Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Full Switch Over on Soloist
Quote | Reply
Hey there...

Does anyone go from road to full aero cockpit? For that I mean base bar/aero bar/bar-end shifters taking off a drop bar/STI set up?

So far I'm just slapping aero bars on after replacing my road saddle w/ the tri saddle and flipping it.

Is it difficult to re-route all those cables?

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Full Switch Over on Soloist [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it with a Talon. With a TT base bar, I really suggest keeping the cables and housing specific to the set-up (if you plan on switching back and forth). That way you'll only have to mess with it once. If you're just going to bar-end shifters, you should be good to just move the housing and cable over (depends on how far your aerobars extend, though).

Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I should have been more clear... by re-routing I was talking about moving the cables from the STI's to the base bar/bar ends and visa versa...

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this in the past with another bike. I would remove bars with all cables attached and slap on the other set that all its cabels still attached. I have a soloist now and have been considering doing this but I am not sure I will. The internal cable routing is likely to be a pain to make this transition easy and quick. I am a former bike mechanic so the set up of brakes and deraileurs is not a problem for me (making this type of transition a little more feasable). Let us know what you decide and how it goes. Like I said I may be do the same..

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the conversion on my soloist team (as you described) back and forth a few times for about a year. I had two sets of cables (and some housing)...one that stayed connected to the road bars/sti and another that stayed with the basebar/aero/bar-end shifters. I did end up having to replace cables once (ends got too frayed to route anymore)

Took about an hour to swap from one to the other. Cable routing was the easiest part. The longest part was getting all the shifting adjusted correctly again. On the plus side, I can tune my shifting pretty well now.

After about a year and 3 or 4 races I bought a tri-bike and left Mr. Cervelo in "road-mode".

Kind of a pain, but it got me through my first year of racing without taking the tri-bike plunge. On the plus side, I was able to use the tri-cockpit on the new bike (just bought the frame)...so no waste.

good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy did:

First time I seen any decent soloist in grey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have posted several times my quick change setup that didn't require any shifter adjustments...

search my posts or my me and I will find where I buried it on my server..

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: Full Switch Over on Soloist [whiterock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dumb question from a non-wrench: When you pull the cables, is there a trick to make sure you can re-route the new ones internally? I'd be afraid to pull cables out of the frame and not be able to route the new ones internally.
Quote Reply
Re: Full Switch Over on Soloist [bn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i do swaps with my soloist team (running SRAM RED/Force - not that it matters).

I am luckly as seatpost insertion is the same as I swap saddles (SI SLK to SM Tri). I might just get an extra seatpost 'head' and make the seat swap easy.

Anyway, you asked about the cabling. Shifting: The routing is REALLY easy. The downtube simply has an opening at the bottom and the cables just come out. Rear Brake: is also really easy. Just remove the plastic cable stop at the back end of the top tube, insert cable from the front, and as the cable gets to the back, just rotate the cable until it comes out. Slide the plastic cable stop back on and you're done.

hope that helps.

cheers, jason