Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting Through Injury
Quote | Reply
So, I posted here a few weeks ago about a knee issue. Going to PT and it seemed to be getting better but still having pain on the inside of the knee when I run.

Couple of questions:
1) is it logical or just my own coping mechanism to think that if it doesn't hurt to cycle at all, than cycling is ok? Obviously, I will follow PT suggestions but curious of the thoughts?
2) Getting through an injury mentally is tough as shit! I am mentally crossing Boston Marathon off the list as I don't want to push it and end up having a crappy 2019. Next up is IM Lake Placid, just want to be ready for it. Besides, mentally taking races off the books to take off that self induced pressure, any other tips for getting through an injury like this.

Appreciate any insights
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Through Injury [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Does it hurt to put weight on? For all my past injuries if it doesn't hurt cycling/weight-bearing I've been fine to do that, but listen to your PT.
2. Yes injuries are super rough and can be a bit soul crushing. I would recommend not signing up for any more races until you're on the mend. For me, it always helps to focus on my weaknesses when I'm sidelined. Whether that's swimming (really focusing on technique or speed for example), diet, or strength in the gym the injury time can become really productive by allowing you to improve those weak points.

Good luck! I know its tough.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Through Injury [TMR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No pain to put weight on at all. Just a pain when I start to walk or walking a lot. After the original injury I took a two weeks off running and gradually started back....Felt good for the first few walk/runs then started bothering me again. I am following PT advice....maybe a need a month off to let it completely heal and in the meantime work hard on the bike and the pool. The crazy thing is, since I was off running for two weeks, I had a strong bike block of training and had an all time high 20 minute FTP....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are doing the right things.

Generally, if it doesn't hurt its OK to do. But, as you say... Follow your PT.

If it's any consolation, I came back from a 10 year injury hiatus... Two years ago. So, yeah... Injuries suck. Most of that time, I never thought I'd be able to workout... Let alone race. All I can say is keep doing what you are doing... Follow your pt advice and take your time coming back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it doesn't hurt then it's generally OK, but yes listen to your PT. And also listen to your body, make sure that it's not just a combination of endorphins and fear of not training that is overcoming the pain when you cycle.

Re the mental side, yes it sucks but also a good opportunity to work on weaknesses and focus on recovery. I often find that short to medium periods of time off for an injury are a useful reminder that fitness really doesn't disappear that quickly and that rest can be beneficial. Obviously if it's an injury that is stopping all the sports for weeks or months that's different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meniscus tear in 2012...
Lots o' PT for a year
More cycling
Only can run 4x week

Other options:
Aqua jogging
Elliptical Trainer
Inline skating

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
So, I posted here a few weeks ago about a knee issue. Going to PT and it seemed to be getting better but still having pain on the inside of the knee when I run.

Couple of questions:
1) is it logical or just my own coping mechanism to think that if it doesn't hurt to cycle at all, than cycling is ok? Obviously, I will follow PT suggestions but curious of the thoughts?
2) Getting through an injury mentally is tough as shit! I am mentally crossing Boston Marathon off the list as I don't want to push it and end up having a crappy 2019. Next up is IM Lake Placid, just want to be ready for it. Besides, mentally taking races off the books to take off that self induced pressure, any other tips for getting through an injury like this.

Appreciate any insights

All I can say is be patient. Why do you do this? Is coming back too soon going to result in compromising the longevity of your athletic career? Is your livelihood dependent on triathlon? Be thankful for what you can do and while coming back remember that less is always more. That doesn't mean go cold turkey as all soft-tissue can benefit in my IMHO from blood flow and activity.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the above is solid advice. I have had 3 "serious" injuries in the past 10 years that have meant time off running or all three SBR for extended periods of time(months). As much as "Listen to your Ortho/PT" is good advice, it is only part of that relationship, being brutally honest with your Ortho/PT is pretty important too. My last knee rehab cycling felt fine-really good in fact. My PT was concerned that hard efforts on the bike might cause fatigue that would mask gains or limit them during an aggressive PT schedule-we worked that out by putting hard roller sessions after PT, not before. If you do end up couch bound for any real time then I offer my Spring season couch therapy-good chocolate, better coffee and the upcoming Spring Classics. Watching one day races has always inspired me. Hope to see you healthy at Placid! Heal fast and well.
Quote Reply