Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 305 is reduced to $159 at Best Buy
Quote | Reply
I saw it in the circular today. The add makes it sound like it comes with the HR strap as well. The price makes the thing tempting but they look ridiculous because they're so big! IMO

What do you think? Get em while they last or is the 405 too far superior?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 is reduced to $159 at Best Buy [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 305 remains the best bang for the buck, IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both the 305 and 405. The 305 although big looking, with the quick release (velcro strap) is not that bulky at all. I consider the 305 superior to the 405 in every way conceivable, except the fact the 405 looks and feels almost like a watch. The bezel to work with the 405 is a nightmare, I almost always hit the wrong button or hold it too long and get launched into a different area. The reason the 305 is so cheap is because the 310 is about to hit the market. As soon as the 310xt is released I will be getting that to replace the 305, ANT+, and waterproof, makes it almost perfect. My wife likes the 405 and she wears it when she runs. All a matter of price I think. If you might want to swim or use ANT+ power equipment then wait for the 310, if that doesn't matter the 305 is a great piece of gear.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 is reduced to $159 at Best Buy [stitchboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Explain ANT+

I have no idea what that is? So I guess I don't need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably stands for Altitude and Temperature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Explain ANT+
works with things like power tap hubs...

Run like you stole something
Formerly Fueled by ZYM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ANT+ is a communications protocol. Like bluetooth headsets, it allows various low power devices to communicate with each other... the most popular current use being a modern PowerTap sending its power data to an ANT+ compatible cycling computer so that when you download the data you get all point overlayed on each other nicely and correctly.

Theoretically other devices can/do support ANT+. Footpods, bicycle cadence sensors, windspeed meters, eventually I hope heart rate monitors and other sensors (such as pulseox, etc.) might eventually support it. It eventually turns the computer into a display and data logging device... which you could then purchase from your preferred vendor (Apple for example). Then you would just purchase the sensors you need for the data you want to log... GPS from Garmin, heart rate from Polar, power from Saris, etc.

That being said... if you don't have/want a power meter... and you don't need it to stay powered for Ironman distance... and you don't want to take your watch swimming... then yeah, but the 305 on closeout. It's a great watch!
Last edited by: dpm: Apr 20, 09 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a 305 for a year till it died. Some last a while longer but the average seems about a year. I have 5 running friends who have 305's and one with a 405 and everyone has replaced their 305's at least once.
Battery life for the 305 is about 10-12 hours. I had my 305 last for a 50 mile ultra and 10hrs of running. Battery life for the 405 is about 5-6 hours according to my friend.
I switched back to my foot pod and polar 625. The pod just takes 1 AAA battery and lasts a month of running 6x/week and the watch is normal sized. I've measured several trail and road runs with both watches and the accuracy seems about the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 is reduced to $159 at Best Buy [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if they don't last too much longer than a year, does Garmin replace them? What's the warranty?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 is reduced to $159 at Best Buy [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a huge 305 supporter. Is it a little big, sure, but it's darn easy to read when you're running, biking, whatever. I'd say at $159 it's basically a no brainer. And I don't think that I know of a 305 that doesn't come with the heart rate monitor.

All that being said, I'm salivating over the 310. Although they should call it the 399, because apparently that's what it will cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the 305 for 2 yrs without a single problem. I have done three 70.3's with it and it worked well. My only concern is the fact that you can't swim with it and you have to put it on in T-1. Battery life has never been a problem and I spend about 6 hours on course not counting the swim. I am purchasing a 310XT when they come out because of swimming and increased battery life. I don't think the 305 would last 16 hours in a full distance event (and my big butt ain't getting any faster). You can't beat the price of $160 so decide if the extra $200 is worth swimming to you. It might look bulky to you but you can't beat the screen. You can divide the screen into 2, 3, or 4 quadrants. Even with 4 quadrants you can read while running without any problems.

Be careful with the pause button if you get it. I was wearing it with the screen "inside the wrist" while on the bike in the aero position and it hit against my aero bottle and "paused" the unit. I didn't realize it for about 20 minutes. Not a big deal but I was doing the Florida Ironman 70.3 (does that count as a PR?)

Randy
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 305 is reduced to $159 at Best Buy [rvickery2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't tried it, but I have people swear to me that the 305 can safely be worn in the water. They say they do it all the time. I know some people put them under their swim cap or something. But these guys are wearing them on their wrists during the swim. No problem.
Quote Reply