Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gearing for Alpe d'Huez?
Quote | Reply
I've *stupidly* signed up for the long distance Alpe d'Huez next month and starting to panic. I currently run 11-28 with compact chain ring but think I should swap out the cassette (and rear mech) if I have any hopes of finishing this race. Is 11-34 what I should switch to? I'm comfortable climbing with the 28 up to around a 9% grade. Beyond that, I'm definitely mashing and reckon I'll be unlikely to start the run with anything beyond a shuffle.
I'd equally welcome any other nuggets of advice for this race!
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [suissetrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much I can offer in terms of advice, but what is your small ring at the front? 50/34 or 50/36?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jun 18, 23 23:12
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or 53x39?
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50/34 up front
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the easiest gear you can fit on.

The first two cols won't seem too though but beat me up before AdH where I averaged about 50 cadence with a 34/28 (though I suspect I'm a lot heavier)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode up AdH with a 52/36 and 11-32 and I was in my lowest gear at a cadence of 75-80 most of the time, doing around 270W at 67kg. That was just doing that one climb so perhaps a 50/34 would have been nicer to save the legs a bit more if you're doing the LD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're tired then Alpe d'Huez is an ugly beast. It might only be half as long as some of the other famous climbs but the first ten corners sap your rhythm. Most alpine climbs get steeper around the bends, so one tends to get out of the saddle and 'dance' around the corner, before sitting down and resuming the grind. Whereas here the first set of corners are almost flat, and then they ramp up quite steeply. I found this change of tempo quite challenging, spinning out around the corner and then bam into a steep bit. If your legs are shot and you don't have any more gears then the first few kms will affect the rest of the climb negatively. I think you know, from your post, that it is not worth the risk.

Other than that, have a great race!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing stupid about it, it's a great race and a great experience! Don't underestimate the run course, there's quite some climbing there as well (and some stunning views).

The corners on Alpe d'Huez are pretty flat and you will be able to get some rest here. The climb doesn't get stupidly steep, but if you can fit a 34 on the rear and make it work I'd go for that. The worst that can happen is that you don't use it. However, if you've got not problems climbing a 9% grade with a 34x28 set-up I'm sure you'll be able to finish.

Have fun and let us know how it went!
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [JP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JP wrote:
Go with the easiest gear you can fit on.

The first two cols won't seem too though but beat me up before AdH where I averaged about 50 cadence with a 34/28 (though I suspect I'm a lot heavier)!

I just raced the Mont Blanc tri this past weekend - the thought of having to do double the distance and double the elevation in AdH and then still run 21km made me question my life choices!
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [JP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get some mtb dinner plates put on - if you don't need it fine but otherwise you will be glad you did and know you can drop to an easier gear if you start to hurt. I have 36 on my roadie but if I was doing adh I would be going to the shope and saying give me something bigger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bottom is the steepest until Le Gard (it kicks up again at the end), but since you are running after the climb , I'd put on the easiest gear you can fit on your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am doing the long course. I am going to rent a bike, so I am going to get at least a 32.

Are you going to put tri bars on your bike? I am not sure if there are enough flat sections to make it worthwhile having tri bars on.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
I too am doing the long course. I am going to rent a bike, so I am going to get at least a 32.

Are you going to put tri bars on your bike? I am not sure if there are enough flat sections to make it worthwhile having tri bars on.

I did the long course in 2017 on a road bike. The only part of the course where I thought aerobars would have made a difference are the first 20km which go slightly downhill. If I'd do the race again and if wanted to really go for a good time I would use aerobars, otherwise don't bother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suissetrigirl wrote:
I've *stupidly* signed up for the long distance Alpe d'Huez next month and starting to panic. I currently run 11-28 with compact chain ring but think I should swap out the cassette (and rear mech) if I have any hopes of finishing this race. Is 11-34 what I should switch to?
If your RD will manage a 34t - guide pulley clearing 34t teeth so maybe b screw screwed in more, then go for an 11-34. Keep the chain long (large-large + 1") and accept that if you inadvertently end up on 34 ring and small(ish) sprocket, the chain will tell you that the RD cage can't wrap it, but without mechanical risk. A double shift FD and RD will soon banish the noise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty fit when I did AdH, but the AdH is last when your legs already have over 100km and 2000m of climbing and it was 30C and I cracked hard.

My compact 50/34 with11-28 was NOT enough. If I was to go again I'd do a minimum of 1:1 for my lowest gear.

I chatted with the men's winner and his lowest gear was 39x25. Not recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to change a rear derailleur to accommodate an 11/34 (Like a R7000/7100) You might as well go to a 36 tooth, it'll work just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suissetrigirl wrote:
I've *stupidly* signed up for the long distance Alpe d'Huez next month and starting to panic. I currently run 11-28 with compact chain ring but think I should swap out the cassette (and rear mech) if I have any hopes of finishing this race. Is 11-34 what I should switch to? I'm comfortable climbing with the 28 up to around a 9% grade. Beyond that, I'm definitely mashing and reckon I'll be unlikely to start the run with anything beyond a shuffle.

Definitely go with the 34. I did it with a 28 but I was just riding. The first section is the hardest, with ramps up to 14% if I recall correctly. But there are several more sections with short ramps up to 11-12% where you would be happy to have a small gear to spin your legs a bit more and save your legs for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:

I could easily put the bigger cassette on my TT bike and ride that but it doesn't have disc brakes which I'd prefer to have... I can't put tri bars on my roadie (Canyon Aeroad) unfortunately so will go without.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Or 53x39?

OP stated compact. That generally excludes any possibility of 53x39.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
If you are going to change a rear derailleur to accommodate an 11/34 (Like a R7000/7100) You might as well go to a 36 tooth, it'll work just fine.

Agree with this. I feel like this should be what she goes with. Or 34.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've ordered the long cage derailleur and the 11-34 cassette. Now it's just a matter of logging the training hours to ensure I cross the finish line!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would love if you can write how you found the event when you are done - please post here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suissetrigirl wrote:

A great tool to help with gearing questions: http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=DERS&KB=24

Just be sure that you set the wheel size to fit your setup. You can easily compare what you gain (or lose) when swapping gearing. FWIW, you should have no trouble with an 11-30 cassette, even with a derailleur that's rated for a max 28T. It won't gain you a lot, but you might only need a little.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for Alpe d'Huez? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Yep! The 11/36 SRAM cassette has much better spacing than the 11/34 Shimano cassette in the lower cog/higher gear ranges, and it's a bit lighter. I use one on my gravel bike and really like it, though it is noisier than the Shimano cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I rode around the area I throughly enjoy my 52-36/11-32 combo (using a standard Shimano 9100 rd).

https://strava.app.link/EXQtfo9zOAb
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Jun 21, 23 8:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next