Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 745 vs. 945
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new fitness tracking device as my 735xt has bit the dust again. Won't calibrate to treadmill even after a hard reset and firmware is updated. 5 miles uploaded as 3.86 the other day on Garmin Connect. As well, sleep is off. Says I was in bed at 8:56pm when I was on the phone until 10:00pm. Finally the HR looks off. I did a two hour recovery run on Sunday and it had me over 180bpm. Effort level was literally a walk in the park even though I know there was fatigue in the legs. Regardless it actually went so high it was No Zone.

I'm looking at upgrading to either a 745 or 945. The 745 is $499 and the 945 is $599. Key differences are the 945 has maps and the 745 doesn't. The other difference is battery life the 745 is 16 hours and can go up to 24 hours using one GPS, disabling alerts, and disabling auto sync to the phone. The 945 is 36 hours.

Ill likely use mine for running, treadmill running, trail running, swimming, and open water swimming. I use a 520 for my bike and Zwift indoor.

I pretty much specialize in IM 70.3's. Once I go sub 5 hours (last race 5:01) I'll probably do a 140.6. I have an affinity for Xtri and would love to do the new one in Utah. In other words Ultra's aren't something I'll be doing.

Which watch would suit me the best?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 745 vs. 945 [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you've pretty much answered the question yourself. Sounds like the 745 fits your needs fine. Not the same as your question, but I personally went for the 935 over the 945 because I didn't need/care about some of the additional features the 945 offers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of which you choose - Garmin has previously had a 2 year refresh on their top end tri watch - so a new one is “due” march / april. With the way the world is who knows if that will happen or what a new model may bring - but it’s likely to drop the price of the 945.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last two health insurance plans have included discounts on Garmin watches. Previously, I had United Healthcare, now I’m on Cigna.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 745 vs. 945 [CMac90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CMac90 wrote:
I think you've pretty much answered the question yourself. Sounds like the 745 fits your needs fine. Not the same as your question, but I personally went for the 935 over the 945 because I didn't need/care about some of the additional features the 945 offers.

I was kind of leaning toward the 745, but wanted to see if I was missing anything based on my activity profile. It sounds like the 745 does most everything the 945 will do with the exception of maps and the battery. It's ever so slightly smaller and lighter too which isn't a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think a 140.6 is in your future, then lean toward the 945. The battery life of the 745 would be on the bubble for you in a 140.6, especially with a bunch of sensors and some age on the watch. (Battery life diminishes with age.)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 745 vs. 945 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
If you think a 140.6 is in your future, then lean toward the 945. The battery life of the 745 would be on the bubble for you in a 140.6, especially with a bunch of sensors and some age on the watch. (Battery life diminishes with age.)

Diminishing battery life actually crossed my mind. I do think it's something to consider as the device ages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a year of regular use, my 735XT lost at least an hour of total battery life. My 945 lasts forever, so I have no idea how much it might have lost after a couple years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently moved from a 735 to a 935. I had the 735 for around four years, but the battery charge had dropped by about half - so I was recharging a few times each week based on regular training. I was also getting some wonky HR readings, even with a strap. Optical was always garbage, and continues to be on the 935. I toyed with the idea of getting a 945, but the price on the 935 had dropped so much, and I honestly wouldn't use even half of the features on the 945 that I just went with the 935. Older technology, but what I needed at a reasonable price. Other than the optical HR still sucking, I'm happy with the 935 in all areas.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 745 vs. 945 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I recently moved from a 735 to a 935. I had the 735 for around four years, but the battery charge had dropped by about half - so I was recharging a few times each week based on regular training. I was also getting some wonky HR readings, even with a strap. Optical was always garbage, and continues to be on the 935. I toyed with the idea of getting a 945, but the price on the 935 had dropped so much, and I honestly wouldn't use even half of the features on the 945 that I just went with the 935. Older technology, but what I needed at a reasonable price. Other than the optical HR still sucking, I'm happy with the 935 in all areas.

It's my understanding the optical HR is new and improved in both the 745 and 945.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
935 is around 399 before any coupons...worked fine for me past few years..

you could also look at coros if you're worried about battery, but if no ultras then it shouldn't be an issue
Quote Reply