Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giant TCR Composite - comments/recommendations?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new frame to use for daily riding and eventually some club training and possibly road racing (if my engine strengthens up and the body slims down).

I've been looking at a number of frames out on the market and have looked at steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon (not to mention all sorts of blends, mixes and 1/2 and 1/2 frames).

I've test ridden Trek OCLV frames, Lemond steel, Klein Aluminum and Alu/Carbon frames, Orbea, Specialized, Cannondale, and many more... I just test rode a Giant TCR Composite frame last night and all I can say is WOW!

I went to a local bike shop where they had one frame left in stock and it's the perfect size. Luckily one of the guys who works there had one he built up for himself in my size he was willing to let me ride, for fit and to see if I liked the feel of the frame. In the span of 10 minutes I was sold on the frame. I know everyone on the board says test rides don't do much since you aren't on the bike for long enough, but I've test ridden everything else under the sun and this is the first bike I've been on where it's like "Whoa! this feels great!" It's nice and stiff when I stand up and jam on the pedals, yet soft and smooth enough over the nastiest road.

Now comes my big question.

These are relatively new frames on the market and I've only seen a few printed reviews and one word of mouth from the guy at the shop. I do know that Once is riding a version of this frame this year and the team seems to really like it, but that could be sponsor dollars talking (who knows).

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, recommendations on these frames?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR Composite - comments/recommendations? [Brian from WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read three reviews in magazines on this frame and all raved about it. Two of the mags were British and one was American. One mag compared it directly with a more expensive Look carbon frame and gave the TCR higher marks. Can't remember the mags names or issue off hand, I have at least two of them lying around somewhere and can get the reference for you if you want.

It's a great frame as long as you fit one of the only four sizes. My road bike is an aluminium TCR. I drool over the composite version.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR Composite - comments/recommendations? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'd be great if you can dig up the magazine references. I'm glad to hear it has been getting good reviews across the board though - especially against the Look.

I'm sized up for a L frame since I'm 6' and have a pretty big build. It fit well on the one I tried, but I just needed a slightly shorter stem than the test model.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR Composite - comments/recommendations? [Brian from WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found two of them. ProCycing, Dec. 2002 and Cycle Sport, Sept. 2002. Both are British mags that gave the comp TCR good reviews. Can't find the TCR vs Look mag at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't delay, buy it TODAY. I've had my TCR composite since January and I love it (I've also got 2 alu TCRs and various other steel, alu and carbon road bikes and MTBs but I rarely ride any of them since I got the composite). Giant have been building with carbon fibre since the late '80s so have plenty of experience. This is probably the best value for money piece of bike exotica you will ever lay your hands on and is an absolute dream to ride. I give it a 10 out of 10 on the Nogometer.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR Composite - comments/recommendations? [Noggin the Nog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious - how different does the comp vs differ. The comp frame is only marginally lighter - 2.1lbs v 2.2 lbs I think, but do you notice a big enough difference in ride quality to make me want to upgrade at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR Composite - comments/recommendations? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The composite is stiffer than the alu and I am faster on my timed climbs than on the alu (1 - 3% but I'd like to average the data over a longer time-span before I come to any conclusions about this). The CF absorbs road buzz to a a surprising degree and the feeling is almost like riding on 35mm touring tyres (without the speed penalty of course) or with a really well-padded saddle. I have ridden a Giant Cadex (alu lugs, carbon tubes) in comparison and the damping effect on the TCR is much better. I notice on my rides over 100km I'm not so tired at the end but whether this is down to the bike or better physical conditioning or a combination of the two I can't really say for certain. I've been riding for 30 years and this is the best bike I've ridden in that time. I love it. A (non-cycling) friend of brother's won the frame in a raffle and my bro offered the guy 300 UK pounds for it ($480??) which he accepted. It was too big for bro so he passed it on to me. Christmas came early this year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy has a shop and would have ordered me one of the frames for a song, however, I just fit right between the M and L sizes. He has one and really likes it . . . but, it fits him and most people like whatever bike they have if it fits them.

It appears to be just as fast as his other bikes :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy - is there anyway you can scan or photocopy those and send them my way? I'd love to read the reviews, but don't want to wait for the back-order copies if I don't have to.

Also - how bad is the wobble in the front-end? I'm potentially moving out into the mountains (Snoq area) in a while and I'd commute in from there, so there would be some screaming hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What wobble in the front end? I haven't noticed any wobble but I've only been able to hit 84km/h with the hills we have here.

Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR Composite - comments/recommendations? [Noggin the Nog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the reviews I've read both online (magazine & customer) have mentioned a wobble when descending.

From CycleSport - April 2003 (pg. 141) "The only downside I've found so far is that the front is a bit wobbly on downhills in crosswinds; it could be a bit more stable and you feel a bit nervous."

Mind you this is from Koldo Gil from ONCE-Eroski so he might have higher speeds than most of us can ever hope to attain.
Quote Reply