Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Get the fat kid to Lake Placid!
Quote | Reply
Am I allowed to post my Ironman Foundation fundraising website here? Is that lame?
Quote Reply
Re: Get the fat kid to Lake Placid! [1drbread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone done the fund raising route before? I'm thinking about doing a 50/50 drawing right before Christmas to pay for all those presents. Drawing would be on video and shared on Facebook with multiple witnesses.

Interest?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't openly ask for donations on here; put a link and brief explanation of the fundraising in your signature line. (that should avoid mot issues as I have gone that route, and seen others take that approach as well).

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience, a little earlier than Thanksgiving is a great time to solicit donations from family and friends. It is around the time to "give thanks" for what they have, yet far enough away from Christmas that they aren't strapped for cash.

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Yes. It is lame. I did/don't have money to purchase a general entry in the 1.5 days it was open either, but it is lame to ask people to pay for me to go play triathlon.

2) What are you going to do to contribute to anything? Finish a race? How or what does that do for the betterment of anything other than let you play a game that you can not afford to pay? I know this sounds bitter, and it is to some degree, as I too would LOVE to play this game more, but it is too damn expensive for our family, and no one values those individuals who actually make something these days as much as those who just shift money around.

3) What does the Ironman foundation actually go to? Have they given to a soup kitchen, built any schools, provided clean water or a vaccination program? Let me tell you; there have been quite a few 'race for a cure' things in the past 20 years...and guess what...every time the racers go out, THERE HAS NOT BEEN A SINGLE CURE FOUND ON ANY RACE COURSE! It is Bullshit! No one is racing for a cure, they are racing to have fun and play a game, but they feel better about themselves because the feel that they are contributing to something that makes a difference...but it does not. Even the money that goes to 'research'. Almost all Bullshit. IF there is any money that goes to research, it is academic research which is focused on publishing papers; not finding cures. Yes, there may be good intentions, but good intentions do not save any children from dying.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but life and reality is harsh. Your request is lame, and asking if it is lame makes it even more lame (aka: ultraLame or MegaLame).

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
#1--Thank you for your opinion. And the other constructive ideas posted above.

#2--I can afford to play, but a work requirement didn't allow me time to sign up in the 22 hours or so that the slots were available. I am actually on the hook for $1750 no instead of the regular fee of $285 as a matter of fact. The difference being, all of the $1750 will go towards a good cause. I'm sorry your lot in life no longer affords you the opportunities to do the things you love and are passionate about. I give back to my community every day for the record. I have volunteer coached for 18 different teams in my area. Half of those teams didn't have one of my kids on them. I do it because I love to watch the smiles on those faces and to see them improve practice after practice, game after game, year after year.

#3--Do a little research. http://ironmanfoundation.org/2015inreview/ That was 2015 alone. That's real money going to real people. Ask Jordan Rapp if they've given to his charity, World Bike Relief, as they are a partner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1drbread wrote:
#1--Thank you for your opinion. And the other constructive ideas posted above.

#2--I can afford to play, but a work requirement didn't allow me time to sign up in the 22 hours or so that the slots were available. I am actually on the hook for $1750 no instead of the regular fee of $285 as a matter of fact. The difference being, all of the $1750 will go towards a good cause. I'm sorry your lot in life no longer affords you the opportunities to do the things you love and are passionate about. I give back to my community every day for the record. I have volunteer coached for 18 different teams in my area. Half of those teams didn't have one of my kids on them. I do it because I love to watch the smiles on those faces and to see them improve practice after practice, game after game, year after year.

#3--Do a little research. http://ironmanfoundation.org/2015inreview/ That was 2015 alone. That's real money going to real people. Ask Jordan Rapp if they've given to his charity, World Bike Relief, as they are a partner.

1) I understand that my opinion and even my data does not seem to count; even in the face of preventing tens of thousands of preventable deaths; so I completely appreciate this patronizing point...but I digress.

2) If you can afford to play, then why are you asking here? As an aside, it is not that my lot in life no longer affords me these opportunities, it is that it never really did, and that is my own choice; and I try not to complain too much about it; so I apologize for coming across that way. I think that it is awesome that you give your time to your community! Good on you! I truly commend that, and wish that more would do the same. Thank you.

3) They actually don't do too awful compared to other 'charitable' orgs...but direct from their website: $1.6M given away. If you do the numbers, and say one estimates 100 spots sold on average for each IM and 50 spots sold for each 1/2 IM, this comes out to $2.8M for the IMs and $1.988M for the 1/2 IMs for a total of $4.788M per annum. This is for JUST the amount they say is going to the IM foundation (not the other half of the entry which goes to their bottom line...which is fine as they are in the business of making money by selling us races). What happened to the other $3.188M? By this math (just back of a napkin stuff mind you, as I do not have access to their financial spread sheets) that comes out to giving away just 33.4% of their take for charitable causes. The rest is for overhead???

Anyway, I do apologize for coming across as an asshole. It was a kneejerk reaction on a bad day....
but I still think that putting up a gofundme for racing is lame; but again that is just MHO from a guy that no one listens to.

Stephen J

Quote | Reply
So, how much can I count on you for StephenJ? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1drbread wrote:
So, how much can I count on you for StephenJ? :-)

Ill tell you what; Ill give you all proceeds from my triathlon related IP out of my patent portfolio. You will see the transfer occur to your gofundme account..........Now :^)

Stephen J