Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting back to trail running
Quote | Reply
What's your timeline for adapting into trail running?

I used to run trails all the time so I never thought I'd be asking this question. Right out my back door I have miles and miles of reasonably technical trails; some loose rock, some scrambling, lots of up and down. There are also some less technical trails right by my work that I can run over lunch. I used to run them frequently and my legs, knees, and ankles seemed bombproof.

Then a few seasons ago I started doing some longer distance tri and began running pretty much everything on the road. I've been missing the trails and I have a race in late July where the run is all uphill trails. Problem is, the last time I went out to run trails I used to run all the time my ITB and left calk went to s**t and my ankles felt a lot less stable. Seems like I've got to build back into it.

What do people recommend? Start conservative, like hikes with the family, and then add in some run-walking/hiking? How long does it usually take for the legs to adapt to semi-technical trails?
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back to trail running [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run 25k's (trail races) on a pretty regular basis, at least prior to COVID
My advice is that technical trail running is mostly about concentration- you can't look away from the trail. If you are already road running and have endurance built you just need to add that. And as you start to get tired at the end of a run your powers of concentration decrease.
I kind of get into a flow trail running where I'm dialed in, and that keeps me upright.
Quote Reply