Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GURU Crono- comments from Interbike
Quote | Reply
I'm reposting a previous question for Interbike attendees. Any thoughts on the Crono as compared to the P3 Carbon, Lucero, etc... Is it really worth the extra coin?
Quote Reply
Re: GURU Crono- comments from Interbike [TriMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like that info too (and this should help keep this on top)

Tom - I know you are a Guru fan (since you rode one in an IM race I think) so I would assume that you checked out the new Crono in detail.

Re: GURU Crono- comments from Interbike [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof:

I'm pushing it back up again! I am shocked after all the "hype" following GURU's '05 catalog being shown on this forum that there have been minimal comments about the Crono. I must say that from the pictures of the P3 Carbon posted on this forum that it looks less impressive than the Crono. Once again, did anyone see both of these bikes at Interbike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in for any and all info on the Crono as well. I am in the process of ordering one as we speak based strictly on their ability to customize...and of course the coolness factor. GURU actually builds bikes.

As an interesting aside - I sent the pictures of the P3 Carbon and the Crono to about a dozen of my buddies. To a man (and a few women), they felt the Crono was a more interesting "design". I am starting to think that people are a little brainwashed by Cervelo marketing.

The Cervelo Mafia has been out in full force on this board. Let's see - Cervelo introduces a bike. Gives no weight. No one knows how it rides. No one has reviewed it. No idea where it is going to be made (China perhaps?). Or how it is going to be made. And everybody wants one. That my friends is marketing.

As a P3 owner - frankly I do not see what all of the fuss is about. It is a good stiff Aluminum bike. Most days I ride my Kestrel Airfoil Pro - bc it just feels better on the road. I am 35 and all of that "stiffness" is going to lead me to back surgery. Just bc professional cyclists can ride them fast - does not mean I should.
Quote Reply
Re: GURU Crono- comments from Interbike [mcevt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcevt:

Excellent comments. I was impressed by the fact that the GURU folks were at both IM Canada, and Coeur d'alene, while no other bike manufacturer was there. Unfortunately they did not have the Crono to show. I live in the Pacific Northwest and apparently the closest GURU dealer is in San Diego, so this is a decision I will be making by pictures. Do you know what the additional charge is for a "custom" frame versus a production model?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I can gather, GURU usually charges a minimum fee $3-400 to customize. My impression is that they will do it for next to nothing on the Crono.

To me the negative of the Crono is the cost. It is Very light. Looks great. I assume it is aero. And is manufactured in North America by a dedicated crew. But it is going to cost and most people are not going to pay nearly $8K to have a completed bike. To me it is worth it. For the # of hours I am going to ride it, I find it a sound investment. I generally buy a new bike every year and this is my target of choice. I looked at the Kuota, Isaac, QR Lucero, and from the pictures in this forum - the P3 Carbon.

Not to be a broken record - but Cervelo is just way overhyped. Good mass market bikes. As I said - I own a P3. But it is not my favorite.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcevt...can I ask how you like the kestrel airfoil pro? Overall impressions etc. What size do you ride? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: GURU Crono- comments from Interbike [Captain Pubmed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did not even know about a lawsuit. For what?

I own biotech companies and have no affiliiation with any company in the industry with the exception of they all seem to get my money.

As a P3 owner - I stand by my comments. Nice bike. Very, very stiff. Far from comfortable. As I said, except on fresh pavement with no bumps of any kind (or uphills) - I find my Kestrel Airfoil Pro a superior bike to the P3 in just about every way. (And it looks cooler to boot) I think the masses have been brainwashed by creative marketing by Cervelo. I do not think that is a negative against Cervelo - just a reality. As a business owner, I attempt every day to shape the desires of my consumers.

Frankly, I think Cervelo could repaint my Huffy from 6th grade and people on this forum would defend it.

Now I will be shouted down by the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, this post is finally gaining momentum! Keep it going!
Quote Reply
Re: GURU Crono- comments from Interbike [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the Airfoil Pro. I am 35 with 2 kids. Most of the time I get to train is commuting 20+ miles each way to work. The Airfoil Pro (+Reynolds Carbon Clinchers) eats up those miles. Very, very, comfortable.

Here is the thing that does it for me. I spent a couple of of hours measuring my P3 and Airfoil Pro (down to the mm) and set them up in the exact position. For some reason I feel more stretched out and uncomfortable on the Cervelo. But the measurements are the same. Now if I was in the Tour de France - maybe the stiffness advantage of the Cervelo would be justified - but I am not. I am a 35 year old father of 2 who is one serious injury away from gaining a belly.

I ride a 56cm and I am 6-1. I would pick the Airfoil Pro over the P3 - 7 days a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENOUGH BABBLING! I NEED F&$K"N PICTURES!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am with mcevt on this one. I am 57 years old. I race a P3 BUT most of my miles are on a 99 Litespeed Blade. They are set up exactly the same but the Blade is more comfortable.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: GURU Crono- comments from Interbike [Captain Pubmed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious what was the lawsuit about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - way to keep this going! TOM - still haven't heard from you!

I currently (for the last 2 1/2 years and 15 triathlons) race a Guru Cron'Alu - all aluminum and it is "almost" as comfortably as my daily rider/trainer (Litespeed Vortex) with Zipp 404s (tubulars). I don't know why, can't explain it either, but I much prefer my "bottom line" Guru to a P2K and P3 that I was privy to ride on a few occasions.

The Mafia must be a powerful lot.....

Re: GURU Crono- comments from Interbike [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof:

I think that Tom D. was captured and tortured by the Cervelo Mafia who have threatened to kill his cat if he says anything good about a competitor. Tom you can always get a new cat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcvet, when you get a customized bike who takes the measurements? did your LBS take the measurements and send them to Guru or did you send them in and order directly from Guru. I noticed on their new webpage that they will have 'online ordering/shopping' soon - I'm assuming you can give them your measurements and they will build it to your spec and ship it to you. Would be interested to hear how you went about getting yours. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: GURU Crono- comments from Interbike [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked the local bike shop that i wanted to work with. Contacted GURU and told them that I wanted to buy the bike from this particular shop and put them in contact with each other. They worked out a deal.

Thus - my local bike shop took all of the measurements. I could buy it online - but I wanted to make sure it was right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the idea of this. Thanks for the info & have fun with your new ride.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think the GURU Chrono was the best looking tri-bike at Interbike. The design details and finish were simply outstanding and totally unique from any other carbon bike on display. Cost is another matter - $6000 for a complete bike w/dura ace.

Regarding other P3 carbon competitors, the Lucero looked somewhat primitive in comparison but still nice. The other bike that got my attention was the Giant TCR AERO (comes complete with full carbon aero bar, carbon brakes, carbon aero seatpost, FSA cranks, Dura Ace, Mavic Cosmos wheels for $5,000 msrp)) but I would pass on the T- Mobile graphics/colors. It will also be available as a frame set, hopefully in other colors or just carbon weave.

"It is never too late to fix your childhood!"

Tom Robbins

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: GURU Crono- comments from Interbike [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not yet seen it in person, but from the pictures I find the Crono a bit on the ugly side. Unique and stunning, but still ugly.
Quote Reply