Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

From Olympic to IM... How Long???
Quote | Reply
I am set to finish my first year of triathlons at the end of next month with my first olympic distance. I've done 2 longer sprints and am set to do a very short sprint in the morning. In both of my races so far, i'm basically at the front of the MOP overall and of MOP in my age group (30-34).

I see the IM as an intangible goal right now. I still can't really imagine running a marathon... but like most of us, I sure would like to give IM a shot. I'll probably ride a century in October and the swim seems to bother me the least.

How long does it take to train for an IM? I'm 33 years old now. Is this a realistic goal? Should I set my sights on more Olympic distances next year and then maybe an IM the year after? A 1/2 IM?

What are your experiences as IM finishers? Can you just put the pedal to the metal and go from olympic to IM in a year? Are there many of you out there that started in your 30's and do/did IM's?

Thanks,

Bo
Quote Reply
Re: From Olympic to IM... How Long??? [GoBo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bo,

I started triathlon at age 41, and went from sprint to oly to half to IM in my first year. If you let go of finishing time goals, it's all do-able. You just have to do the miles. You've got to forget about speed and just be prepared to put in long, long hours and miles.

After having been through IM preparation, I think a reasonably fit person with no "body mass" issues to struggle through can be ready to have a fun time at an IM with 20 or so weeks of dedicated prep time. If you are going to be self-coached, I recommend the Tips page over at Gordo Byrn's website (www.gordoworld.com). Read his "four pillars" series and think it through.

An IM is only as hard as you want to make it. If you can be happy toodling along like you're supposed to and finish in 12-14 hours, you'll finish one no problem. I finished in 13:14 my first time out and had a great time. Parts of the bike were tough, and I walked every other mile in the marathon. Frankly, I've had more harder, more challenging days backpacking on the Appalachian Trail. An IM does not need to crush you. It's your choice how hard it is.

If you plan on 'racing' the IM and trying to get on the podium in your AG, then you might want to give yourself a few years to build some deeper endurance.

Just my 2 cents...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple answers...

Can you do it in one year? Yes, if your goal is just to finish.

Can you be a MOP 30-34 IMer next year. Yes, if you work very hard for the next year, don't get injured, and have a solid race.

Lots of people do IM's as their first every triathlon, so the question of "can" is really not relevant.

If, however, your goal is to do an IM well and enjoy it, then perhaps waiting another year or two isn't a bad plan.

Now my experience:

I'm 33. Last year was my 2nd year. I did my first Olympic. It was hard. This year I did my first 1/2IM. It was hard, but not as hard as the Oly and I think I did better relative to my AG. I thought I would do an IM next year, but I ended up feeling like the 1/2IM was so much fun, that I'll do 3 next year instead of an IM, then do the IM the following year. My goal is to do an IM well, so I'm going to be fairly patient before signing up for one. There is no rush. The shorter races are fun and every year my base gets deeper, I get faster, and the distance gets easier.

My personal feeling. Many people do an IM too early in there tri career and it detracts from the rest of their tri career. Not everyone ends up this way mind you, but I think this is especially true for the more competitive spirits who suffer mentally when they attempt and IM and end "just finishing" and not getting to enjoy the competitive aspect. ]

Patience. That's my answer.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was 34 when I entered and completed my first IM (California) in 2000. I have been a triathlete since 1987 (a Bud Lite sprint in Los Angeles). I was content doing short-distance races for many years. When I finally did decided to complete an IM, it was in October of 1998. I set a goal of doing a full IM in 2000. I developed a training plan that would bring me to my goal of just finishing. And, finish I did, in 16:53. It takes a lot of time to train -- many, many miles in all three disciplines. There are reasonable plans for being ready for an IM in a year. I just chose to take a little bit longer. Even with the slower approach, I did have one injury. Train smart and safe, then have a good time. For reference, I'm a BOP/MOP. I do this for fun and fitness, not for awards.

I used to have a signature...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't really answer your question based on any expertise, but I can tell you where I am. I have been riding a bicycle off and on for my whole life, but was unfit in 1998, meaning that I had no real exercise program. In 1998, I started riding once a week. In August 2001, after a poor physical(I just finished college at 33 and was working 60+ hour weeks so I was 20 lbs overweight and had cholesterol of 275+), I started running a couple of times a week, and lifting weights in addition to riding. A friend told me that I should do triathlons, since I do everything but swim, so I started swimming last September, having no swim experience except for the usual hanging out in the pool thing.

I did my first Int'l distance race in June, and followed that with Tupper Lake(1/2 IM) two weeks later. Both went very well, and I finished ahead of my projections. I hope to do two more tri's this year, end the season with a marathon in October, then start working on my swim technique and head to the basement for some long base training. I plan to do IMUSA next year, and while it is daunting, doing the half made me realize that if you stick with the plan you can do it.

I come from a long line of couch potatos. Both of my parents have had heart disease AND cancer. I hope to avoid that fate by following a strict regimen of overuse injuries. ;) Seriously though, I was very unsure of myself going into the 1/2 IM race(because of the swim, of course) but it went very well, and having a wetsuit makes you realize that drowning, while possible, is very unlikely.

The only advice I can offer is to stick with the plan, and believe in yourself. I am entirely self-coached, and use the Triathlete's Training Bible, Training Plans for Multisports Athletes, and Going Long to plan my workout schedules. I also listen to the experienced triathletes I swim with, and read this forum frequently. But take advice judiciously. What works for me may not work for you. Use periodization, practice your fueling, REST, and finally, stick with the plan.

Good luck, and good training!

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply