Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Galveston 70.3 vs Hains city...
Quote | Reply
I will be racing IRONMAN Mont tremblant this august as my first full IM. Was planning on doing the 70.3 also (did it last year) But i missed the cut off time to sign up :( .
In any case, I may just do Eagelman, Muskoka or Steelhead... One of those 3 just as a challenging course pre ironman...
I am looking to do an early season destination 70.3 and it's boiling between galveston and haines city.
I am AG 21 yrs old and don't really care so much about qualifying just wanna have a good time and get a PR...
Pros and cons of both and reccomendations... SHOOT!

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 vs Hains city... [Mkraz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a PR go to Galveston. Flat and fast. My understanding is that Haines City is hilly and hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, if your main goal is to PR, Galveston, no question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are right Hanes city is hard. It will depend on 2 factors how hard ....wind and heat. Swim is 50% chance of wetsuit. M shape swim is a washing machine, bike course 1/2 hills run is 3 loops with hills and no shade.......love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant comment on Florida, but I did Galveston this past April-and it was awesome.
Great swim (start off a dock) short few dozen yards jog to transition #1, super super fast bike. Only changed gears twice besides initial start up. Once to go over the bridge, once to come back. The run was three ( i think) loops around a museum/waterpark area that was almost all completely covered by spectators. So you dont get bored on the run at all. Very flat, a couple of rises through the park. Easy to get to, close to the main drag. I'd do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 vs Hains city... [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Formulagod wrote:
I did Galveston this past April-and it was awesome.

Are you nuts???? j/k

I did it in 2017 and 2018. It was just miserable this year. I got hypothermia, so had to go to the medic tent half way on the bike.
Very unusual cold front came through Texas, and it was damn cold and rained a little too. I've been living in TX for more than 2 decades and it was never cold like that in April. Anyway, I signed up for Galveston next year and like others said, it's the fast course. You will have a blast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mkraz wrote:
I will be racing IRONMAN Mont tremblant this august as my first full IM. Was planning on doing the 70.3 also (did it last year) But i missed the cut off time to sign up :( .
In any case, I may just do Eagelman, Muskoka or Steelhead... One of those 3 just as a challenging course pre ironman...
I am looking to do an early season destination 70.3 and it's boiling between galveston and haines city.
I am AG 21 yrs old and don't really care so much about qualifying just wanna have a good time and get a PR...
Pros and cons of both and reccomendations... SHOOT!

Thanks in advance

I've done Galveston probably 10 times, even back when it was Lonestar. Early season race where you can somewhat fake your fitness. Bike tends to have strong side wind off the Gulf which helps prevent the typical drafting on a flat course. Swim is protected unless you get an unusual wind storm out of the north. Bike is flat but I never found it to be "fast". I need a few small hills to break up my crotch crickets. Run is loopy but lots of people cheering the whole way. I sort of like the run. As for Galveston, sort of a pit, hotels are a pit, and probably not much fun for a 21 YO, but what do I know. Good Mexican food and our tradition is to drink too much and sit on the wood horses at the restaurant entrance. Don't remember the name but the margaritas are good.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 vs Hains city... [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Formulagod wrote:

Are you nuts???? j/k

I'm from CT. We train in 45* weather. Texas was no problem at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 vs Hains city... [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Formulagod wrote:
s13tx wrote:
Formulagod wrote:

Are you nuts???? j/k

I'm from CT. We train in 45* weather. Texas was no problem at all.

No wonder!! It would have been terrible for you last year. It got hot and humid during the run, but I really liked it. I did much better last year than this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about galv vs Puerto Rico
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CLASH Miami in March would also be a good option early 2022. Lot of flight options to South Florida and plenty to do in Miami or the Florida Keys.

https://www.clash-usa.com/clash-miami

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply