Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter
Quote | Reply
This pedal appears to be pretty awesome...buuut, I can almost predict problems when switching between bikes constantly. I know the claim is that they should work just fine when switching between bikes but does anyone have any information to provide a convincing argument for this claim?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [dagraham9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've heard from pretty reliable sources that the pedals will be smashing...in a good way.
I don't see why you would have issues switching from bike to bike since the measuring of power will come from the pedal itself...bike won't matter?

ihatecoldwater
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It won't be a problem. Convinced?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [JeffW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read the fine print.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [JeffW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JeffW wrote:
i've heard from pretty reliable sources that the pedals will be smashing...in a good way.
I don't see why you would have issues switching from bike to bike since the measuring of power will come from the pedal itself...bike won't matter?

The reason for anticipating issues when switching pedals bettween bikes is not a calculated one. It just seems that the more you move around/swap out/adjust things like this, the more glitches they have. Not trying to be pessimistic, just doing my research.......I hope these pedals are awesome!
Last edited by: dagraham9: Jan 12, 12 8:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Polar/Look KeO Power system requires some calibration during setup with a special tool and crank arm length setting. The Garmin system is said to require no calibration or setting of crank arm length, which makes me a little skeptical of the Garmin system since they are effictively measuring the same thing- Torque and angular velocity. Of course there are more ways than one to skin a cat but, how did Garmin get around what Polar/Look could not with similar hardware? How will the Garmin system establish the zero position on the pedal circle? Accelerometers? Accuracy?

Until BOTH products are mass produced, released and have been used in the field for a while it is all just pie in the sky.

My $0.02
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [thekid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since no calibration is required, how will the pedal know that it is on a different bike......or for that matter, what bike it will first be attached to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thekid wrote:
The Polar/Look KeO Power system requires some calibration during setup with a special tool and crank arm length setting. The Garmin system is said to require no calibration or setting of crank arm length, which makes me a little skeptical of the Garmin system since they are effictively measuring the same thing- Torque and angular velocity. Of course there are more ways than one to skin a cat but, how did Garmin get around what Polar/Look could not with similar hardware? How will the Garmin system establish the zero position on the pedal circle? Accelerometers? Accuracy?

Until BOTH products are mass produced, released and have been used in the field for a while it is all just pie in the sky.

My $0.02

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...-wanted-to-know.html

In short, there is an orthogonal set of strain sensors AND an orthogonal set of accelerometers. Using those then spindle orientation is not needed to be "fixed" (as in the Look/Polar), and cadence, along with crank length, is easily determined while operating.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see any mention of how accurate the Vector is expected to be in the "Everything you wanted to know" article, (or anywhere else). Have you heard anything about this? Will it be comparable to the +-2% of PT/Quarg/SRM?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
I don't see any mention of how accurate the Vector is expected to be in the "Everything you wanted to know" article, (or anywhere else). Have you heard anything about this? Will it be comparable to the +-2% of PT/Quarg/SRM?

Everything I've heard is they expect to be within that "standard"...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thekid wrote:

My $0.02

Could not agree more. Prospective buyers should spend some time on the Ergomo board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't know what you don"t know. Calibration at the factory is different than calibration on the specific crank.

Tom A. wrote:
thekid wrote:

My $0.02

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...-wanted-to-know.html

In short, there is an orthogonal set of strain sensors AND an orthogonal set of accelerometers. Using those then spindle orientation is not needed to be "fixed" (as in the Look/Polar), and cadence, along with crank length, is easily determined while operating.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [vimbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vimbike wrote:
You don't know what you don"t know. Calibration at the factory is different than calibration on the specific crank.

You don't know what I don't know what I don't know...

I've never said that ANY power meter shouldn't be at least able to have it's calibration checked "in the field"...or, what RChung likes to call "having a '9' key".

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 12, 12 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't remember where i read it ( I'll try to find it) but i read that it is +/- 5% which i dont think is that great. Also Q factor will be increased 2mm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I've never said that ANY power meter shouldn't be at least able to have it's calibration checked "in the field"...or, what RChung likes to call "having a '9' key".
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=2519797#2519797
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's just say I am am a doubting thomas....oh, and I have drunk the Garmin FR910XT or Vector kool aid.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cat wrote:
I can't remember where i read it ( I'll try to find it) but i read that it is +/- 5% which i dont think is that great. Also Q factor will be increased 2mm...

I believe that it was the Looks that were quoted to be within 5%. I've yet to see the Garmins nail down a figure.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
cat wrote:

I believe that it was the Looks that were quoted to be within 5%. I've yet to see the Garmins nail down a figure.

Hugh

Back when they were still MetriGear, the claim was +/- 1.5%...

http://www.powerfaq.org/...min_Metrigear_Vector

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plus/minus 1.5% - give me a break....maybe in the lab...how old is this link
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This page was last modified on 26 October 2010, at 16:33."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's say the Vector turns out to be just as accurate as the Quarq and proves to have no gremlins....hypothetical.

What reason if any would I want one over the other given that swapping a crank over or pedal takes me about the same time?

I have been waiting....waiting....waiting....and I fear if I wait for the release of a Speedplay version it could be 2 or 3 more years. Looking hard at Quarq, but still come back to Vector in the back of my mind.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jan 13, 12 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
What reason if any would I want one over the other given that swapping a crank over or pedal takes me about the same time?
Because you can swap onto different cranksets. So if you have a bike with a 175mm 50/34 for mountains, a bike with a 172.5mm 53/39 for flatter terrain, a 165mm 56/42 for TTs, the pedals can go onto any one of them, or even onto a mountain bike etc. Or if you want to take them on holiday to put on a hired bike, there are many scenarios where pedals are more useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector - pedal based power meter [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use two different cranks on my TT bike, a 53/39 for most courses and a 50/36 for really hilly courses. My road bike has a 50/34 with longer crank arms. I have several wheelsets that I use as well. For my situation a pedal based power meter would be a perfect choice, provided that they are robust and accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vimbike wrote:
plus/minus 1.5% - give me a break....maybe in the lab...how old is this link

Hey...sciguy said he's never seen a figure. I was merely pointing him to one that was stated quite a while back. We'll see when we see...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
read the whole post....from the 2010 post, from Metrigear's own PR

"Until they are released there is no way to validate the claimed accuracy."
Quote Reply

Prev Next