Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Forerunner 735xt wrong time
Quote | Reply
For some reason, today after my ride, my 735xt stopped reading my HR an I just realized it has the wrong time and date (6/22/2020) - it is on automatic time.

I initially sync it with my iphone/connect. I then turned it off/on. I then flipped it to manual time/auto time. Next I flipped it to manual, changed the time, turned it off/on, flipped in back to auto.

Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas/suggestions????

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 735xt wrong time [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My garmin 630 did that one day. It did a 5 second countdown and did a reset. Erased my steps, wrong date and wrong time. I had to turn it off and back on and then go outside and act like I was going for a run. It corrected after acquiring GPS signal. Sadly, not long after that I started noticing poor battery life. I eventually upgraded to a Polar Vantage M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I seem to remember reading on the Garmin troubleshooting page that you just need it to acquire a GPS signal to reset the time (like starting a run and waiting for it to get GPS). That happened to me before with my 735 and I'm pretty sure that solved the problem!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 735xt wrong time [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense to me. I will try this in the morning when I go for a run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My unit is two years old now. Still working, but battery life is diminishing although I still managed a full 70.3 with it earlier this year.

GPS is good and bad - sometimes takes a few seconds, sometimes 10 minutes and other times I can't wait around and it only kicks in half way through my run.

Rest time is hit and miss too - I might record a 10-min walk and it tells me rest time is 8 hours. Or 48 hours after a 5km run.

I've had 2 good years with it, no complaints. Just wish it would last longer without the niggles.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 735xt wrong time [fareastman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember mine doing the same a while back and I got frustrated that I couldn't fix it, then it seemed fix itself. As mentioned above assume this was due to getting a GPS signal.

One problem I have had is that it pauses by itself. My last one I only had for a short time as sometimes it would continuously pause. Got a new one at it has been fine for the 9 months or so I've had it till now and it has started pausing itself every now and then. Not very often, but I'm sure it will only get worse. The store I bought it from, said they no longer do returns in-store, because they have had a lot of issues with Garmin products and now returns can only be done directly through Garmin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a custom watch face installed? My wife had the same problem and we traced it back to the widget she installed to show cats playing when her watch was in standby (time) mode, even if it was in a sport mode at the time.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 735xt wrong time [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input. After the two replies on GPS, I did go out last night for a minute to try to get the GPS signal. It looked like it found a good signal, but the time didn't change. This morning when I woke up the time was correct, but the date still showed 6/22/20 (Ground Hog Day).

I do have a downloaded clock face, so maybe that also affects it.

What's funny is yesterday morning my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday (in a couple of weeks - the big 60). I showed her a Fenix 6 - then about an hour later was when the time went bad. She is teasing me about making it go bad so I could get the new watch.

Heading out on my run (pacing my wife for a 5k PR) so we'll see what happens.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw in some random crazy pacings.
Blame it on the watch.
Slam dunk for the Fenix in a fortnight 😁
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 735XT would occasionally do this. It was not my daily wear, and I used to turn it off between uses. However, when I just left it on all the time, it never had an in issue with time since.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 735xt wrong time [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my 735xt is a bit finicky too. Sometimes after charging I have to turn it off and then back on again to get the time to reappear, then I have to acquire a GPS signal to get the correct time. That's annoying but not a deal breaker. I do wish however the swim GPS was more accurate. I do a lot of OWS and unless I know my exact meters of the course I'm swimming it's hard to get a feel for whether my pace is improving.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Forerunner 735xt wrong time [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or, even better, lower her PR by 18 seconds.

She was very happy, especially considering it was 80f and 100% humidity. She knows in "good" (cooler/low humidity) she would have even done better.

Once the watch got the GPS signal locked on the time/date is now correct.

Quote Reply