Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front wheel for TT/Tri bike: 2017 Zipp 404 Firecrest OR Zipp 404 Firestrike?
Quote | Reply
Trying to decide on a front wheel for 2018/19 Trek Speed Concept. May get for about the same price either 2017 Zipp 404 Firecrest Clincher or 404 Firestrike Clincher. Looks like brake track is 24.73mm in Firecrest versus 26.4mm in Firestrike. However, Firecrest comes with Sapim CX-Sprint spokes vs. CX-Ray in Firestrike. Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!!

Stats: main use sprint tri (20k) and road TT, rider weight 120lb, bike handling skills ~cat3/4, rear wheel is super 9, overage speed (flat) 23-24 mph, road bike is felt ar3 with campa bora 50 wheels.
Last edited by: vladi: Feb 19, 19 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for TT/Tri bike: 2017 Zipp 404 Firecrest OR Zipp 404 Firestrike? [vladi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason you don't want something deeper? If this is going to be a race only wheel set no reason not to go with a 808 or something of similar depth from another company on the front.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for TT/Tri bike: 2017 Zipp 404 Firecrest OR Zipp 404 Firestrike? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Any reason you don't want something deeper? If this is going to be a race only wheel set no reason not to go with a 808 or something of similar depth from another company on the front.

Thanks! The only reason to stay around 60mm front is my daughter's weight of 120lb. I was advised that e.g. 808 may be unstable in cross winds. Just in case - on her road bike she rides 50mm Campa Boras.
Last edited by: vladi: Feb 19, 19 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for TT/Tri bike: 2017 Zipp 404 Firecrest OR Zipp 404 Firestrike? [vladi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Firestrike is basically the NSW with different hubs. Vastly improved braking. That would be my choice. 50-60mm is the ideal front depth IMO. Doesn’t trade much speed to deeper wheels but very calm in crosswinds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the price is close to the same, I'd go for the Firestrike. It's likely a smidge faster and you may get a tad more for it should you decide to sell.
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for TT/Tri bike: 2017 Zipp 404 Firecrest OR Zipp 404 Firestrike? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
If the price is close to the same, I'd go for the Firestrike. It's likely a smidge faster and you may get a tad more for it should you decide to sell.

Thanks! Resell value is a very good point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vladi wrote:
Looks like break track is 24.73mm in Firecrest versus 26.4mm in Firestrike.
That would be "brake" track, and yes, go with the Firestrike.
Quote Reply
Re: Front wheel for TT/Tri bike: 2017 Zipp 404 Firecrest OR Zipp 404 Firestrike? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Just fxed the typo too.
Quote Reply