Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
A few disjointed thoughts after wading through all of this:

1. I am the 30th slowtwitch user to weigh in on this thread, and I *believe* I am the third female slowtwitch user to do so (I think I sussed out that Trizebbie and Island are female, apologies if I misgendered anybody in scanning the posts). So a thread purportedly about something that would impact women's sports is wholly dominated by...not women. Of course all humans can have input on this discussion and can have thoughts, but it is definitely illustrative that 90% of the discussion participants aren't female.

2. As I swam in college, *many* men approached me earlier this year to ask me what I thought about Lia Thomas. Most of these men were, shall I say, less accepting of the LGBTQIA+ community than I or most of my friends are. In several cases, there was a smug undertone of "I bet I caught you on something where you don't support trans women." My response was always "She followed the rules of the appropriate governing bodies and is fully free to compete and I support her right to do so. Those rules were more or less based on the Stockholm consensus from 2003 which was developed by some of the brightest minds in sports physiology and other relevant fields. It is possible that their findings should be reexamined with new data and research, but that reexamination should be done by other world renowned experts, and in the meantime, the current rules stand." Every single man who came to me with this question was surprised that this was my response and most of them tried to convince me that my viewpoint was wrong. Again, interesting and illustrative.

3. Personally, as a relatively competitive age group triathlete (regularly qualifying for world championship races and making the podium at local/regional races), I welcome all women, including trans women competing under the rules that govern their participation. Out of the literal thousands of women who have beaten me in sport over the years, probabilistically, a few of them were likely trans. Cool. Welcome to the very large club of women who are better than me in sport.

4. It is also extremely interesting to me that nobody ever mentions trans men in sport. As Ryan noted earlier, "I don't think anybody batted an eye when Chris Mosier transitioned." I happen to be involved with the sport of artistic (synchronized) swimming as a coach/official, and this is a sport where the women's field is MUCH more competitive, and a sport where those born as women have distinct physiological advantages in several aspects of competition, most notably, greater flexibility. I have literally not once heard anybody suggest that trans men will take over the events with male competitors.

It's ALMOST like this isn't about sport for most people, but is instead about policing women's bodies.

4 men are welcoming to women good enough to compete. Although.. I question the allowed T levels for f2m as age increases. Males drop over time. Using average male level 400 as standard and at 40 they will be 200 or lower... Now this person at 400 is doping competing at 40+
Last edited by: synthetic: Jul 7, 22 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:

1. I am the 30th slowtwitch user to weigh in on this thread, and I *believe* I am the third female slowtwitch user to do so (I think I sussed out that Trizebbie and Island are female, apologies if I misgendered anybody in scanning the posts). So a thread purportedly about something that would impact women's sports is wholly dominated by...not women. Of course all humans can have input on this discussion and can have thoughts, but it is definitely illustrative that 90% of the discussion participants aren't female.

2. As I swam in college, *many* men approached me earlier this year to ask me what I thought about Lia Thomas. Most of these men were, shall I say, less accepting of the LGBTQIA+ community than I or most of my friends are. In several cases, there was a smug undertone of "I bet I caught you on something where you don't support trans women." My response was always "She followed the rules of the appropriate governing bodies and is fully free to compete and I support her right to do so. Those rules were more or less based on the Stockholm consensus from 2003 which was developed by some of the brightest minds in sports physiology and other relevant fields. It is possible that their findings should be reexamined with new data and research, but that reexamination should be done by other world renowned experts, and in the meantime, the current rules stand." Every single man who came to me with this question was surprised that this was my response and most of them tried to convince me that my viewpoint was wrong. Again, interesting and illustrative.

3. Personally, as a relatively competitive age group triathlete (regularly qualifying for world championship races and making the podium at local/regional races), I welcome all women, including trans women competing under the rules that govern their participation. Out of the literal thousands of women who have beaten me in sport over the years, probabilistically, a few of them were likely trans. Cool. Welcome to the very large club of women who are better than me in sport.

4. It is also extremely interesting to me that nobody ever mentions trans men in sport. As Ryan noted earlier, "I don't think anybody batted an eye when Chris Mosier transitioned." I happen to be involved with the sport of artistic (synchronized) swimming as a coach/official, and this is a sport where the women's field is MUCH more competitive, and a sport where those born as women have distinct physiological advantages in several aspects of competition, most notably, greater flexibility. I have literally not once heard anybody suggest that trans men will take over the events with male competitors.

It's ALMOST like this isn't about sport for most people, but is instead about policing women's bodies.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t have an answer to this very challenging issue, but I did want to chime in and say that I’m impressed with the quality of the discussion. In my experience, debate over this topic tends to go south quickly. Kudos to everyone for offering informed, thoughtful opinions.

I’ll also add that, while I do not want to diminish the importance of the issue, I sometimes worry that it takes up too much oxygen, particularly among my conservative friends who seem more prone to bring it up. It feels like as a society we spend way more time debating how to include a tiny number of trans athletes than we do discussing other issues in women’s sports such as the all-too-common abuse of female athletes by coaches. In both absolute and relative terms the number of female athletes subject to emotional, physical, and sexual abuse is far higher than those impacted by decisions about how to include trans athletes. But abuse generates fewer clicks and so here we are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
mathematics wrote:
vkanders wrote:
Slowman wrote:

probably somebody oughta take a survey of various affected women: cis and transgendered women who compete at a modest level; and separately those competing at a high level. i'd be interested in seeing what those 4 cohorts say on this.

The fact that we don't hear many cis women talking about this probably tells us that a large portion of affected cis women are ambivalent to this. I know this to be the case for almost all of my female athlete friends - there is, of course, selection bias there, since I live in a large, liberal city on the east coast.

A more cynical view is that anything that can be viewed as anti-LGTBQ is no longer morally acceptable to say. I know that in real-life I self-censor my thoughts on the issue. Look at the abuse that was thrown at Ross Tucker for arguing his research-backed and level-headed solutions (in a nutshell, allowing male-to-female athletes to compete in rugby puts biologically female rugby players at significantly increased risk of injury).

It's not a giant leap to think women in sport may feel unable to speak about the subject, except in terms known to be good for sponsorship/image.

Or...and this may be too radical for some...you could just believe what women say.

This assumes we aren't doing that already. My views and perspectives on this topic are mostly driven by what I hear from my wife, daughter, extended family and female friends & associates who participate in sports at various levels (from pro cyclist and triathletes down to recreational runners). Their views are not homogeneous and cover the spectrum. I (a male) am not advocating for a level playing field because it will benefit me. I am advocating for a level playing field because a majority of the women I know who compete in sports also want that. In small circles, many of the women I know will express their concerns and frustrations on this topic (if it comes up), but publicly many of them choose not to comment or speak up for fear of backlash. Don't let your assumptions lead you to being close-minded

In search of the righteous life... we all fall down
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [Trizebbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trizebbie wrote:

From my perspective (female, mid-level athlete), the reason we don’t hear many women’s voices on this issue is because the backlash is frequently so ferocious when we speak against transwomen competing in women’s sports. Any statement less than ardent support in favor pretty much results in being called transphobic, hateful, and a TERF. Among my female athlete friends (also in a fairly liberal East Coast city), virtually everyone I know (predominantly but not exclusively liberal) doesn’t think transwomen should compete in women’s sports for all the obvious reasons to do with physiology that have been stated previously in this thread. Some variance on what level this should be at at, e.g. elite v amateur. Definitely not ambivalent though. In my circle, we’re all for everyone living their lives however they want, using whatever bathroom, pronouns, etc. but feel very hesitant to express our views on the issue of transwomen in sports publicly. TBH if I were posting here under my own name I probably wouldn’t have said anything for fear. I do appreciate that this thread has got five pages deep with the exchange of strongly held views but hasn’t descended (yet) into name calling and attacking.

Absolutely!!

There is definitely a very silent majority, because cancel culture these days destroys lives.
Last edited by: Island: Jul 7, 22 12:32
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:

Unfortunately I couldn't track find a survey with a by-gender input breakdown, but the most recent major survey only shows about 30% in favor of trans athletes in sports. This does not align at all with the elevated viewpoints I hear from women, who overwhelmingly say that they support trans athletes no matter what. Even if 100% of men oppose that still leaves 40% of women opposing as well. Something is not lining up between anonymous surveys and public statements with your name behind them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...letes-female-sports/

To be more complete in the math, you have to account for the 15% who had no opinion, leaving about 55% opposed at some level. That means at least 10% of women would need to be opposed if 100% of men were (which is obviously not correct).

Anyway.

Thanks for the link to that survey, it appears to be a pretty generic question as it was worded, with only three response options (Should be allowed, should not be allowed, no opinion). In addition to a gendered breakdown, I'd be interested in a breakdown of the responses from the 25% of people who thought greater social acceptance of transgender people is "bad for society" vs. the remaining 75%. That would reveal how many people are truly in the "I support trans people but do not support trans women competing in sport" category that many people seem to be putting themselves in here.
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [Trizebbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trizebbie wrote:
vkanders wrote:
Slowman wrote:

probably somebody oughta take a survey of various affected women: cis and transgendered women who compete at a modest level; and separately those competing at a high level. i'd be interested in seeing what those 4 cohorts say on this.

The fact that we don't hear many cis women talking about this probably tells us that a large portion of affected cis women are ambivalent to this. I know this to be the case for almost all of my female athlete friends - there is, of course, selection bias there, since I live in a large, liberal city on the east coast.

From my perspective (female, mid-level athlete), the reason we don’t hear many women’s voices on this issue is because the backlash is frequently so ferocious when we speak against transwomen competing in women’s sports. Any statement less than ardent support in favor pretty much results in being called transphobic, hateful, and a TERF. Among my female athlete friends (also in a fairly liberal East Coast city), virtually everyone I know (predominantly but not exclusively liberal) doesn’t think transwomen should compete in women’s sports for all the obvious reasons to do with physiology that have been stated previously in this thread. Some variance on what level this should be at at, e.g. elite v amateur. Definitely not ambivalent though. In my circle, we’re all for everyone living their lives however they want, using whatever bathroom, pronouns, etc. but feel very hesitant to express our views on the issue of transwomen in sports publicly. TBH if I were posting here under my own name I probably wouldn’t have said anything for fear. I do appreciate that this thread has got five pages deep with the exchange of strongly held views but hasn’t descended (yet) into name calling and attacking.

Thanks for weighing in - certainly you've talked to a different group of people than I have. Is the opposition to transwomen competing in women's sport a matter of "it seems the current guidelines for their inclusion may not be sufficient" or "nope never ever ever ever"? Or is it a mix/you don't know? I can relate to the first mindset, the second one, I have difficulty with because I'm not a physiology expert and if those who are experts can find a framework in which it is fair, what's the problem?
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
vkanders wrote:

4 men are welcoming to women good enough to compete. Although.. I question the allowed T levels for f2m as age increases. Males drop over time. Using average male level 400 as standard and at 40 they will be 200 or lower... Now this person at 400 is doping competing at 40+

Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen anybody ask about Chris Mosier's T levels. Ever.
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [ckoch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ckoch wrote:
vkanders wrote:
mathematics wrote:
vkanders wrote:
Slowman wrote:

A more cynical view is that anything that can be viewed as anti-LGTBQ is no longer morally acceptable to say. I know that in real-life I self-censor my thoughts on the issue. Look at the abuse that was thrown at Ross Tucker for arguing his research-backed and level-headed solutions (in a nutshell, allowing male-to-female athletes to compete in rugby puts biologically female rugby players at significantly increased risk of injury).

It's not a giant leap to think women in sport may feel unable to speak about the subject, except in terms known to be good for sponsorship/image.

Or...and this may be too radical for some...you could just believe what women say.

This assumes we aren't doing that already. My views and perspectives on this topic are mostly driven by what I hear from my wife, daughter, extended family and female friends & associates who participate in sports at various levels (from pro cyclist and triathletes down to recreational runners). Their views are not homogeneous and cover the spectrum. I (a male) am not advocating for a level playing field because it will benefit me. I am advocating for a level playing field because a majority of the women I know who compete in sports also want that. In small circles, many of the women I know will express their concerns and frustrations on this topic (if it comes up), but publicly many of them choose not to comment or speak up for fear of backlash. Don't let your assumptions lead you to being close-minded

I was referring directly to mathematics's suggestion as to why women say what they say. I am making no assumptions about what you or any other poster is doing in this regard.
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
Trizebbie wrote:

Absolutely!!

There is definitely a very silent majority, because cancel culture these days destroys lives.

I'm not sure it's that silent, nor a majority, among female athletes. In any case, re: cancel culture, it is important to express what one's view is - if it is that transwomen can compete in sport but they should have their own division, super. If that opinion is instead expressed as "she's a man" then nope, not ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
In any case, re: cancel culture, it is important to express what one's view is - if it is that transwomen can compete in sport but they should have their own division, super. If that opinion is instead expressed as "she's a man" then nope, not ok.

I totally agree that is how it should be. But cancel culture has got so extreme now, that people are getting abuse and cancelled for trying to express different opinions on situations. People decide it it safer for them to stay silent.
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [ckoch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ckoch wrote:
vkanders wrote:
mathematics wrote:
vkanders wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Exactly this. I don't know of a single person, male or female, who thinks that males should compete in female competitions. But as a general rule they won't speak up other than with someone they know shares the same view. There is simply too much risk these days of being labelled a bigot or a transphobe etc.

It is disappointing because genuine debate is good for society but we don't see it anymore for so many woke issues. There is a deliberate tactic to stifle debate by labelling others. As soon as you put that label on someone as a bigot or a phobe, you can discount their opinion without any intellectual rigour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
Island wrote:
Trizebbie wrote:

Absolutely!!

I'm not sure it's that silent, nor a majority, among female athletes. In any case, re: cancel culture, it is important to express what one's view is - if it is that transwomen can compete in sport but they should have their own division, super. If that opinion is instead expressed as "she's a man" then nope, not ok.

Why do you get to decide what is open for discussion? Gender as a social construct is a relatively new concept which not everyone agrees with. The concept is only supported by what could be described as pseudoscience.
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
Exactly this. I don't know of a single person, male or female, who thinks that males should compete in female competitions. But as a general rule they won't speak up other than with someone they know shares the same view. There is simply too much risk these days of being labelled a bigot or a transphobe etc.

This thread/discussion isn't about males competing in female competitions. It's about trans women in sport.
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
vkanders wrote:
Island wrote:
Trizebbie wrote:

Absolutely!!

Why do you get to decide what is open for discussion? Gender as a social construct is a relatively new concept which not everyone agrees with. The concept is only supported by what could be described as pseudoscience.

Oh you can discuss it, and you can also expect to be firmly corrected because misgendering people is rude.

Do you know anybody who goes by a name other than their legal first name? Do you use that name because they ask you to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
TIT wrote:

This thread/discussion isn't about males competing in female competitions. It's about trans women in sport.

No it actually isn't because the GB tri decision moves away from gender as a social construct as the basis for categories and towards the sensible approach of sex based categories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
TIT wrote:
vkanders wrote:
Island wrote:
Trizebbie wrote:

Absolutely!!

Oh you can discuss it, and you can also expect to be firmly corrected because misgendering people is rude.

Do you know anybody who goes by a name other than their legal first name? Do you use that name because they ask you to?

Two very different issues. I would use someone's preferred name to talk to them but I'm not going to pretend that adopting sex based stereotypes can change who you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I absolutely have no problem with people living what ever gender and pronouns they wish (see I feel I have to clarify this in a cancel culture world) - but it is interesting to think about, at what point is someone’s opinion valid in a debate or not? What is the cut off line and who decides it?
Last edited by: Island: Jul 7, 22 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A reminder that we do not do the "males competing in female competitions" thing here.

Refer to trans women as such.

Table stakes. Thank you.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
A reminder that we do not do the "males competing in female competitions" thing here.

Refer to trans women as such.

Table stakes. Thank you.

Just to clarify, male/female are terms that refer to sex which is very different to man/woman which are terms that refer to gender. Are you suggesting that we cannot state something as scientifically settled as the fact that you are born of a particular sex which cannot be changed? Regardless of your views on gender as being linked to sex or gender as a social construct, I hope no one here would disagree that sex is the constant.
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
I absolutely have no problem with people living what ever gender and pronouns they wish (see I feel I have to clarify this in a cancel culture world) - but it is interesting to think about, at what point is someone’s opinion valid in a debate or not? What is the cut off line and who decides it?

Apropos of nothing, but you know what I think is the most important distinction you make here?

You put the effort in. The clarification effort? That's the growth mindset. It shows you're trying.

Even though I've disagreed with your conclusions in the thread to date, it shows to me you do so with good intentions.

As to when an opinion is valid in a debate or not? Well, there's easy ones around these parts -- don't offend Slowman's or my good sensibilities too often. (The Lavender Room is a bit of a different story). But in general, intent usually matters. Take my rather clumsy Trump example previously -- there are those that supported him solely on the basis of economic policy, or because he had an R next to his name on the ticket. Fine. Whatever. There are others who supported him for his dog whistling to white nationalism. That's not OK. And it's easy to figure out which is which.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we've been pretty clear on this, from the Lia threads to now: for the purposes of any discussion on transgender women in sport (because, let's face it, nobody gives two shits about transgender men in sport), when referring to the athletes in question you say "trans woman/women."

Because it quite naturally infers born sex but is also not offensive to trans women.

Those be the rules of the sandbox.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
👍 🏳️‍⚧️

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: GB Tri creates mandatory open category for transgender [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I think we've been pretty clear on this, from the Lia threads to now: for the purposes of any discussion on transgender women in sport (because, let's face it, nobody gives two shits about transgender men in sport), when referring to the athletes in question you say "trans woman/women."

Because it quite naturally infers born sex but is also not offensive to trans women.

Herein lies the problem with these topics. The "table stakes" as you always go on about are based on your "sensibilities" which are completely unscientific. It is about your feelings which are biased due to your leftist ideology.

Male/female are not controversial terms. If you can't be an adult and discuss this topic using the only terms which cannot change due to someone's self identity, perhaps it is you who needs to exclude yourself. This isn't the first thread you as a moderator have derailed the conversation more than the people you are moderating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Herein lies the problem with these topics. The "table stakes" as you always go on about are based on your "sensibilities" which are completely unscientific. It is about your feelings which are biased due to your leftist ideology.

Male/female are not controversial terms. If you can't be an adult and discuss this topic using the only terms which cannot change due to someone's self identity, perhaps it is you who needs to exclude yourself. This isn't the first thread you as a moderator have derailed the conversation more than the people you are moderating.

Look, this is mine and Dan's sandbox. If you want to play in it, you can follow those rules or you can find a new sandbox.

Your choice. Everyone else seems able to figure this out.

Quote Reply

Prev Next