Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giant Knock Off's
Quote | Reply
Hi, are these Giant Frames on Ebay from Hong Kong the real deal or knock off's with lesser quality/heavier weight?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400608231319?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [WilliamRitter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they are copies it's good news for giant owners
Means they are no longer looked down upon...
Ie not many fake timex watches...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

if you have to ask...
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:

Awesome. I was thinking the same thing. I'm impressed they even copied the box.

Last edited by: TheGupster: Jul 22, 14 15:05
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
Top of the line Giant frames are likely the most advanced frames made in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know that Giant is based in Taiwan, right? It's pretty close to Hong Kong. Just saying.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knock offs are frequently made in the same plant as the original on the same equipment w the same specs for many other products!
Not sure about bikes - but in electronics knockoffs are often the same stuff just wo the liscencse number.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
shadwell wrote:
Top of the line Giant frames are likely the most advanced frames made in the world.

And you say this based on what facts?

Quote | Reply
Clarkey77 wrote:
Knock offs are frequently made in the same plant as the original on the same equipment w the same specs for many other products!
Not sure about bikes - but in electronics knockoffs are often the same stuff just wo the liscencse number.

With bikes, even if they use the same molds they substitute cheaper fiber and resins to save $$$ on the counterfeits.

The bikes are usually fine, just not as light and with a slightly different ride quality than the legit ones.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly my point..... "No longer looked down upon" ie past tense...

Translation, used to be poorly regarded, now acknowledged as viable...
I may hesitate to say they are lusted after or desired.... Not saying that's right or wrong, just an observation on current market perception. TechnicAlly and functionally I think they are excellent.. But cycling is so oftenore than a functional excellence exercise.... Desire lust passion and emotion have a huge amount to do with many cyclists ride experience.... And machine selection..... Wouldn't be fun otherwise....
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
most likely because quite a few "big name" brands are manufactured or contracted out to Giant factories?

this thread is pretty old - didn't put much effort into googling but you could probably do a quick google yourself and find out that Giant makes alot of bikes for other companies

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/298206/giant-factory-taiwan
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr.Pie wrote:
most likely because quite a few "big name" brands are manufactured or contracted out to Giant factories?

this thread is pretty old - didn't put much effort into googling but you could probably do a quick google yourself and find out that Giant makes alot of bikes for other companies

So b/c a couple of other "big name" brands, who knows which models, are made in their factory, that makes Giant the "most advanced" brand? Um, ok, thanks for all the facts and the suggestion that I google vs you providing actual facts.

Quote | Reply
I said it's most likely why hiro11 said they were the 'most advanced' . I didn't say definitely that's why they were.

No need to respond in the way you did. I was just stating what I found.
I was at work hence I didn't look further.

No need to act so childishly 😝
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WilliamRitter wrote:
Hi, are these Giant Frames on Ebay from Hong Kong the real deal or knock off's with lesser quality/heavier weight?
I Would think that the most direct method to find the answer is to browse the Taiwanese and Chinese regional sites for Giant Bicycles. A quick look at the 2013 bike archive for Taiwan had no matching items and and the only results I found that match that paint scheme with a Google image search for the phrase '2013 Giant TCR Composite' are from/on Ebay.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Jul 23, 14 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr.Pie wrote:
I said it's most likely why hiro11 said they were the 'most advanced' . I didn't say definitely that's why they were.

No need to respond in the way you did. I was just stating what I found.
I was at work hence I didn't look further.

No need to act so childishly 😝

I have to apologize. I incorrectly assumed you were Hiro11 just being lazy tasking me w/ looking up evidence to support his claim. Again, sorry.

Quote | Reply
Giant's are so...blah....vanilla. I always viewed them as one step away from selling in Dicks Sporting Goods. IMO. Gary Fisher bikes are viewed the same way. So generic looking. Thus why buy such bikes when there are so many others that are just as good, yet have some sex appeal. :)

Quote | Reply
Not sure I would be comfortable going down a hill at 45+ mph on something that might be a counterfeit. For piece of mind, I rather buy from an authorized dealer. The extra $$ is worth it to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:
Mr.Pie wrote:

So b/c a couple of other "big name" brands, who knows which models, are made in their factory, that makes Giant the "most advanced" brand? Um, ok, thanks for all the facts and the suggestion that I google vs you providing actual facts.

Didn't the Trinity Advanced pretty much start the super bike trend with the integrated stem / nose cone?
Propel is right there on the front of the curve in establishing aero road bikes.
TCR was always a top road racing bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:
I incorrectly assumed you were Hiro11 just being lazy tasking me w/ looking up evidence to support his claim. Again, sorry.
I said "most advanced" because:

Giant is one of the very few manufacturers that makes all of their own raw materials. For example, Giant custom weaves carbon cloth from raw carbon fibers. They literally take spools of fiber in at one end of their factory and have completed frames come out the other. This allows them to weave continuous structures on their top end frames that are uniquely strong and excess free. Giant also goes as far as custom compounding their own resin, something I don't think anyone else does.

Giant is the largest producer of carbon bike frames in the world. They make frames for basically everyone. They have the scale to make investments in infrastructure and R&D that other manufacturers simply can't afford. You can see this in their top end own-brand frames: the Defy, the TCR and the Propel are all undeniably state-of-the-art and fluff-free frames.

I know this sounds like a Giant ad, but their technology does lead the industry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:
hiro11 wrote:
shadwell wrote:

And you say this based on what facts?

Giant is certaintly one of the most experienced manufacturers of carbon bike frames and components. They are one of the few bike manufacturers actually weaving their own carbon cloth. They also have a very long history of producing carbon bikes and generally own and operate their factories (at least for the high end stuff, not sure about all of the Chinese production facilities).
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [EDS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frame linked in the op is not a knock off.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Knock Off's [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
Giant's are so...blah....vanilla. I always viewed them as one step away from selling in Dicks Sporting Goods. IMO. Gary Fisher bikes are viewed the same way. So generic looking. Thus why buy such bikes when there are so many others that are just as good, yet have some sex appeal. :)

No bike I've ever seen had sex appeal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:

I know. Call me shallow, though, but I really wish they had at least mid-pack paint jobs.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
irontri wrote:
I incorrectly assumed you were Hiro11 just being lazy tasking me w/ looking up evidence to support his claim. Again, sorry.
I said "most advanced" because:

Giant is one of the very few manufacturers that makes all of their own raw materials. For example, Giant custom weaves carbon cloth from raw carbon fibers. They literally take spools of fiber in at one end of their factory and have completed frames come out the other. This allows them to weave continuous structures on their top end frames that are uniquely strong and excess free. Giant also goes as far as custom compounding their own resin, something I don't think anyone else does.

Giant is the largest producer of carbon bike frames in the world. They make frames for basically everyone. They have the scale to make investments in infrastructure and R&D that other manufacturers simply can't afford. You can see this in their top end own-brand frames: the Defy, the TCR and the Propel are all undeniably state-of-the-art and fluff-free frames.

I know this sounds like a Giant ad, but their technology does lead the industry.

Nice. You took their propaganda right from their technology section of their website and speak it as gospel. lol...I could go to almost any bike manufacturers' website and provide their "proof" or "evidence" why they are the best over all others.

Giants are nice bikes. But just because they have a long history does not make them the best. Just because they make their own raw materials has really nothing to do with being the best bikes. They just choose to do it in-house to either save costs or have a proprietary process that they feel is better (or cheaper). Uniquely strong and excess free? Most big brands' top level bikes are uniquely strong and excess free. That's what strategically placed layers of fiber does and that's what sanding and using bladders does.

Who does things best and who are the "best" or industry leaders? Those who use CFD. Those who model w/ FEA/FEM. Those who do extensive wind tunnel testing. I may have missed it, but I did not see one mention of any of the aforementioned on Giant's website. Do they do those things? Maybe, but they don't promote that they do. Wonder why not?

Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
shadwell wrote:

said no one ever.....

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next