Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GRIFFEN Bikes
Quote | Reply
  Periodically there have been posts about Griffen bikes, most of which have been positive. Since I will be in SD next week I am hoping to find a bike shop that carries these bikes for a test ride. I was curious as to how the frame material "boron carbide" compares to titanium, or carbon fiber with regards to ride quality. I plan to race the bike at IM distances. Any input would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: GRIFFEN Bikes [TriMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I infiltrated their booth with a phony ID card at Interbike, under cover, and armed with a tape measure.

I was on the prowl for, among other things, a real "women's" or short top tube triathlon bike. I found that Griffen was really the only game in town for this. They had the shortest top tubes of anyone on their female specific tri bikes. Realistically, they were the only truly female specific, or more correctly, short torso specific tri bikes at the show.

I found that very interesting. Also, the finish and workmanship on the bikes is good. The materials appear good, but I can't speak from experience.

In general, promising. For the purpose of clarity I should point out that the female (short top tube) bikes were in addition to more standard geometry bikes also in their line.

As for the ride quality of the material itself: Well, the fit will make a much, much much bigger difference than that.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: GRIFFEN Bikes [TriMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
metal matrix composite, alloy with Boron carbide, or the alluminium alloy as they describe, is/was used in the aircraft/aerospace industry to a very small extend. Its another alloy developed to have certain properties, very much like Scandium or any other alluminium alloy really. There claim about replacing alluminium is pretty crazy as its an alloy in itself and there are so many application where the properties of the mmc alloy are not required, like beer cans or alloy boats. Again, as everyone says it is down to design and manufacturing porceedures for ride and quality.

I rode on for a few weeks and liked it, was custom painted which was brilliant and everything fitted and worked well. Looks cool and was not any harsher or softer than my 7005 alloy bike at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: GRIFFEN Bikes [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, were you wearing your GSG9's when you infiltrated? Was your tape the new laser stealth model and most importantly, did you plan your exfiltration route before going in (including RV points)?

"Bikesports will disavow all knowledge of your mission if you are captured"

J
Quote Reply