Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored?
Quote | Reply
ok, i am relatively new to the sport (2 years or so) and i was wondering--out of pure curiosity--if AG athletes can get "sponsorships." i've heard of some companies offering the better AG athletes stuff at cost. with all of the talk about companies battling for the pros, i was just wondering if/how AG athletes got sponsored. if at all, i imagine they would have to be national-level calibur at the least. once again, i am just curious--I am a MOP'er (4:42 HIM)--i am asking because i just got smoked by some really fast guys at a local race and was wondering about sponsorships. for now i'm happy to be "racing for the hell of it."
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [whineyass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutley. high ranking AG's get sponsorships...

Personally I know of 1 AG who has the following sponsors.

GU

Computrainer

CAT

Aegis

Syntace
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet..... is this a triathlete? did they seek out the sponsor? i.e. did the call up AEGIS and say "ehy, i'm ridin' your bike and i'm kickin' ass, so what can you do for me?"
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [whineyass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to chime in here becasue I'm a loud mouth know it all, but I am not Gerard or Herbert.

There are sponsorships and there are contributions.

Sponsorships are a business arrangement between an agency, athlete, team and a company with aproduct to sell. The bottom line is: Sales. When a company enters into a sponsorship arrangement with someone they have one question: How can you sell more goods for me? How can we quantify it?

A contribution, often done locally under the guise of "sponsorship" is when certain athletes, individuals or organizations are given product/cash/consideration/discounts as protection money, favors, support for charitable events, good will, etc.

When an athlete appraoches a company with a sponsorship proposal I suggest the first thing out of your mouth and on your resume should be something to the affect of, "I will increase your sales of XXXX by XXX amount by doing this, that and the other thing."

That is a compelling pitch (provided you fill in the "XXXX" parts with something tangible.)

Sponsorship is sales.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
see www.javelintriathlonteam.com for info on AG sponsorships
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sponsorship is a relatively vague term as there are really various levels of sponsorship. Even among pros you find that there are varied levels of sponsorship, from getting free product and bonuses, to "just getting products", to having use of a bike for the season, to buying bike at a discount. Yes, that is even true for pros.
Regarding agregroupers there are various discount levels which are typically handled through local bike shops (as the sponsored athlete is supposed to drive business to that shop). Usually what happens, in the late fall of each year athletes send in their resumes and proposals for the season ahead and by late december we make decisions on who we support at which level and of course it also depends also on the budget availability. Because even a discount of a bike goes against the marketing budget.
I hope this helps.
Herbert
Litespeed/QR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-I am a MOP'er (4:42 HIM)--

What part of the country is 4:42 MOP? I want to know so I can stay away from those races and at least try and fool myself into thinking I am a MOP. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Herbert--and to everyone else--i've always been curious how that side of the business worked. Herbert--is the process you mention below pretty standard for all bike companies? do you look solely at the athlete's credentials? or do you also take into account the area in which the athlete will be training/racing in (for an AGer)?
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends what you have to offer the company and who you know. I am no hugely talented athlete, but because I have a coaching business and am well known in the sport (14 years), I have more sponsors that give me free stuff than a lot of pro's out there. The difference is that a lot of pro's out there think that they should just be offered free stuff without giving anything back to the company..........some age groupers can offer a lot more than some pro's...................now don't get me wrong my wife was a high level pro, so I'm not bashing pro's, just some of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
--I am a MOP'er (4:42 HIM)--
Dude, even on a fast course, 4:42 isn't MOP.
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in the local races i don't do so bad, but any regional race i enter i usually get spanked. the 4:42 was at the muncie endurathon, which is a pretty fast course if you don't mind heat. my category isn't that huge (25-29male), but it's full of those ex-college swimmers!! they put way too much time into me before i can make up for it on the run. so yeah, i think i'm about MOP when it all comes out. just wanted to stress that i'm asking out of curiousity and that this is not a veiled attempt at getting a sponsor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still say you are being too modest.
http://www.buffalospringslaketriathlon.com/bslt/results/2004/BSLT%20OVERALL%20WITH%20SPLITS.txt
or
http://www.sportstats.ca/res2004/croixh.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stop it--you're making me blush. i'm really sorry i mentioned the time--it wasn't to brag, i really just wanted to stress that this was a harmless little inquiry. didn't want you guys to think i was too chickenshit to approach herbert/gerard in person if i was THAT good. anyway, i'm too new at this thing to know where i stand. hell, i just learned how to ride a bike (literally) 3 years ago--learned to swim soon after that. the running is the thing i suck at the least. anyway, i know there are plenty of fast guys on this board and i was curious if any of them went thru the sponsorship thing. i don't mind living vicariously thru their DAMN FAST exploits!! this all came about after joining a local bike shop team and getting some pretty sweet deals--i was curious how an AGer would do it if they liked a particular bike/brand. modest or not, compared to most on this board i'm MOP for sure, which is fine by me. i'll let francois and Mr. A (among many others) wow us with their times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having been and continue to be on both sides of "sponsorship", the underlying questions is ... "can the sponsoree help with marketing sponsor product(s), help the sponsor sell product, and drive traffic to local (or other) retail outlets?" Understanding the side of being a sponsor/retailer in the past has helped we acquire sponsors, develop relationships AND most importantly nurture these relationships. Too many athletes ask for sponsorships/gear just because they are good/fast, that only works for a select group of individuals.

whineyass i'd suggest going through your local bike shop, running store etc ... work with them on a tie in between shop/company/product/you

Best of Luck!

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: trifaster: Mar 30, 05 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, when I raced at Muncie a couple years ago 4:42 was better than top 5% OVERALL and even last year it was better than top 10%. that is way the hell better than MOP'r. It's called All-American!
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a good point--i have always been really big on loyalty (get that from ma). if someone helps you out, you return the favor. showing appreciation and reciprocating should be the norm, but today it seems people are surprised when you do those things. hell, i couldn't tell you all the things i'd be willing to do, but i ain't at that level, so i don't have to worry about it. i'll stick to supporting my LBS, who has graciously allowed me to be on the newly formed "multisport" team and offered huge discounts. with all the recent threads on pros and their sponsors (and all the recent swapping among the two) i was just curious how this played out at a smaller level.
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [don] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how did you like the muncie course? like i said, it was pretty flat and the wind wasn't bad at all. the run was pretty warm and mile markers on the run were all screwed up--good thing i had a HR monitor to keep me in check. i had a good day out there and consider myself lucky. i'm not even close to being all-american though--i'd have to learn how to swim just to make all-county!! i actually have 3 training partners who have won world championships in various categories for both tri and du, so i know what that level for AG looks like. i'm headed to powerman AL in 2 weeks--that will surely be a humbling experience. last year, for example, i was 15th/21 in my AG. and i still ran 31min and 33min for the 2 8k runs!! that's why i'm goin' with the MOP designation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are doing EXACTLY the right thing ... good for you! BTW - you are no MOP'er ;)

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is very easy to identify Whineyass as being MOP, you just get to define "MOP" as "everybody between the first place guy and the last place guy."

Good for you for having some good genes and good training.
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard, Herbert, and others--do AG athletes get sponsored? [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got two friends who did eagleman last year and they both missed kona by 1 spot in their AG's. now THAT is freakin' awesome. i guess it all depends who you compare yourself to. anyway, i think the thread has gotten a little off-topic. do any of you guys (other than ones who have spoken up) know someone getting a sponsorship/donation-type deal? don't need to name names/companies, but how did they do it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my first post on Slowtwitch! I can't believe I have stopped lurking and finally posted. I liked this post b/c I used to ask this same questions...sponsorship and AGers ? How?

I am a sponsorsed AGrouper. Honestly, it is due to results as well as I am a triathlon coach and do a TON of different running, triathlon and swim clinics in my area. I volunteer at local races and do a ton of community work with Beginners and kids for Triathlon or running. I have either been asked to wear certain sponsors stuff or in some cases I have sent full resumes out.

Some of my sponsors are: Rudy Project (awesome!), Local Bike shop - so last year I rode a Blade and didn't care for it, so this year I am on a Javelin (liking it now)., Local Running store, so I am fully outfitted by Brooks (Free shoes/clothes all year)......Used to have Powerbar until I got pregnant and they dropped me (rude!)...so now I am strictly a CLIF girl.

I did qualify last year for Kona and my PR for the 1/2 IM - since that is what you are talking about is 4:40. I am a female....

It is all about relationships too. I work really hard for my sponsors and NEVER mess up on giving them the respect they deserve. Sorry so long! JJTwins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, AGroupers can get sponsored. Bill Bell is a legend at 84 and he has all kinds of sponsors. He has done like 25 IM, including Kona.

I know another guy in my club who is 26 and is sponsored by Amino Vitel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Sean(Canwi) point out, absolute results are often not what a sponsor is looking for. Results are helpful, but of more importance are who this person directly influences. A good age-grouper who is also, a massage therapist, a teacher, a coach, a physical therapist or some one who works in a retail shop bike, running or sports shop, is likley to get more interest with the potential sponsor, because it is part of these people's daily routines to influence people, and as Tom D pointed out, lead directly or indirectly to sales. Let's be clear, that's what the bottom line is here. There is also a certain kind of character, that you are looking for - outgoing and gregarious to a fault, if I was to some up what is best. This way you know that the person will, almost by nature, go out of their way to say the right things to the right people.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a highly sponsored AG athlete. These include bikes, equipment, wheels, wetsuits, nutrition, and lots more. He has not solicited a single one, all have approached him with offers. He will not accept any product he doesn't use himself.

I think sponsors like him because of his consistent results, frequency of races and the "recognition factor" he's earned. He makes himself visible, hangs out at expos and pre-race functions, goes to awards even if he isn't winning. He also has a reputation as an honest racer with a supportive, positive attitude. All these things "sell" you to a potential sponsor.

Even with a high level of recognition, the total value he receives does not even come close to the amount spent on racing and travel. I don't know how one could to support themselves as a Pro with sponsorships.

Support Crew

Behind every successful man is a woman nagging him on.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whineyass---Awesome on your standings! You are asking this question and perhaps if not now, but eventually you will be looking into sponsorship for yourself...as you should. I am a sponsored athlete (for the last several years) so perhaps the following rambling helps.

As for sponsorship....yes AGers get sponsored. Every little bit helps. If tris are a true passion, I wouldn't worry about sponsorship and more about how to keep it in your life and how to effect and affect (emotion and action) others for years to come. Many people make triathlons their living...and they aren't Pros, just very passionate. When you do something you are passionate about with your whole heart things just always fall into place.

Currently I am dating a wonderful guy that happens to own a Sports Marketing firm, he has been a Sports Agent for years. Hesitant to have him help me, for I am enjoying dating him then utilizing his talents--but my God has he opened my eyes to the other life of Sports it actually sickens me (placed me into tears the other night). I have zero desire to know about his work World other than to sit back and smile knowing he is a gentleman and brillant :-) and he gets really frustrated with me when I tell him NO/not available -apparently that is a word/concept people never use around him. When I asked him to take a look at my Proposal packet for 2005 he laughed at me (talk about a first grader asking a PhD to do their homework!!!). I only need airfare and app fees (right around 20k for 05 --he casually mentioned a much higher number-but then I would have to do A LOT of racing!). His mind doesn't work in those small numbers. He kept asking me how many tickets are sold at my 3-6 day events this year, number of attendance (both spectators and athletes), t-shirts, sticker exposure, advertising, years of events and races, my standings, press conferences and newspaper coverage (latter few apply) and what is so unique about what I do, if I mind speaking at schools ect ect. Basically his mind was working how to get exposure with his companies -he never once asked me whom I was already using--for his companies he had in mind are NOT triathlon companies. There are ALWAYS angles for marketing..>ALWAYS!!!! You just have to get creative. What are you willing to do for THEM to increase SALES. If you can answer that question then apply it to your proposal packet. Get ready to work :-) Simply saying exposure doesn't cut it--what are you going to give back? There are MANY ways to get a company exposure through good will and creative marketing, the few ideas he threw out at lunch one day had me floored. Simple concepts I had never thought of teaming up with Triathlons --and have not seen done yet.

I explained to him that I missed the cut-off for 05 because I was busy racing and working towards funds was not on my mind - quite honestly I just prefer to work harder. He continued to laugh at me (boy did I feel wet behind the ears!) because the time frame for usually sending in your proposals is from Sept to Nov. Not in his World, deals are penned everyday. In the triathlon world the budgets are smaller. I mention this because some of the best financial help I have received has been mid season and from companies I would never expect --almost nothing to do with triathlon. Tri companies have really come through with product and some financial assistance (if it wasn't for Spenco, Uniformity, Harley Davidson Stone and Granite Mountain, Mayfield Chiropractic, Life University, and several individuals last season would have never happened!!!), but it is companies I have dealings with that know of my hardwork that have come through above and beyond, never asking me for anything other than to come talk to their group--if I have time, and some of those companies do not want any exposure. Those same companies came to me. I could care less how it happens, so long as it is something I believe in (ie never promote drugs/tobacco).

After discussing sponsorship with fellow athletes from other Countries, it amazes me how different the sponsorship is in other parts of the World.

The simplest thing I can suggest--if you are in the least bit serious about trying to get some good sponsorship (which deep down you probably are if you are asking the question - if not now then in the next few seasons), figure out your angle, your actual exposure, get yourself some good stationary and if you can, get a Professional photo shoot done. I have some awesome connections and make sure I get some shots done with the products/companies that help me as a simple thank-you. They have every right to use my shots in whatever they care to market. I have little desire for compensation (which goes WAY against my friend's insight), just enough to get me to my races safely and apparently cover some basic marketing material. On the financial end, if you accept compensation be ready to pay taxes on it...which could also allow you to write some things off (I already work as an Independant COntractor and overpay my taxes so it was really no big thing). If you need help down the line, feel free to contact me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next