Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it’s not just you
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alta and Callaghan there are not many cars on the road. You just have to be careful on the descents if there are any cars.

Sea to Sky Highway there are plenty of cars. There are only short portions where you won't feel comfortable being in the bike lane and want to move over into the highway. Otherwise, for the most part it's pretty safe.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only snow that was visible was on Callaghan Road. It doesn't seem to affect the roads at all
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode with my tri bike. I try to stay aero for as long as possible. I think on the descents during the actual race when they close the course off from traffic, it will be easier to stay in the aero position. On some of the descents, I always have one hand on the break just in case.
Last edited by: Golfangelz: May 16, 18 16:25
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5:50 with 50/34 & 11-25

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went 5:30 and 5:40 on the old course using 54/39 and 11-28 the first time and 52/36 and 11-28 the second.

I wanted more gears about a hundred times during both rides. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering the new course is now considered the toughest bike leg in all of the northern continent... gulp…!, would a road-bike vs a tri-bike, make more sense with all the rollers and 8K elevation? I have a Speed Concept 7.5 (built for fast and flat) and a Madone 9.9 (it loves hills! and probably more comfortable, but I don't think it will take aerobars)
or is the aero gain and muscle positioning ergonomics needed for the run outweigh it all?
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [drofdar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in Vancouver 3 weeks ago and popped up to ride a loop of the course, I would go Tri bike for sure, I had 52/36 and 11/28 and that was more then enough for me (3.7w/kg), not many flat sections on the course but I found that a lot of the climbs weren't that steep and
you could roll over them down in the bars. Shoulder was a bit sketchy on HWY 99 going downhill due to debris and rumble strip, I popped onto the road whenever I had a chance. Alta lake road is a bit technical and could be sketchy with lots of people on the course. I figure I will be around 5:40, ouch!
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a strava file? Elev. about 3100 for the loop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do but I messed up course a bit, had to guess where turn around was on Callaghan rd and then missed cut off to head down Alta lake road on way back and went about 5km to far north, then had to come back, went all the way to end of Alta Lake road to where it changes names and meets hwy 99, couple of nasty hills there that I believe wont be on the course so I ended up going 72km with 900 meters of climbing. Was in a real hurry as started ride around 6pm and had to make the 10pm ferry back to Vancouver Island.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overachiever :)

Actually a little less than I was expecting even with the add on

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [Golfangelz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know how far up Callahan the riders will actually go for the full?
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [Bogusdogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guessed by the turns on the map, I don't think its very far, perhaps 2 km's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, that was what it looked like to me too. A far cry from the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a wat to simulate the callaghan climb on a taxc neo?. Im new to this but doing the 70.3 this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bogusdogs wrote:

the race director previously indicated somewhere she thought the turnaround to be at approx Dority creek bridge. This is 3.74 km from the highway (according to my Garmin) and 158 meters of climbing (from the highway) (rode it on the weekend)

as a side note.... this turnaround is unfortunate as the Calighan climb and decent are the best parts of the old course that we no longer get to do.... Hopefully when details of this new course are posted we will get to go up further - I would rather go up Calighan further and skip the Stoneybridge turnaround on Alta lake road
Last edited by: triracerboy: May 23, 18 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm strapping on the 50/34 compact and a 32 pizza cassette like Froome uses. I'm 132 lbs and spin 100+ cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triracerboy wrote:
Bogusdogs wrote:

the race director previously indicated somewhere she thought the turnaround to be at approx Dority creek bridge. This is 3.74 km from the highway (according to my Garmin) and 158 meters of climbing (from the highway) (rode it on the weekend)

as a side note.... this turnaround is unfortunate as the Calighan climb and decent are the best parts of the old course that we no longer get to do.... Hopefully when details of this new course are posted we will get to go up further - I would rather go up Calighan further and skip the Stoneybridge turnaround on Alta lake road

Yes, on instagram she posted a course preview, and noted that it's on a flat section with a turnout. You can see the turnout on google maps.

I would also prefer to go all the way up Callaghan, even if twice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone mapped the 70.3 ride nicely (from the IM Canada Facebook Page)

https://www.relive.cc/view/1587935146

Very cool and it gives you an idea of the course / climbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [schag001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw that, cool (except for the added climbing 😀)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golfangelz,
Can you post strava of garmin files please.
Thanks a lot.
Last edited by: uva0224: Jun 4, 18 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [Jacksyee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jacksyee wrote:
Does anyone have a wat to simulate the callaghan climb on a taxc neo?. Im new to this but doing the 70.3 this year.

Map the ride in bikely.com and generate a .gpx file from that. You might need to smooth the file a bit. Then upload it to TTS.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. May be back to you with some questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing advice for Ironman Canada [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Message me your contact info. Someone else did a pretty good job mapping out the course on the Strava that I downloaded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I already mapped the route here, in MapMyRide. Not sure if it's exact, but it should be pretty close.

Does the link not work or something? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27255042
Quote Reply

Prev Next