Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting Better now..Prednisone sucks!
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago, I posted a message about the balance between training and life. Well, I think I found that balance. I am finally getting better after a month of inactivity and A LOT of thinking. No doubt, I learned alot from this experience. Basically, I was diagnosed with a very mild form of Bells Palsy which stemmed from a virus that I originally tried to "train through". The virus effected my 7th Cranial nerve and could have been prevented had I just listened to my body. Instead I ignored the symptoms and it only got worse and pushed me over the edge big time. I was so severly overtrained that my body shut itself down and could not fight infections.

Following my diagnosis, I had to take Prednisone for 3 weeks and that shit totally waked me out. Created extreme fatigue, nervousness beyond my control and it supressed my immune system even worse than it was making me susceptable to other virus's. On top of all that, my body went from doing 2 a day's at a very high level to nothing at all at the drop of a hat. I didn't react well. I was deeply depressed. My anxiety level was raised from the Prednisone thapy and I had to deal with small panic attacks. My resting HR is finally coming down after the steroid therapy and my energy is slowly coming back. I just am so damned thankful that I didnt have a tumor or something worse.

So now that I have to re-build my base and work at geting fit again. Forget about my original A races. I have to re focus and adjust my goals. I look at this experience as an invaluable training tool that will ultimatly help me improve. I found the balance. I found it the hard way.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Better now..Prednisone sucks! [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you're doing well and headed in the right direction. Keep it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have to re focus and adjust my goals. I look at this experience as an invaluable training tool that will ultimatly help me improve. I found the balance. I found it the hard way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar experience with prednisone. I took it for a large, puffy and distorted cheek that I got from a bee sting while swimming (crazy, the things that happen). I was EXTREMELY anxious for the day or two I took the stuff but didn't realize the connection until after I was off it and started feeling normal again. It is scary how nervous I felt.

-dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah... been there done that... Bell's palsy... followed by Shingles... just lovely... Probable culprit was youth and ignorance. It was my inability to understand that better performance results from proper recovery and not just training. So,... about those high level "2 a days" you mentions. I tried that (with a full time job) and found out that "2 a days" = 1 yr. of missed triathons. I never thought that was a good trade off. And, I also swore off those damn generic magazine training scheduals.

At any rate, that too was a life long learning experience that actually improved my ability to become a better triathlete. Welcome to the club.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Better now..Prednisone sucks! [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah.. I'm lucky that I didn't have Shingles. Just a mild case of Bells. The Steroids are the worst...I never felt that unstable on medication in my life. I felt as though I was constantly out of homeostasus, the body's natural steady state.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting back to things. It's just so traumatic to have what we had.

Thanks for the words everyone. I appreciate it!
Quote Reply