Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Front End Hydration Solutions w/ Narrow Armpads
Quote | Reply
I just received the new Culprit Carbon Composite Speed Rests which have made everything super comfy and allowed me to get my arm pads a bit narrower. However, the new setup doesn't allow my Profile Design FC35 to fit.

I love the ability just to drink from a straw instead of playing with a bottle between the arms. I'd love to see examples of other peoples setups.

For what its worth, I only race Olys so I usually only carry one bottle in the front.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Front End Hydration Solutions w/ Narrow Armpads [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a picture right now, but I made (3d printed) a pedestal in between my arms such that the bottle sits above my arms rather than in between. The simplest solution is two bolts and 6 nuts. With 2 nuts you tighten the bolt into the original hole, the other four are used to set the bottle cage height (one below and one above the cage, front and back)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me as another interested to see these setups. Thanks to OP for starting thread on this.
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure something like this would make it work for you. Since the bottle is higher up, you should cut the straw shorter.

https://tririg.com/products/bta-riser
Quote Reply
Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that could work in conjunction with a product like the xlab Torpedo Versa? Mount the xlab baseplate to the aerobars, attach the Tririg riser, and then attach the cage and torpedo bottle?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the torhans aero30 which works with narrow pads for me.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:

This is what I’ve always used for narrow pads too. But they’ve been selling off remaining product for months and yesterday I received an email from them with 60% off remaining stock which will be followed by closing down.

It’s a bummer because the bottles were proven aero. Downside is my wife and I had more than one race impacted by their mounts partially or totally failing:(
Quote Reply
Re: [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
shoki wrote:

This is what I’ve always used for narrow pads too. But they’ve been selling off remaining product for months and yesterday I received an email from them with 60% off remaining stock which will be followed by closing down.

It’s a bummer because the bottles were proven aero. Downside is my wife and I had more than one race impacted by their mounts partially or totally failing:(

Got that email too last night, the aero30 is sold out

Funny thing…I use an old profile design mount instead of torhans’s because it was a little too large for the zipp Evo 110 I installed the way I need it em. The plastic of the profile is a little softer which might lead to not breaking

Only downside (since I’m having the first one) is the splashing so I got used to only fill water in there

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Jan 4, 24 13:52
Quote Reply
Re: [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
shoki wrote:

Got that email too last night, the aero30 is sold out

Funny thing…I use an old profile design mount instead of torhans’s because it was a little too large for the zipp Evo 110 I installed the way I need it em. The plastic of the profile is a little softer which might lead to not breaking

Only downside (since I’m having the first one) is the splashing so I got used to only fill water in there

Funny! That's the first thing I noticed was sold out too!

I also have mine on the Evo 110's.

My splash fix is using the black splash sponge that I think came with Syntace bottles in the past. Otherwise these things are a total mess!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason you can't change your stem and use an Aeria that sits below your extensions but still gives you a straw?
Quote Reply
Re: Front End Hydration Solutions w/ Narrow Armpads [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about that, but there would be a fair amount of drinking straw exposed from a stem mounted system up to my aero bars due to the amount of stack I run.

And from what I have read, between the arms hydration is generally seen as not having an aero penalty.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s understandable. The straw on the Aeria has a magnet at the end that keeps it down when not in use minimizing the aero penalty. Additionally, its design is actually an improvement of the front end as opposed to a potentially neutral bta setup. In Jim Manton’s words, it turns the front end of an ordinary bike into a super bike front end.
Quote Reply