Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin FR/Fenix charging
Quote | Reply
Both me and my wife have been using Garmin Forerunner versions (and now also Fenix) for many years and what still amazes me that Garmin haven't found a better way to charge the watches. The connector on the undersize of the watch doesn't stay clean (despite our best efforts) and the aftermarket plugs you can buy traps moisture causing corrosion. And then we have the cables themselves... they seems to last about a year (18 months at best!) before they need to be replaced.

Will Garmin ever go to induction charging (Qi chargers)? This seems to be a logical solution...

And any suggestion on how to make the current charging mode work better and become more reliable?

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR/Fenix charging [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting,
I have bought, used and worn the 910, 920, 935, 955 and Fenix 6x model with zero issues. Cables still going strong and my wife has had a 245s and 255s and no issues for her either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Fenix 6 and later, I use these, and have never had a problem.

ETA: A secondary benefit of this charger is that I can wear my watch with it. I have done so a couple times on the treadmill when I noticed too late that my watch was at 7%.

https://www.amazon.com/...&sr=8-8&th=1

Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 15, 24 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that charger from amazon for my Fenix5. After every workout I rinse the watch under the sink faucet, towel dry, blow on the charge port to get rid of any trapped water, and dock it to charge. Doing this since 2018 with no issues.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR/Fenix charging [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues with this charger as well. I rinse off daily in the shower and charge one night a week maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR/Fenix charging [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You recharge it after EVERY workout? Is the battery always at 100%?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR/Fenix charging [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this one as well without issues. Before, it was every 12-18 months for a cable. And the constant pressure on the cable to watch interface meant that the connectors on the watch got loose. I had a Fenix 5 that got very hard to charge even on a new cable because it wasn't making good contact on the pins.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR/Fenix charging [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
You recharge it after EVERY workout? Is the battery always at 100%?

Right now I only wear it as a workout watch, so post-workout it just goes back on the charger.

Back when I wore it as an everyday watch, I would rinse/dry/blow it off post workout and put it back on; then put it on the charger at night. Not that I needed to; the Fenix will easily go a week, even with workouts. For ref I just did a 1hr swim workout and it's still at over 90%.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My whole family has Fenix’s and we all charge them once a week. We all wear them continuously and use them for daily workouts. We haven’t experienced what you are seeing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all these answers, I guess we need to clean the connectors more often. Probably only really clean it once a week (and maybe not even that often).

Still, it seems kind of dumb to have the charge port exposed on the bottom of the watch, especially since pretty much everything else is using some kind of induction charger...

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply