Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Drops ANT+ and BT at once
Quote | Reply
I’ve got an Edge 520 that’s old but still kicking. This weekend, I went riding a couple of states away and had frequent signal drops for 30 seconds at a time.

All at once my ANT+ Powermeter, my Varia and my phone would drop, so it was hitting Bluetooth & ANT simultaneously. It happened 6x an hour on multiple rides.

Are there some places where signal interference causes this? It hasn’t ever happened to me at home & I haven’t ridden yet since getting back. I’ve ridden in the other state many times without drops, but this was the first time doing so in 2020. If it’s interference of some sort, would a newer model work any better?

Or is it more likely the computer needing files deleted or something else?

I tried a search, but didn’t find anything really on point. Thanks for any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Drops ANT+ and BT at once [HLS2k6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's definitely places where BT and ANT+ have problems. I have a Stages PM (gen. 1) tied to a garmin 920XT and there are several places along my normal routes where signal drops every time while I ride through that area. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what causes it (I'm assuming underground cables or something similar as there's nothing above ground that I can see that would be a problem).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok this could be coincidence but I was getting this a lot, and updating the Varia firmware seems to have fixed it. I plugged my Varia in to the computer with a cable and connected it to Garmin Express. It told me there was an update and since then it has maybe happened once in probably the last 10 hours of riding? Before that it was every 20-30 minutes or so. I did a 4.5 hour ride and it didn't happen once, which would have never been the case before I updated. But it was also a different route. Worth a try anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Drops ANT+ and BT at once [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I saw many times that one faulty Ant+ sensor could block another on a 520.

I have a connect IQ app that talks Ant. It will stop receiving messages if the speed sensor connects then periodically disconnects
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Drops ANT+ and BT at once [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deleting device history had no effect.

Turning off all other devices (in my case, a Varia & my phone) completely eliminated the problem.

I’ll separately reintroduce each & see if one or both is the culprit, then update this thread with the hope that it might be helpful to the next person.

Fingers crossed that it’s as simple as my Varia also needing a firmware update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had ANT+ and BT devices drop out it was because of my phone talking Wifi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was happening on my wife’s 1030. I dug around and found some beta firmware on the internets and it fixed it. Not sure if Garmin has actually fixed it or not. When was the last time you did an update?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there were issues on some Edge 520 units where basically the communications stack would overload, and then you'd see the drops like that (especially with phone connectivity enabled). It was never clear to me why it occurred for some people/scenarios, not others.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Drops ANT+ and BT at once [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Yeah, there were issues on some Edge 520 units where basically the communications stack would overload, and then you'd see the drops like that (especially with phone connectivity enabled). It was never clear to me why it occurred for some people/scenarios, not others.

Thanks, Ray. That’s my situation for sure. Turning off BT on the Garmin fixed it completely. Honestly, it’s really no hassle to reconnect & upload the file after each ride.

What’s weird is that my 520 worked perfectly with these exact same connections “stacked” for a very long time, then started failing one day just as suddenly as falling off a cliff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had occasional 10-20 second dropouts like this on my 530 over the last month or so.

This morning, I lost all ANT+ and BT connections for the last 45 minutes of my ride.

It seems I get a 'radar disconnected' message from the Varia first (but maybe that's just the first to tell me).

I need the BT connection so my wife can live-track my rides (and the Varia is helpful for traffic).

.....any other suggested fixes?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Drops ANT+ and BT at once [rmba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had similar dropouts in the last week or so (Bluetooth from phone as well as ant+ HR monitor) - they seem to drop out at the same time which is weird
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Drops ANT+ and BT at once [rmba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you already try connecting the Varia and the Edge to a PC with a cable and checking for firmware updates with Garmin Express? Because that seemed to be the magic that fixed it for me.
Quote Reply