Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [PB252] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PB252 wrote:
I have a p5x and am near San Jose if you wanted to measure and test
Thanks, I found someone in Santa Rosa with a p3x. I'm in Corte Madera. Shoot me an email at yann@custombikexcessories.com with subject P5x and I will get in touch with you when I have a prototype to test fit. I'd like to test fit on your p5x as well as the p3x.

Yann

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok just a follow up for anyone else looking to repeat.

Tried a few methods and learnings as follows.

Size Small P5x has around 32cm from top of lower storage to top tube.
The large fuelselage is around 40cm.
Fitted large fueselage, was slow to fill up due to bit of internal folding, didnt refill on fly as a result.
Worked fine when internal lower storage was removed, but I use this for my spares.

So size small fuelselage is around the 32cm and fits perfect, and refillable on fly.

As for mounting, option 1 worked well being just tape to top tube. But doesn't look the neatest although alright with black tape and secure.
Note this is easiest for refill, but no bento box fitted.

Option 2 was try mount to the plastic cap that clicks into place.
Did some cutting and so on but ended up much like option 1, as to fit the bladder requires virtually all the width.

Option 3, which should have been tried first, was to fit bento direct to frame, and slot fuelselage into it.
Theres actually an inner ledge by top tube that the fuelselage kinda secures into.
Also allows some storage on top at least until refill time, or the tablet pockets anyway also.

Refill worked well here also, but will try outdoors today to double check.

In short, depending on size of p5x, whether you use lower storage compartment chose your fuelselage size carefully to ensure refill on fly is possible.
Then work away, no cutting, simply slot into the bento storage.

Will try on friends p3x today also to see if similar but don't see why not, though has a diff bento box.

Can fill 550-600ml in small, or extra 200ml ish in large fuelselage.

[URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/...zpslenn9d5k.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/...zpst6ree0r0.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/...zpsri9p5qas.jpg.html][/url]

Here you can see the curve at bottom of cap of fuelselage actually fits direct into the bento of p5x.

[URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/...zpsybyccbyc.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s210.photobucket.com/...zpseezeblkl.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me for 2.

P3X XL

Thanks,
Boki
Last edited by: boki: Jan 18, 20 15:49
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be interested in 2 also.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [Du Coach Jak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those that are expressing interest in this "adapter". Would you prefer it be integrated into some kind of bento box system? or just an adapter that would allow you to properly attach the fuelselage to the frame.
As bento box, if you wanted to be able to refill on the go, the filling flap would be at the top of the bento box, otherwise, if it's buried inside the bento, it could get quite difficult to fill. Also, as a bento box, I don't have a way of making it out of two materials, ie rigid for the base and rubber for the opening.

Can some one provide some dimensions of the opening
1. distance center to center of the 2 screw holes,
2. overall distance from front of recess to back of recess
3. max width of recess near front screw hole
4. max width of recess near rear screw hole.

Better yet, take a piece of cardboard and cut it so it fits perfectly inside the recess, indicate the center of the holes on the cardboard, draw an exact 10 cm line on it and scan it and email it to me at yann@custombikexcessories.com with subject p3x/p5x fuelselage.

thanks

Yann

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll do this for you for a size small frame.
Not sure if the measurements will differ as the frame sizes up however.
Youd imagine not, actually I just ordered replacement bits and no mention of size so should be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fazz wrote:
I'll do this for you for a size small frame.
Not sure if the measurements will differ as the frame sizes up however.
Youd imagine not, actually I just ordered replacement bits and no mention of size so should be good.

Done
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I'm in for one based on the design you posted on the first page.

My preference for design would be something like what you posted - takes the space up of the bento box (ie. isn't just flush mounted with the top tube, but transitions from the stem piece like the stock bento). But I don't care about being able to put anything IN a bento... the bike has so much room for activities already, I can lose the bento just fine.

Quote | Reply
I have Cervelo PX and would love to be able to also some some space for gels etc since the lower box is too low to get anything while riding...

In addition, one of course needs to be able to refill - not an easy task I understand.

If Yann still needs the distances etc, I can do measurements tomorrow and email.

Markus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about leaving the existing food storage thing in place but print a bladder holder that installs in it but hold sit high like hoffam had it, but in a more secure and clean way, so you have to cut the rubber storage from cervelo to fit it around the new piece? then you keep some storage for gels up there..
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
What about leaving the existing food storage thing in place but print a bladder holder that installs in it but hold sit high like hoffam had it, but in a more secure and clean way, so you have to cut the rubber storage from cervelo to fit it around the new piece? then you keep some storage for gels up there..

That would be the simplest and cheapest to do.

[edit]
I take that back, looking at at the smartpak

That would not be so easy to do, the fact that there is rubber on the top part of it, adds a level of difficulty to making an adapter to fit in there. I'll see what I can come up with over the weekend.

Yann

Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Jan 24, 20 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having the holder inside the current rubber storage would be ok for me but I understand it might be quite difficult to make secure and to refill.

Would Yann be capable of designing a totally new storage box (around the size of the original) which would have space for gels as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [TriFinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received my Fuselage finally so was able to try the L size Fuselage into L size Cervelo PX.

Attached a few images:

If placing the Fuselage directly to the frame, the plastic gets a bit tight thus filling it is difficult:

Lifting it up to the upper part of bento box is really the right level:

Would it be possible to just create a small plastic piece which would connect into the screw closer to stem of the bento box and lift the fuselage opening into the upper part of the bento box? Even the inner parts of the bento box seem to be a bit harder plastic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Fazz, thank you for sharing all these photos and details! I'm looking to try the same thing. I have a large frame, but will likely also try with the small fuselage as I also use the bottom storage for spares.

Have you had a chance yet to try filling while outdoors? The P5X bento is pretty slim, so I'm curious how easily you're able to fit/jam a standard water bottle from on-course into the bento for the refill given how deep it must go when the fuselage is flush with frame.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [EnduranceTap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnduranceTap wrote:
Hi Fazz, thank you for sharing all these photos and details! I'm looking to try the same thing. I have a large frame, but will likely also try with the small fuselage as I also use the bottom storage for spares.

Have you had a chance yet to try filling while outdoors? The P5X bento is pretty slim, so I'm curious how easily you're able to fit/jam a standard water bottle from on-course into the bento for the refill given how deep it must go when the fuselage is flush with frame.

Thanks!

Hi there, yes indeed I've trained and used for a few weeks now and made a minor adjustment as follows.

Was using the small fuelselage mounted to bottom of bento, and refilling worked well however I was effectively refilling blind. Too dark and deep to see if any spillage so it wasnt ideal.

Then I made a short mount and fitted the fuelselage to the top of the bento. So the refill cap is right at the zip.you can actually zip up part ways and effectively lock the refill cap in place.
This meant I could now go back to the M/L fuelselage without any issues, meant I could see the fluid as refilling, and actually meant an even better refill option.
Now its literally 3 squeezes of bottle and see the drink flow down the fuelselage. Replace cap and on we go. Much faster, easier and can see no spill etc.

Theres actually no need for a spacer at least on smooth ish roads so far. Bumpy roads may need a bit more securing but so far fuelselage hasn't moved.

First race using it this weekend so see if all goes to plan. 70.3 with no need to use aid stations and max aero time so should work well.

For your size l, I'd stick with the m/l fuelselage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic! Would love to be able to use the larger fuselage. Are you able to post a pic of the mount you made to bring the fuselage open higher within the bento?

Alternatively, I wonder if I could find a small plastic funnel that would solve the depth of bento issue so one is not filling blind, and that would leave some storage space towards the front of the bento. I am going to measure later today to see if the large frame would allow for a flush mount with the large fuselage.

Super excited about all this! Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [TriFinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All,

Finally got around to working on bento/fuelselage mount this weekend.

Here's a short video of inserting the bladder into the prototype.

Note that I don't have easy access to a p3x or p5x, closest one is an hour away. Hoping I can actually try it out on his bike.

Still need to work out an opening in the back of the box to store a small amount of gels/shot blocks.

Let me know what you all think.

Yann

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was inspired last night and continued work on the bento box/fuelselage bladder integration.

Here's the latest iteration. Printed in red this time to show the fit of the top of bladder into the bento box.

Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really impressive. Great work!

I was thinking with version 1, that maybe it would be a little difficult to access the screws to secure the box in the frame, but that seems fixed too, with the 2nd compartment. You probably already solved it, but how would you manage the lid while on the fly? just a small wire to keep it attached while open, or?

Based on Fazz' measurements above, I would think that elevating the top of the bladder to the top of the bento ensures that you can use the size large bladder for size M and bigger bikes. Very nice!

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to try :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [Tigre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigre wrote:
I am in for one!

Well, after all, it was you who suggested this solution originally, about a year ago in Thailand :) Might finally get it done now!
Quote Reply
Re: Fuselage reservoir for Cervelo PX, P3X and P5X - signal your interest [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesdk wrote:
This is really impressive. Great work!

I was thinking with version 1, that maybe it would be a little difficult to access the screws to secure the box in the frame, but that seems fixed too, with the 2nd compartment. You probably already solved it, but how would you manage the lid while on the fly? just a small wire to keep it attached while open, or?

Based on Fazz' measurements above, I would think that elevating the top of the bladder to the top of the bento ensures that you can use the size large bladder for size M and bigger bikes. Very nice!

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to try :)

Thanks, getting there in figuring this all out. Yes the lid, will be attached to the box with a short leash. Magnets in lid and box to keep lid on when not open.

Price will be around $175, maybe less. Hoping to finish prototyping in a week or two. I realize the price seems high, but my cost (printing alone) is more than half that.
Do let me know interest, I will continue only if I have at least 7 people commit to purchasing one. Also please provide which bike and size.

Yann

Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Feb 18, 20 15:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m digging this 2nd prototype. High likelihood that I will purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keen to see how refilling is intended to be done while on the fly. Prefer the 2nd iteration where some space is retained for nutrition. If refill is addressed, I'm in - medium P3X.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for one, my bike is a p5x medium

Prev Next