Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Frustrated vector user
Quote | Reply
I finally had enough of Garmins vector 3 pedals so I sent them back and thinking about the powertap p1’s. I know the biggest complaint is the ridge on the cleats for entry. I am not a very experienced look entry rider, I’ve always ridden speedplays. Is this ridge really an issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [Sharkbait22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all, similar to the garmin cleats.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedplays are definitely easier, but this isn't cross. You will clip in once during a race and only occasionally during training.

I haven't ridden vectors, but I imagine they are similar to P1s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P1 pedals are more difficult to snap in than any pedal I have ever used. However, it is not horrible and far from a deal breaker. The upside far overshadows the clip-in difficulty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would check out the Assioma Duo. I've been riding a set for a few weeks and they are pretty awesome. Use Look cleats (easy to find vs the PT ones), rechargeable battery is hassle free, and data looks good. I would pick them over the P1 pedals my wife rides any day of the week.
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another Assioma Duo user and have been very happy with them, no issues and I’ve had them since Dec and switched between 3 bikes dozens of times. They just work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sharkbait22 wrote:
I finally had enough of Garmins vector 3 pedals so I sent them back and thinking about the powertap p1’s. I know the biggest complaint is the ridge on the cleats for entry. I am not a very experienced look entry rider, I’ve always ridden speedplays. Is this ridge really an issue?

Before I read your post...I had never noticed this issue with the P1's at all. BTW... I use standard Look Keo cleats for my P1's. Maybe that's why...

What issues did you have with the Vector 3's?? Just curious...
Last edited by: Donzo98: May 27, 18 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
V3 have the battery door issue..

they are being redesigned as I type and users will be sent an email from Garmin confirming shipping address. For me my drive side door is kinda flaky and I've busted the o-rings so I'm waiting for the new door. (it's fine in the dry w/o oring)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did the opposite - got tied of issues with P1s (power drop outs) and picked up Vector 3s. I noticed immediately how easy it was to clip in. With the P1s it was a constant struggle, they have been the worse pedals to clip into, ever! (I use their proprietary cleats.) As someone mentioned, during a race it's not a big deal because you're not stopping. But in training or group rides it's a pain the the ass to not be able to clip in easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing about the Duo..they support non-round rings (like Rotor Q-Rings, Osymmetric etc.)

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleat ridge on the P1... yep. It's not a straight slide-in-snap like Shimano road pedals. The slight twist/wiggle to get the cleat over the ridge was easy to get used to.

I didn't find it an issue with the V3 or Assioma.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had numerous power dropouts for minutes at a time and I had issues where the right pedal doesn’t connect (battery door problems). In one month I talked to Garmin 5 times to try and fix these issues. Finally I had enough because my 30 day warranty was running out so I didn’t want to be left with a $1000 sinker because that’s what they would have been best used as. Now the day I returned then I got an email saying new battery caps were sent out and they came out with new beta software to fix the issue. I just didn’t have the patience to stick with a product that SHOULDNT be in beta testing still. I expected better from garmin. Hope they get it together because I really liked what they advertised for the pedal.
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the duo a straight pedal or do they use pods as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
One more thing about the Duo..they support non-round rings (like Rotor Q-Rings, Osymmetric etc.)

"
Favero Assioma
The Favero Assioma uses IAV Power Technology (Actual Instantaneous Angular Velocity) to correct for any inconsistencies in pedal speed. IAV allows the Assioma DUO and UNO to measure the true pedaling speed within each pedal stroke. This eliminates the issue of inconsistent pedal stroke revolutions caused by oval rings. However even better, IAV also improves the accuracy of the Assioma from +/-2.0% to +/-1.0%."
https://powermetercity.com/2016/07/24/power-meters-oval-chainrings/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sharkbait22 wrote:
I had numerous power dropouts for minutes at a time and I had issues where the right pedal doesn’t connect (battery door problems). In one month I talked to Garmin 5 times to try and fix these issues. Finally I had enough because my 30 day warranty was running out so I didn’t want to be left with a $1000 sinker because that’s what they would have been best used as. Now the day I returned then I got an email saying new battery caps were sent out and they came out with new beta software to fix the issue. I just didn’t have the patience to stick with a product that SHOULDNT be in beta testing still. I expected better from garmin. Hope they get it together because I really liked what they advertised for the pedal.

Exactly, I'm astounded so many people are willing to run the gauntlet on such POS faulty equipment. There are tons of similar stories as your with people having trouble with the garmins, yet people continue to buy them..crazy. Do a similar search on the Assiamos and you will struggle to find anything-they are solid AND the lightest!
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave up on Garmin a few weeks ago after I was mislead by customer service. I now have new Vector 3's awaiting the new designed battery doors and then they will be for sale. New on the bike is Favero Assioma, like others have said, they just work. Straightforward, quick installation and setup. Fit and finish is excellent. They are lighter and less expensive then the Vector 3's, and they work. By the way all my Garmin products will be sold, I'm done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sharkbait22 wrote:

I'm right there with you. My first pair worked great until I changed the batteries. Then issues. Sent them in, got replacements, and they haven't worked since Day 1. I'm now at six weeks without power, and told Garmin I'm sending them back. Like you, I simply can't understand why they would have sent me a new pair if they knew of the problem (I didn't know it was commonplace at that point). The last few weeks' responses have been "we're ALMOST ready to ship."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sharkbait22 wrote:
Is the duo a straight pedal or do they use pods as well?

A pod in line with the pedal axle. Google for pics. ( My take on them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWOlKT3jDJs )

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had P1s since they first came out, got rid of two Quarqs and got the pedals. I have had zero issues myself. Was a little temped to "upgrade" to the Vector 3s, but couldn't find a compelling reason to make the switch and I haven't heard any good things about their reliability. And really prefer using an Allen wrench to a pedal wrench for removal as I switch them a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bltri wrote:
Sharkbait22 wrote:

I'm right there with you. My first pair worked great until I changed the batteries. Then issues. Sent them in, got replacements, and they haven't worked since Day 1. I'm now at six weeks without power, and told Garmin I'm sending them back. Like you, I simply can't understand why they would have sent me a new pair if they knew of the problem (I didn't know it was commonplace at that point). The last few weeks' responses have been "we're ALMOST ready to ship."

same shit the did to me with version 1 then told me to upgrade to version 2... they never worked consistently for more than two months...

I bought p1 and I haven't had not even one issue, drop, problem whatsoever.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Frustrated vector user [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now you really have me thinking. I was going to get the p1's but seeing so many good reviews with the duo's. My only thing is favero is still new to this game compared to powertap. Still trying to find something bad written about the assioma duo's! If anyone can say something bad I'm ready to hear it!! Now I'm torn on what to get. I think either one will be better than the paperweight I used to have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sharkbait22 wrote:
Now you really have me thinking. I was going to get the p1's but seeing so many good reviews with the duo's. My only thing is favero is still new to this game compared to powertap. Still trying to find something bad written about the assioma duo's! If anyone can say something bad I'm ready to hear it!! Now I'm torn on what to get. I think either one will be better than the paperweight I used to have.

As you have seen with the Garmin's it doesn't take long for the public to let you know if there is problems all not. I did the same as you and tried to google Assiamo problems and could hardly find a thing-that told me everything I needed to know!

fwiw I was set on buying Rotor 2INPower, but didn't realize I would be up for around $400 in taxes which put it around $2k, so I ditched that idea and went for the Assiamos after much research and at half the price! Bonus is I cna easily swap them on to my road bike from the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Duos are the second gen of the Bepro power pedals and although Powertap has been in the powermeter game a long time, the P1s are their first attempt at power pedals and have had their issues. I’ve never used the P1s but given the issues I’ve read and (even if they were resolved quickly by Powertap) all the positives the Duos users have posted I’d have a hard time going with the P1s

Also the Duos are very user serviceable unlike the P1s or Vectors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sharkbait22 wrote:
Still trying to find something bad written about the assioma duo's! If anyone can say something bad I'm ready to hear it!!

No combined L/R BLE channel. Same as the P1. They become an UNO if you're connected via BLE to them. Non standard charge cables. Ummm.... That's about it. Oh, and damn Look-esque cleats.

That's all I've got trying to curse them. I'd say they're a good buy.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did everyone magically forget that the P1s have had historically terrible battery doors as well on release? I honestly don’t know anyone who hasn’t had at least one set of replacement battery doors on their P1 pedals.
Quote Reply

Prev Next