Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them?
Quote | Reply
Fuelbelts are rarely seen anymore at races, and I don’t know why more people wouldn’t use them. Craig Alexander wore one back in the day, and he was an incredible runner. I have no problems with Gatorade, but I’d like to have my own higher calorie stuff with me on the run for as long as possible. I usually start a marathon (open or ironman) and dump the belt with a family member roughly halfway through and rely on Gatorade until the end. If you’re thinking, well fop’s wouldn’t want the weight of a fuelbelt slowing them down, I won my last open marathon wearing a belt until the halfway point. I don’t know why more people aren’t using them. Any ideas why?
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you need them if winning a marathon, you get elite bottle treatment.

Why don’t people wear them? Because there are better less restrictive ways of getting race nutrition and because you look like the running version of a fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably tried the wrong kind. Could never get it to fit right. Felt like I was running around with a gun belt and six shooter bouncing around. I can stuff enough gels on my race bib belt and grab waters/Gatorade at the stations. One less variable to worry with on race day and when packing.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Fuel Belt. Actually it’s a brand name for the belt that holds the bib. Haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like a lot of things, they were a fad. You would even see folks showing up to 5Ks with them.

Some pros used them so they could have their preferred/sponsored nutrition, and not be photographed using a competitor’s product. Lots of people used them because they saw the pros doing it.

Now the pros have a special table at aid stations for their preferred nutrition/hydration, so no need for the belt.

I had/have one for long runs, but never liked the bouncing. Ended up getting tri shorts with back pockets that could hold the bottles and using those for long runs.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
Fuelbelts are rarely seen anymore at races, and I don’t know why more people wouldn’t use them. Craig Alexander wore one back in the day, and he was an incredible runner. I have no problems with Gatorade, but I’d like to have my own higher calorie stuff with me on the run for as long as possible. I usually start a marathon (open or ironman) and dump the belt with a family member roughly halfway through and rely on Gatorade until the end. If you’re thinking, well fop’s wouldn’t want the weight of a fuelbelt slowing them down, I won my last open marathon wearing a belt until the halfway point. I don’t know why more people aren’t using them. Any ideas why?

this marathon you did have 20 participants ? wonder also if its rule violation ditching that belt on course
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Like a lot of things, they were a fad. You would even see folks showing up to 5Ks with them.

tri is nothing if not faddish.

remember when everything had to have dimples on it? and when everyone gave up on tri frames and started riding on UCI legal frames (because it worked for deboom/smyers/reid, and 'what if i go to worlds?') and when everyone wore compression? and when arm coolers used to be called arm warmers?

it's silly. fuel belts can be a great idea. wear 'em if they work for you.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Afg53 wrote:

this marathon you did have 20 participants ? wonder also if its rule violation ditching that belt on course
It certainly would be in an Ironman...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Afg53 wrote:

Really? Could you dump the belt in a bin in front of your family and let them do a dumpster dive to recover the belt?
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Afg53 wrote:

Really? Could you dump the belt in a bin in front of your family and let them do a dumpster dive to recover the belt?
On the trainer right now and don't want to find the full rule but theres something in there about if anyone provided assistance to only you that wasn't available to everyone or something like that. A family member can't hand you sunscreen mid race, nor can they leave it in an inconspicuous location for you to find. But I think if they offered literally every competitor in the race the same thing you'd be in the clear? At least that's what I recall but don't quote me on it.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're absolutely correct.

Under rule violations (can only find the 2018 version):

Accepting assistance from anyone other than Race Referees, Race Officials or other Race participants in accordance with the Competition Rules.

If it is possible to amend and return to the
original situation then a 30 or 60 Second Time
Penalty (as applicable) Time Penalty will be
assessed, If not: DSQ
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have special stations in kona, but do they have them in any other Ironmans? If they do, then I can see why no one would use one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like using a fuel belt for my infinit concentrate. That plus on course water and I’m good to go.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use one.

With my gels mixed with a bit of water otherwise you do not get the gel out.
Every 15 minutes a gel together with water from the aid station.
Normally take 14 gels in an Ironman for which 4 flasks are needed.
In the Americas where you do not need your bibnumber on the bike I fix my number on the fuel belt.

Provides for a stress-free marathon without worries which gel they have at aid stations and if there are gels at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I have one collecting dust in my closet. Junk.

For races they are completely unnecessary unless the RD is incompetent at providing proper aid stations.
For training, there are a thousand better options, mostly running vests.
My Salomon Adv Skin 5 can carry more liquid and feels far more comfortable than a crappy fuel belt.
I suppose if you REALLY needed to carry your own nutrition in a long race, a vest would be the best option.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You use 14 gels in an Ironman marathon??? How long are you out there? You must have a cast iron stomach!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
You use 14 gels in an Ironman marathon??? How long are you out there? You must have a cast iron stomach!!!

He said 1 gel in 15 minutes. Times 14 gels = 3.5 hours :)

For me, a fuel belt is not doint the trick. I prefer my backpockets en start with holding 2 gels (en 5 in pockets or something). After I finish those, I switch to whatever is on course.

For (long, 25+km) training runs I prefer a flipbelt over a fuel belt, but might be to much fidling for a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bouncing, extra weight, and hip restriction is why I stopped using them.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same here. I never wore them in races but did in training but after awhile it was just annoying. I just plan my running routes so I can get water within 45min to an hour
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oddly enough, I don't use them in racing...

But I found the SiS gels were great for long runs. Stick a few in a pocket and they provide a few calories, kinda of thirst quenching, and go down easy without water. At least make it so I'm not gagging on a gel until I can find a drinking fountain.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t imagine much worse than wearing a vest in Texas heat. I don’t experience any bouncing with my Nathan belt so I can’t speak to the issues others have with them. I rarely use mine these days, but when I do, the Nathan belt is great.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LS wears a belt

😀
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I also hate aid stations and generally try to avoid them if possible. They don’t have exactly what I want for fuel. You maybe get half of the liquid in a cup into your mouth unless you slow down significantly. And if it isn’t water the other half is going all over you hands or suit or whatever and making a sticky mess.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuelbelt. Why don’t people use them? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have to carry a litre or more of water, a vest is your best bet regardless of the heat.
Slab Sense 2 is very minimalist racing vest with mesh sides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lately I have seen hydration vests popping up very frequently. I see people doing their training runs with them.
Something like that:
https://ultimatedirection.com/race-vest-4-0/
Was thinking of getting one for my long training runs where there are no aid stations.
Anybody having experience with one of those or other brands? Better than Fuelbelts?

Mick

Afg53 wrote:
Quote Reply

Prev Next