Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front mech setup with osymetric rings
Quote | Reply
I have got the latest generation osym rings and trying to see if anybody has any pointers on which fd setup would be the best with them.

I have one set installed on a bike with a 105 fd which mostly works okay. I am now planning to install them on a bike with ultegra fd. I have noticed the width of the cage is tiny bit smaller on th ultegra - should I replace the fd - if yes! What will be the best option. This is a 10 speed mechanical setup and I am all shimano.

Should I get a 105 fd?
Quote Reply
Re: Front mech setup with osymetric rings [tectweaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interested to know how you set up the 105 mech with the osymetrics. I'm running Q rings and recently tried fitting a 105 5800 front mech but couldn't get the mech to align as the back of the cage was too low to go over the rings at their highest point. Is there a fix to this? The mech is braze on.
Quote Reply
Re: Front mech setup with osymetric rings [TriathlonVR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well i have qrings on my road bike with 10 speed 105 setup and qxl rings with duraace 10 speed on my tt bike
and both works perfectly fine, my tt rubs a tiny bit one the smallest chain ring and biggest cog (the granny gear)
i cant tell you how to specificly set it up since i let my lbs do that for me, all i can say that the road setup was either easier or that lbs just is a smarter man, because that only took him one try, compared to 3 attempts on the tt bike by a lbs that has closed now.

remember with the rings you can buy some spacers that can move the derailur forwards or backwards as needed

sorry i cant be of more help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if cage width is the issue (you should test it first to make sure it is) you can just remove the bolt from the back side of the cage, add a spacer or two, and tighten up again.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriathlonVR wrote:
Interested to know how you set up the 105 mech with the osymetrics. I'm running Q rings and recently tried fitting a 105 5800 front mech but couldn't get the mech to align as the back of the cage was too low to go over the rings at their highest point. Is there a fix to this? The mech is braze on.

You can buy angled shims from rotor (and other sources) which will help with that problem.

I wrote a little bit about the install if that helps

Quote Reply
Re: Front mech setup with osymetric rings [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the angled shim is just what I need, thanks for the heads up. The width of the cage is fine, the problem is the chain dropping on the back of the cage when in the big ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sue the Rotor angled shim with their QXL rings. It tilts the cage down enough to clear the chain running on the cage bridge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You *may* get away with one of the sram mtb front mech tapered wedges depending on how adjustable your front mech hanger is, but osym's used to be supplied with a 10mm riser block, which also moved your mech back as well as higher.
Trainsharp and a few others sell a more expensive version.
I actually ended up having to use one of these with Q rings on my exocet as i couldn't get enough clearance.

Morelock- i dont think you can open the newer shimano front mechs anymore; they're either one piece or riveted.

sram wedgie:

Osym version:

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Front mech setup with osymetric rings [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the same problem
Quote Reply
Re: Front mech setup with osymetric rings [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahh you may be right :/ Just another way the man is sticking it to us!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tectweaker wrote:
What will be the best option.

Di2.
Quote Reply
Re: Front mech setup with osymetric rings [PoorLBSEmployee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should have been more clear. Thanks for all the pointers.

The drop in the cage is not an issue for me. I have the shim that goes between the fd and the frame.

The main issue is the width of the cage. The ultegra and dura ace derailleurs I have - don't have the screw anymore. They cage is riveted together. The only option I see is to buy a fd which has a little bit wider cage or perhaps go some other route?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tectweaker wrote:

The drop in the cage is not an issue for me. I have the shim that goes between the fd and the frame.

The main issue is the width of the cage. The ultegra and dura ace derailleurs I have - don't have the screw anymore. They cage is riveted together. The only option I see is to buy a fd which has a little bit wider cage or perhaps go some other route?

Try a campag mech. They seem to be a bit wider, and also a little less flexy to me. Doesn't have to be record, veloce is fine
Quote Reply
Re: Front mech setup with osymetric rings [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a good tip. Worth trying I think. Do you know what exactly is the width on the cage for the record campy fd? I think that if I have 2-3 mm more width then ultegra\DA then that is all what I need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tectweaker wrote:

Drill out the rivet and use the screw and washers (spacers) Osymetric supplies.
Quote Reply
Re: Front mech setup with osymetric rings [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
tectweaker wrote:

Drill out the rivet and use the screw and washers (spacers) Osymetric supplies.

I’ve been running Osymetric’s for a year with a 105 derailleur on a P2. Whilst it’s viable I’m often having to trim the derailleur & even then there’s always noise under power in the 52x11.

I’d love to get this sorted, but I’d rather avoid drilling the derailleur. Reading around it seems that the QXL rings are less finicky.

Has anyone here moved from Osymetrics to QXLs?
Last edited by: SteveM: Nov 25, 18 20:15
Quote Reply