Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gear question for the Gear Gods
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a CX bike for the winter months and switched the 105 9spd (which is in great shape and will be for sale in the classified) to Sram Force 10spd (my TT bike is SRAM) and am wondering if I should change the rings on the front. Currently the rings are 48/39 on a standard 172.5 cranks the back gears will be Sram 11-25/26, I may ride cross though most of my riding will be on the road.

My TT bike I ride has 50/36 compact rotor rings on 175 crank arms and Sram 11-25/26 rear.

So should I change the 48 to a 53 to mimick road riding gears, I ask because I have not installed the new chain yet and if I go 53 then I should not cut the chain for the current 48.

I am thinking I will keep the standard road rings as opposed to moving to rotor rings on the CX as I have spent the summer on the rotor rings and am thinking that this will help me in my pedaling on standard road rings. Best of both worlds?

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Gear question for the Gear Gods [i do all 3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a pretty easy answer - NO.

I don't know anyone who can use a 53 front for cyclocross - I sure can't. In fact, I pretty much just run my wimpy 38 front the entire time. Some guys use a single 42 front. I do have a 46 front I'll occasionally shift into if a course has a long downhill or pavement section. If you are just riding on the road with road type tires (albeit wider) - do what you want.

Re: Gear question for the Gear Gods [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Share the new bike pic's . It is done right ? (-:

Che-you

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Re: Gear question for the Gear Gods [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup :) Will post soon!

I will give a super thumbs up to my new "training wheels" the new Dura Ace Carbon 1380 wheels. These things are absolutely terrific (been using them on my old SLC). Other than price, a stellar set of wheels.