Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Front light recommendations [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
plant_based wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Pro-tip: if you purchase plastic or thinner aluminum out front mounts, they'll break, and your light will break when it hits the ground.

It won't hit the ground if the leash catches it if they fall off somehow.

Leash?? Do tell. Not heard of or seen such a thing.

Basically something like https://hostevie.com/gopro-leash.html but wrapped around your handlebars. Your light/computer/etc. kind of needs to have a hole to run the cable through, but you can potentially also do a 3M sticky if there's enough of a flat surface (I did this for my Varia radar - works pretty well although I had to trim the plastic piece slightly)
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buying a used Exposure Race light was a complete paradigm shift for me concerning night riding. I had to work most of one winter down at Camp Pendleton near Oceanside and decided to ride at night a bit. I found an Exposure light on ST classifieds for $150 and it blew me away. I keep my on a three-setting mode. When I'm climbing it stays on low (which will last for 12 hours) and then on the downhills I kick it up to high (2 hours) and it will provide enough light to descend mountainous roads as fast as I would in daylight ... well, maybe close to normal (even off-road).
I like it so much that winter that I bought the Exposure rear light and I swear, I had fewer close calls in the dark than I do during the day.
If my Exposure ever broke or failed I would pay for another.
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [martinobanana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martinobanana wrote:
Any StVZO approved light. Germany has bike lights regulation, the lights should be designed not to blind / dazzle traffic in the opposite direction. This means the lights usually have better designed lens, resulting in less lumens needed in general.

I use Lezyne LITE DRIVE STVZO PRO 80, I see they no longer make it but have more powerful version. Can be easily mounted to garmin gopro mount or use the mount supplied by them. Wired remote is nice bonus.

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/led-lights-stvzo/products/lite-drive-stvzo-pro-115-loaded-reverse

This is the pattern from my light. You can clearly see how the top is cut not to blind incoming traffic or people.
https://www.lezyne.com/images/product/Product-led-litepro80stvzo-y11-zoom4.jpg

I am so with you. Many modern lights have all fancy software (apparently you can talk to some), but the reflector and beam shape are last century's technology.
I think it's offensive if someone blinds you with his MegaWatt trail light. 80% of the beam goes into space/into trees, or worst: Into oncoming riders/drivers eyes.
Can't believe there are no regulations on this. Plain dangerous.

I have the Busch&Muller ICON IQ.
http://en.bumm.de/...nwerfer/ixon-iq.html

The beam is where I need the light and there is little 'waste', with up to 5 hrs runtime in high mode. Regular rechargeable batteries.

It doesn't take voice commands, but maybe my German just isn't good enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Here you go, $9 shipped:
https://www.amazon.com/G-SAVR-Lanyard-Tether-Leash-Computer/dp/B01G6IUGBC?th=1
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Here you go, $9 shipped:
https://www.amazon.com/G-SAVR-Lanyard-Tether-Leash-Computer/dp/B01G6IUGBC?th=1
My man!!

You know I'll be getting the multipack though... can't possibly pass up bulk pricing.

That is... if it works for any of my components.

Does anyone know if this leash works for any of these? If so, how??
  1. Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt
  2. NiteRider Lumina 1800- or 900-lumen model.
  3. GoPro 7 Black (maybe just through mounting case?).

I can't find a way to hook it to any of them. Might just have to go leash-free and stick with overbuilt mounts unless someone can help me here.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Lupine sl 7 (it‘s legal for german official road use) and it‘s a fantastic front light. Works flawless and you will never care for any other front light I will promise you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good replies here. I like the cateye ampp lights. I use the 500 series on all daytime rides for visibility and the 800 model for dusk to dark rides. If you are riding in fully dark conditions without street lights, I'd suggest a light with 1500 lumens or more. I like the cateye volt 1700 for that option. All can be bar mounted or go pro mounted below an out front computer mount.

They all have a few modes, well thought out, perfect for cycling. 2 or 3 solid modes and 2 blink modes.

Excellent reliability and good combination of lumens, weight, and battery length.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 9, 21 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking at those, but are the cateye volts still made? The cateye website just shows the ampp series.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I was looking at those, but are the cateye volts still made? The cateye website just shows the ampp series.

https://www.cateye.com/...dlights/HL-EL1020RC/

I use the 500 ampp and 800 ampp more frequently. The 500 is always on my bike for every daytime ride on roads, similar to cars "dayrunner" lights. The 800 goes on day to dusk to early dark rides. And the volt is enough lumens for night rides. The lower lumen volt series has been updated by the ampp series and it wouldn't surprise me if the volt 1700 is updated, too. I have the 1100 ampp, but don't use it as much, as it seems a little heavy for the lumen output. That being said, they have been rock solid reliable and are well built.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 9, 21 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link, but it looks like the volt 1700 is no longer available in the US, except on eBay for crazy prices.

What do you think of the brightness and effectiveness of the ampp 1100 (except the weight) ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nevertoolate wrote:
martinobanana wrote:
Any StVZO approved light. Germany has bike lights regulation, the lights should be designed not to blind / dazzle traffic in the opposite direction. This means the lights usually have better designed lens, resulting in less lumens needed in general.

I use Lezyne LITE DRIVE STVZO PRO 80, I see they no longer make it but have more powerful version. Can be easily mounted to garmin gopro mount or use the mount supplied by them. Wired remote is nice bonus.

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/led-lights-stvzo/products/lite-drive-stvzo-pro-115-loaded-reverse

This is the pattern from my light. You can clearly see how the top is cut not to blind incoming traffic or people.
https://www.lezyne.com/images/product/Product-led-litepro80stvzo-y11-zoom4.jpg

I am so with you. Many modern lights have all fancy software (apparently you can talk to some), but the reflector and beam shape are last century's technology.
I think it's offensive if someone blinds you with his MegaWatt trail light. 80% of the beam goes into space/into trees, or worst: Into oncoming riders/drivers eyes.
Can't believe there are no regulations on this. Plain dangerous.

I have the Busch&Muller ICON IQ.
http://en.bumm.de/...nwerfer/ixon-iq.html

The beam is where I need the light and there is little 'waste', with up to 5 hrs runtime in high mode. Regular rechargeable batteries.

It doesn't take voice commands, but maybe my German just isn't good enough.

There's plenty of regulations in Europe (and UK) for road going vehicles. Inc bikes (you all still have the reflectors on your pedals, handlebar and seat post haven't you ?? And not taken any of them off because they cause an aero penalty or look naff on a €10k bike ??)

Luckily the Stazi in the UK have not yet decided to take up on this.
Better to be illuminated than not.
Gives the dickhaed drivers fiddling about with their radio / phone / knob no excuses for not seeing the biker.
And irrespective of any lens shape, if the bleedin thing is not mounted pointing in the right direction and angle (often with a naff rubber bungee mount) then the lens shape is utterly irrelevant.

The good quality UK made lights from the likes of Expusure, Hope and lumicycle do have smart designs of lenses if you buy the right ones anyway to maximise useable light vs trying to illuminate the heavens - but see my 1st comment re. cheaper stuff from China made by kids or the oppressed.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Thanks for the link, but it looks like the volt 1700 is no longer available in the US, except on eBay for crazy prices.

What do you think of the brightness and effectiveness of the ampp 1100 (except the weight) ?

The 1100 is a very good light with a great beam pattern. Cateye's website lets you compare beam patterns side by side. It could work great as a daytime, daytime to dusk to night light. If you were to use it solely at night time on roads with traffic and little other ambient light, I still suggest having more total lumens. On rides started at night, I use the ampp 500 as a helmet mounted light. The 500 has a brighter spot, which is great for getting car traffic attention. The 1100 has a much wider, more spread out, no strong center spot, but a smooth usable light source for night rides. It has really nice optics. I should add all the ampp lights have side panels that allows the light to shine forward and can be seen on both sides. This is good for additional visibility of you from a car's point of view on side roads.

I have been doing night rides for over 10 years. I have a lot of lights from a lot of companies, niterider, light and motion, lezyne, dinotte, serfas, even high end German lupine lights, and I really like the cateye ampp lights when considering: reliability, clean mounting (I use a gopro mount), easy to swap different cateye lights between the gopro mount, lightweight, battery run time, beam shape, and very usable light patterns (so many lights have overkill light patterns of which I think many are useless). Also, I don't need bluetooth or remote switches. My lupines have these and I don't use those features. I like it simple.

I recently tried the Giant recon hl 1800 to potentially replace my volt 1700. The Giant was a little lighter, but inferior, in my opinion to the volt as it related to the light patterns and also battery run time was shorter than advertised. I ended up returning it.

Good luck in your decision!
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 9, 21 17:45
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I was trying to say is: buy good light with good lens not to blind incoming traffic. I agree there are many options, but if you want to save some time and money you can aim for lights with certifications (like stvzo). I tried numerous lights in the past before noticing stvzo and I'm happy I don't have to anymore :)

Btw, not a 100% fan of regulations, I believe stzvo approved tail light must not flash so I don't use stvzo approved tail light.

I eat bananas so I can go faster tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [martinobanana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martinobanana wrote:

I looked at the Lezyne light line as well. But I am wondering about the long-term gravel durability of the mounts, which are essentially just rubber straps. I wonder if there are alternatives? I have to use a handlebar style mount (I have a special mount for this coming from my fork crown), because I have aerobars on my gravel bike and those pretty much block any stem-based gopro or garmin type mounts ...

All ideas welcome.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both the Garmin ut800 and an outbound lighting trail edition. I use the Garmin on my road bike and it's great since it turns on and off with the head unit.

The outbound light is much brighter though. However, I only use it off road. But they do have a road edition which has a sharp cutoff line https://www.outboundlighting.com/...series-road-edition/. Outbound lighting is a much smaller company as well.
Last edited by: Chiefmarley: Apr 10, 21 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
martinobanana wrote:
Any
StVZO approved light. Germany has bike lights regulation, the lights should be designed not to blind / dazzle traffic in the opposite direction. This means the lights usually have better designed lens, resulting in less lumens needed in general.

I looked at the Lezyne light line as well. But I am wondering about the long-term gravel durability of the mounts, which are essentially just rubber straps. I wonder if there are alternatives? I have to use a handlebar style mount (I have a special mount for this coming from my fork crown), because I have aerobars on my gravel bike and those pretty much block any stem-based gopro or garmin type mounts ...

All ideas welcome.

I use this on my aero bars to hold my Garmin and cateye light. I passed on the rubber band option, as I wanted the light to be fixed exceptionally well. This Corki model is a very good product. I'd gladly pay 3x the price. I have the long and short models, but ended up using the long model, as it centers the light and computer better between my bars.

Where do you mount your computer, if you use one?

https://www.amazon.com/...TPKQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 10, 21 8:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
I use this on my aero bars to hold my Garmin and cateye light. I passed on the rubber band option, as I wanted the light to be fixed exceptionally well. This is a very good product. I'd gladly pay 3x the price. I have the long and short model, but ended up using the long model, as it centers the light and computer.

Where do you mount your computer, if you use one?

https://www.amazon.com/...TPKQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Thanks, that's a good option, I will see how that fits on my aerobars.

Uh ... my ... computer?

For my computer, I use one of these (cheap!, just $12) and I have a way that I have mounted just the head of it to the top of my stem.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had 2 metal and one plastic mount fail. I have had zero rubber strap failures. Vibration and impacts are tough on stiff things. Rubber is less stiff. Hate the look & aero of rubber straps so usually opt for non strap options still.

N=1 of course. Ymmv.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
I have had 2 metal and one plastic mount fail. I have had zero rubber strap failures. Vibration and impacts are tough on stiff things. Rubber is less stiff. Hate the look & aero of rubber straps so usually opt for non strap options still.

N=1 of course. Ymmv.

All good, this kind of feedback and input is perfect.

Thank you.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [Chiefmarley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Thanks for the heads up to Outbound lights. I've been researching something for Unbound (formerly DK) this year and that the Trail EVO looks great. I'd also use it for future bikepacking trips and I really like that it accepts pass through charging from a USB battery pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

All ideas welcome.
https://ride.lezyne.com/...o-115-loaded-reverse
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for NightRider. I have a Lumina 1200 as well as a smaller one, I think maybe the 900. For night mountain biking I use the 1200 on a bar mount and the 900 on my helmet. For road riding I used the 1200 for a long time but never needed the brightest setting, so more recently I've switched to the 900 mounted to a K-Edge combination Garmin/GoPro mount. Nice clean setup with plenty of light for road riding on suburban roads.

The NightRider stuff has been super-durable and they hold a charge forever. Multiple brightness settings as well as daytime flashing modes. No complaints whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Re: Front light recommendations [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

All ideas welcome.

Thanks, but what kind of mount is that? Will that work via a bar mount?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
MattyK wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

All ideas welcome.

A front stem gopro mount is pictured in the link. The light’s brightness level is 290 lumens. At $99.99, that is a very expensive light for those specs that reputable competitors will charge under $30. The mount is worth $15.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 10, 21 19:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
MattyK wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

All ideas welcome.

A front stem gopro mount is pictured in the link. The light’s brightness level is 290 lumens. At $99.99, that is a very expensive light for those specs that reputable competitors will charge under $30. The mount is worth $15.
It's an upside down GoPro mount on the light itself. If you have probably any out-front mount that can accommodate a GoPro on the underside then you could attach this light to it.

As for price - it's a decently high power StVZO light. You can't rate it on lumens alone, 115 lux is great for the road and the beam pattern would be excellent. Compared to some round beam light, it wouldn't just sh*t on it from a great height, it would upper-decker it convincingly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next