Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin did it again!
Quote | Reply
As having awesome customer service!!!

Here is why;

I purchased a Varia RTL510 and ABSOLUTELY love it, but I installed it with all the provided Garmin mounts and I have left it on my bike for a few months now. Those of you who do not have one, its basically a quarter turn mount that uses a single rubber band to hold it to your seat post/mast.

I was out doing a long ride yesterday and my 530 battery died (It was low to start with) and I had roughly an hour of riding left. During that Time my Varia was not being used and the rubber band broke and the radar fell off without me knowing it. I spent some 3 hrs looking for it the next day and was not successful at finding it.

I gave Garmin a buzz and start talking to one of the reps letting them know about the issue and how its a shame that a $200 piece was lost over a simple rubber band and if they had other mount options etc etc. They of course said it had been tested and never had any issues with it or heard of that but at the end of the day as customer good will they sent me a new one at 50% off.

I was not expecting this as in reality it wasn't entirely Garmins fault, but I wanted to voice my opinion to them and through and through they pulled one over on me. That in my book is beyond satisfactory in resolving a sticky situation.

I think the Varia is an absolute essential to ride with now - I would be lost without it. If you get one, don't be scared to double or even triple band it to your post.

*Disclaimer I have quite a few Garmin Products all registered to Garmin Express/Connect and that included the Varia so that may have helped me - keep that stuff registered!
Last edited by: teddygram: Aug 4, 19 15:28
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin did it again! [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took one look at those rubber bands, and said no way in hell do I trust these. My Garmin mount for my Edge uses two rubber bands, so there is redundancy, plus it's right under my face. And the stretchy cord is secured around my aero bar.

But a light hanging off the back of my seat post by a single rubber band? Nope...I zip tied it. I might vibrate out of the quarter-turn mount, but that mount will still be on my seat post.

fwiw - I absolutely love my Varia radar.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin used to package this fixed mount with the original RTL500 version. It is clean and solid. They deleted it with the RTL510 update, but I kept mine when I upgraded. If you have a round seatpost, this is worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/...644-11/dp/B015CDO9EM
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin did it again! [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly am not sure how I overlooked that as the band is pretty cheap.

Those are some great idea's guys - the direct mount will not work on my bikes unfortunately as they all have some type of aero curvature to them. I think I am going to make a mount to fit Specialized Swat Saddles (I have all Swat Saddles). I will post up if I do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear you had issues with your mount, but happy that Garmin was able to hook you up. I have had the Varia (old and new versions) since they came out an fortunately never had an issue with the rubber band mounting system on my aero seat post. In fact I am still using the original band from the old version (3-4 years old). I may now swap it out for a newer band just in case.

Also agreed that the varia is an important safety device and a must have.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin did it again! [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured I would pop back on this thread and show a mount that I printed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice mount, did you share you 3d print model in thingiverse? do you mind share? And I guess it need a remix in order to be used in different saddle.
I am always concerned on that rubber band, I feel it will break eventually, just matter of time. Besides it always move a bit and hard to keep radar facing backwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin did it again! [sleep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sleep wrote:
Nice mount, did you share you 3d print model in thingiverse? do you mind share? And I guess it need a remix in order to be used in different saddle.
I am always concerned on that rubber band, I feel it will break eventually, just matter of time. Besides it always move a bit and hard to keep radar facing backwards.

The mount should fit any Specialized saddle that is SWAT compatible, as long as you dont have a crazy saddle angle it will sit close to level. My saddle is level (center of the power saddle is level) and it can not sit any better!

You can find the print on thngiverse here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1872395

I did not make the design and the format directly off thingiverse is about perfect, I will alter a few things on it when it comes time to print a bunch of them for my bikes and friends (mainly the mounting boss re-enforcement)
Last edited by: teddygram: Aug 9, 19 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool, thanks for sharing this. I using specalized saddle as well, should be able to fit!
Quote Reply