Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [Sub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just don't mess with it! I had 3 show up on the ball of my left foot, I tried duct tape, scraping and then ductape, had the doc freeze them, nothing worked for me. I just decided to live with it (I couldn't feel any difference anyways). A month or so later they are so small and smoothed over that I couldn't even show you where they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought some of the Dr. Scholl's salicylic acid and applied that everyday. Also I got one of those "foot graters." What I did is I would uses the foot grater to remove most of the dead skin off of the plantar wart, Then I took a sharp razor blade and would cut away as much of the wart as I could without bleeding. I found an optimized technique where I would come in at a very shallow angle and cut the skin. After I removed as much of the skin as possible (as much as you can bare), I would apply the salicylic acid again. Apply that acid a couple times a day. Don't be surprised if there is a hole in your foot. It will take a few months for it to completely go away, but that was the only thing that worked for me. Also clean the area with alcohol before you start cutting and grating. You can spread the wart to other unaffected areas.

I tried the freeze away stuff and it didn't do anything, so don't waste your money on those if it is a pretty big wart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get a scalpel blade and cut it out. Toe nail clippers also work for this, you just have to dig a bit more and it seems to be a bit more bloody. Or you can hit up your friend/doc for some liquid nitrogen to burn it off. I ran about 5 min after freezing a deep one out of the ball of my foot. Did it hurt? Well it didn't tickle but didn't stop me from running.

Those, with the exception of going to my doc, have worked well for me in the past.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a few of these. Last one on the ball of my foot. Tried freezing it (at my Dr's office).
Then tried salcylic acid until it was down and having him freeze it. None of that worked.

Went to podiatrist. After IMAZ he cut it out. Then it got infected. Twice.

But it hasn't been back since. Somtimes excision is the only answer.

I ran about 20 days of the 100/100 last year with it infected. Didn't say it was
smart.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heres what I have had luck with.
1. Get a few mach3 razors and gently shave excess skin off wart. Just enough to smooth skin; you dont want wart/foot to bleed.
2. Put compound.w on wart followed by duck tape for a day.
3. Take tape off & Let wart dry out 2 days.
4. Repeat process. ..gently shave excess skin off...compound-w on wart followed by duck tape..let dry 2 days etc..

Always has worked for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub wrote:
Does anyone have any good suggestions on getting rid of plantar warts. I have 2 on the ball of my right foot that I just can't get rid of. I have tried duct tape which is really good at almost getting them gone but never works completely, and the over the counter freeze method. I have hesitated on the cryogenic freezing as I don't want to be kept out of running too long.

Anyone with experience or suggestions?

Have you tried Duct Tape method? One of the best methods as far as I know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dermatologist froze mine off in a very quick office procedure. I was back running the same day. It worked very well.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had them cut out a couple different times. Both times I had them cut back they just grew back, and these things were hallowed out big time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fought with them for a year and doc tried everything (cutting, burning, etc). Finally, i read that Tagamet can work wonders. google Tagamet and Warts. Closest thing to a miracle ever. They were gone within 2 weeks and never came back. Amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only thing that worked for me was quitting grad school. I fought those things for years... Freezing, shaving, etc. quit grad school and just started training a lot and they were gone in weeks.

In other words, try reducing the stress in your life and maybe your body can take care of things itself. Of course, quitting your job/school/ family/ etc. may not be an option. :)

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey i totally got rid of some that were hideously hard to get rid of and i did it in a DAY, having tried all the obvious methods AND gone to the podiatrist four times. NOte: His treatment left me in revolting pain & could not work out as hobbling. Anyway: what worked. Plantar Wart is hpv - you have to clear THAT to kill the wart. So i got Andrographis Compound - a powerful blend of herbal anti-virals, took a therapeutic dose of that, Plus i mixed some powdered vitamin c with tumeric and crushed garlic...I applied that to it topically & next morning the wart
had turned black. That night, it fell out. It's a completely sort of self-invented method but it worked brilliantly for me. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [cth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cth wrote:
Use a prescription medication called 5-fluorouracil.

I had a plantar wart that lasted for years and before getting a prescription for this from a dermotologist, tried everything commonly suggested: liquid nitrogen, salicylic acid, surgical cutting (done by a doctor), and maceration (covering with duct tape). FYI, running while using fluorouracil wasn't a problem.

Addition: I just googled it and found clinical trials claim that 95% of plantar warts are eradicated with 12 weeks use of 5-fluorouracil.

I had a similar experience in high school. I had surgery to remove warts in both of my feet and had huge, gaping holes as a result. They ended up coming back. The Fluorouracil was the only thing that ended up working. It works best if you get a pumice stone or use a razor to trim them down a bit too. Good luck!
Last edited by: krez: Jan 2, 13 5:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They thrive by you picking at and messing with them. They love the negative attention. That's why duct tape works so well. Ignore it.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
"BRAGGS" Apple Cider Vinegar [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 Table Spoons in 1 cup of water, 3 X's per day. Plantar warts gone in a week.

I have 2 on my right hand. I tried the tumeric mixed with raw honey, covered with duct tape, and it turned black and fell off within 72 hours.

From what I have learned, the virus is always there and never goes away. Certain diets can help keep warts at bay. From some basic research, I found apple cider vinegar (Braggs vesion) raises the human bodies natural pH. This is good for athletes & killing off warts and certain skin conditions.

I have some friends who soak a cotton ball in ACV apply directly to the wart, cover with Duct Tape, and leave over night. I found this to be painful as shit and a little overkill because the damn wart never hurt to begin with. But, I have seen it work on many people.

OFF TOPIC: 5 hour energy and coffe have NOTHING on Braggs ACV; this stuff gives you a great boost. I have found some other mixtures that I use before I surf in the winter in Delaware with lower 40's water temps; Raw honey + Bragg's ACV and a shot of Brandy all mixed in 1 cup of water. Taste funky as hell, but works. I wouldn't use this before a tempo run or a race. Winter surfing and the natural (and not so natural) bacteria's in the ocean plague many surfers with sinusitis. This has kept me from getting a sinus problem since I started it 4 years ago. Low pH in our bodies can cause many problems; ACV is also a great way to help with the "Endurance Munchies..." you know, the kind where you want to keep eating and you can't stop?

(FYI, I don't work for Bragg's, I just swear by it.)
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd much rather deal with Plantar Warts than expose myself "unnecessary" to chemotherapeutic. I get them and I just shave them to keep them from hurting and they eventually go away
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the liquid nitrogen will zap the shit out of it. Here are the steps i used.
1. cut a hole in a piece of duct tape and cover around the wart so just the wart is exposed.
2. take a can of that compressed air with the long tip on the end.
3. shake the can up and TURN UPSIDE down, this will help the liquid come out
4. Blast the shit out of the spot and the nitrogen will freeze/ burn it fast.
5. it will scab up cover with bandaid for about aweek, should be gone

---------------------------------
Hold my Beer and watch this!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [YVR Drew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YVR Drew wrote:
Don't screw around with all these "home made remedies", go to your Doc and get him/her to hit them with the liquid nitrogen, it's fast and effective. I would be surprised if you missed more then a day or two of running. I had six on one foot a few years ago and I was back running in a week. Then, always wear shower thongs when using public showers, it's the most common place to pick up plantars warts.

Agreed....I had some small ones to start out with, I tried the simple stuff which works for others but did not work for me - I put-off going to the Dr for a freeze thinking it would leave me out for too long. By the time I finally had time to justify going in, they were considerably worse. Sand paper, the saylic acid, freezing, etc were no match and I made no progress after several treatments. Eventually the Dr resorted to injections (don't remember what it was, but she explained it was similar to that used for cancer treatments to kill the skin cells). The injections left me in extreme pain for a few days, and in significant pain for about a week as everything blistered, etc) but I continued to do my runs and even had a half marathon in the middle of one of them.

Long story short, don't avoid getting these knocked out sooner rather than later. Chances are you can get rid of them with freezing if you catch them early. The freezing is not that bad and should only cause you to miss a day or two and could save you from the more extensive treatments.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [cldtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Mark Twain's remedy

(straight from wikipedia)

Tom Sawyer proposes "spunk-water" (or "stump-water", the water collecting in the hollow of a tree stump) as a remedy for warts on the hand. You put your hand into the water at midnight and say:
Barley-corn, barley-corn, injun-meal shorts,Spunk-water, spunk-water, swaller these wartsand then "walk away quick, eleven steps, with your eyes shut, and then turn around three times and walk home without speaking to anybody. Because if you speak the charm's busted."
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [YVR Drew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YVR Drew wrote:
Don't screw around with all these "home made remedies", go to your Doc and...

This.

I finally went to my doctor on Monday for what I thought was a wart and it turned out to be a calcified sweat duct. If you have medical insurance it is cheaper to simply go to the pediatrist to start with.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
I'd much rather deal with Plantar Warts than expose myself "unnecessary" to chemotherapeutic. I get them and I just shave them to keep them from hurting and they eventually go away

That's a good policy, but my case wasn't "unnecessary." My "last resort" was surgery, and not even that worked. I'd consider my case pretty extreme though, so definitely explore other options first.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had some on my left hand for about 10 years. I tried everything and continually tried everything. Compound W, freeze, burn, cut, duct tape. What work the best was garlic. I crushed up some garlic and put it on a smaller wart. I covered that in duct tape and left on as long as I could. It came off and I noticed nothing but within a couple weeks it went away and I was shocked. I put it on the big one that seemed to fight everything and it beat that one too. Plus, I barely kept the garlic on it. But it still went away.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for using sharp, curved nose toenail clippers. Had one on the ball of my foot, had to work my way around it to cut the deep root, but after a year or so of doing this home surgery every other week, I got the bastid.

I have had others that stayed on my foot for a decade or more, then just gave up all of a sudden.

Viruses, go figure
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [baudyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least you don't have Planters Nuts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one on my foot once. Tweezers. Pulled each of those little suckers out. Hurt a lot, but only took an hour. Then put some duct tape over it and never had a problem again.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting rid of Plantar Warts [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weren't you worried about blood poisoning or causing a servere infection? (Yikes!)
Last edited by: TriBeer: Jan 3, 13 12:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next