Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frame/wheel size question 650c rant
Quote | Reply
I'm really getting tired of the limited wheel and tire selection for 650c and while looking at tri bikes websites, almost all force you into 650c if the frame is less than 55cm in size. What I don't get is why? I've read all the Slowtwitch and Bikesport, etc. articles, and currently have a 78 degree, 650c wheel tribike. But looking for 650c wheels and tires, I've found I either go low end, or very high where as if I was on 700c my choices would be greatly improved. Now, I could just get a road frame, and build it that was but then I would have to go to a forward post, shorter aerobars, blah blah blah. Does anyone know of a manufacturer (other than going custom) that builds 700c tribikes (76-78 degrees) in sizes like 53, 52 cm?

Thanks for putting up with this.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: Frame/wheel size question 650c rant [Chris in Balto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a frame that size your head tube length might keep you from getting the handlebars low enough,but you can always use a stem with a lot of drop(might be hard to find) or use a adjustable stem
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: Frame/wheel size question 650c rant [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well after my little rant/fit there, I clicked on the Cervelo link just to check one more biker maker. So here's where I got egg on my face. All the way back to the Cervelo One model, you can get 700c wheel down to a 51cm frame. Why is this not available with most companies? Oh well, guess gerard will get my next purchase.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: Frame/wheel size question 650c rant [TheChameleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

It's simple: because unless you want to use a severely down-angled stem, that is the only way to get the aerobars low enough relative to the saddle.

If you like having your aerobars way up high so that you punch a big ol' hole in the air, then you don't need a steep-angled tri bike in the first place - just slap some shorty aero bars on a road bike, and skip the forward seatpost.

P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo makes small size 700 frames in all their tri bikes - Dual, P2K and P3.

I'm not totally sold on 650's unless you're a smaller size (under 5'7") and see no point for 650 with taller people. I fall into "no man's land" at 5'10" where it could be either or.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear what you are saying. I have been involved with the sport of triathlon and cycling for a very long time. Have always ridden 700c bikes so never had a problem getting the wheels/tires that I needed. However, my girlfriend recently bought a 650c tribike and I must say that the selection of clincher tires( in Canada) is terrible. It's essentially all high end that's available( $70+/tire) Meanwhile, I can get a decent set of clincer tires for my bike for less than $30/tire.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might also check www.javbike.com. Their Arcole tri bike is quite a bit more $$ than a Cervelo one, but it is very similar to the Cervelo Soloist geometry wise, the P2k or P3 aero wise. It has a 74.5 degree seat tube and an adjustable seat post. I'm riding a 54cm in 700c at about 76 degrees, but they also make a 51cm that might fit the bill.

Or check out custom bikes by Cramerotti, Guru, or Yaqui.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Frame/wheel size question 650c rant [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look towards the Javelin Arcole. The Arcole is also made as a 700c bike all the way down to the 51 size. As a racer that has riden both the P3 and the Arcole, I would recomend taking the time to test ride the Arcole as well as the P3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt Road frames are 700c and have 76 degree seat angles in the 52cm frame size. Great riding bikes and incredible value. Bikesport in Michigan sells them and have set up more than one for use with aero bars.

www.feltracing.com

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Frame/wheel size question 650c rant [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elite Bicycles is another manufacturer that makes smaller stock size Tri frames in 700c

TRUST...
Quote Reply