Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gerard, anyone P2K seatpost HELP!!!!
Quote | Reply
I leave for tomorrow for IM Brazil, and while packing the bike noticed that the bolt that holds the saddle in place in the aero seat tube was stripped. (actually, the bolt is fine, but the aluminum insert that slides into the seat tube lost its threads when i loosened the bolt. I need a quick fix asap...any suggestions??

thanks. mike.

"A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." G.K. Chesterton
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, anyone P2K seatpost HELP!!!! [halfacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call Cervelo directly. I've twice had similar type problems, and they've been very responsive...once even overnighting the needed part to my hotel at the race venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you already visited the LBS where you got the bike. In a situation like that I think it is appropriate to rob one off another bike to get a customer going. If it were just for a training ride I would not be inclined to do that, but leaving for Ironman is different. I would ask the store you got it from. If you mail ordered it, well then, you just learned something didn't you?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, anyone P2K seatpost HELP!!!! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

I do not have much insight, but other then the lbs, calling cervelo has always been helpful to me. I would also mention that you are about to do an IM. I guess you will not be at the springlake5!

Tom Demerly, that was an inappropriate response to say the least. I have purchased my bikes locally. If Mike has not do you think your comment "you just learned something" is in any way shape or form going to help? The stress we feel before an IM, never mind going outside the country for one with tapering and nerves is unreal. I was surprised at your comment and found it out of character, based on your other comments. I understand you own an LBS, but unfortunately not everyone has access to a shop like yours. I have met Mike at two races and he is a first class guy. You treated him like a misbehaving school child.

Rockfish

AKA Greg Sheehan - gssheehan@aol.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, anyone P2K seatpost HELP!!!! [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Greg- thanks for the reply.

I was going to let Tom's comment go, it is out of character, and since I am a loyal LBS supporter, I felt a response wasn't necessary.

Since there are no LBS within a couple of hours that stock Cervelo, and the nearest one will order them, but not stock them, the LBS route won't work. (Although I have been to three, and the third may be able to tap the piece and fix it, on my way now.

Left a voice mail for Cervelo customer service this a.m., waiting to hear form them.

No spring lake five for me, off to IM Brazil, and then five days in rio.

take care, have a great season.

mike.

"A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." G.K. Chesterton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right. I'm a bad person.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike,

Keep calling the number press every button imaginable on the automated attendant!

Again all the best in Brazil! both at the race and fun afterwards!

Greg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the same thing happened to me.......

my solution took about 30 minutes to fix, but requires a bit of handy work, and a tap & die set. i just drilled it out for next size bigger fine thread bolt and put new threads in, and purchased a larger bolt. there is plenty of material in the nugget for this, and i think they should have used the bigger bolt originally. it worked beautifully, and the bigger threads are a lot less likely to strip. the opening in the back of the post had to be made very slightly bigger to accomodate the larger head bolt. if you don't have the tools, and your lbs doesn't have another nugget, and cervelo can't fedex to brazil..... call a couple shops or friends that can tap the nugget for a larger bolt. bike shops, local hardware stores, service stations, lawn mower shops, whatever.... just ask them if they can redrill and tap for a new bolt. i think i did 3/8 fine thread.

i also made the same stupid << sorry - not stupid.... just the circumstances were stupid.... (as long as we are watching our manners) >>mistake with the seat clamp. it was the silver one. they have changed the design to the black one, and should be changed regardless. if the silver clamp has not been stripped, it will be, and the new black clamp is better because of the seat angle adjustment. the silver one is splined, so it is difficult to fine tune the angle, where the new black one has a more dynamic adjustment mechanism, and can be set to very finite adjustments.

the bright side....good thing this happened before you leave rather than the day before the race.

good luck.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Last edited by: TheMonkey: May 20, 03 8:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The LBS comment may help some of the other readers that may read it . When I had my shop it was not unusual for local people to mail order then come to us when they needed help Fast!!!!!!! Of course we helped at no added cost but!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are totally out of luck from other sources, I have one I could send you. I don't know how to ship to Brazil though. I think I can trust you to get it replaced eventually.

Art Franke
Quote Reply
Problem solved...thanks... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The third LBS did the trick, tapped the nugget, rethreaded with "healacoil"? and screwed it back in, no problem, took the guy ten minutes...he maintains its "better than new" b/c the steel bolt is now threading into steel threads that are bound to the aluminum...we'll see...it only needs to be good for 112 miles...

interesting that no other LBS came up with the same idea.

(still no call back from Cervelo)

thanks for all the responses...and ajfranke, the offer you made blows me away. thanks.

mike.

Quote Reply
Re: Problem solved...thanks... [halfacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is correct on the helicoil,it is a good and commom way of fixing stripped threads,if you have any future problems with it you could have that part remade using(stainless) steel instead of Aluminum.Have a great trip/race.
Quote Reply
Re: Problem solved...thanks... [halfacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was happy to help out. What goes around comes around. I couldn't imagine an IM being trashed over a part like that.

Best of luck in Brazil.
Quote Reply