Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For those who use table sugar in their bottles - what do you do in the winter?
Quote | Reply
What do folks using the Dr Alex Harrison fueling mix of plain table sugar and salt do when the winter time comes and your hydration needs decrease?

I had a nice mix sorted for the hotter months when I would consume a bottle and a bit per hour with 50g of sugar and 500mg of sodium citrate in each bottle. Now that it's cooler and I don't need to drink as much, what should I try now? Should I up the sugar concentration to get the same number of calories from less liquid? Should I stick with my summer mix and supplement it with some solid food?

What's the ideal way to go about this?
Quote Reply
Re: For those who use table sugar in their bottles - what do you do in the winter? [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The good doctor has an APP that helps with this.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who use table sugar in their bottles - what do you do in the winter? [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soya sauce and maple syrup....it actually tastes great. Then hydration based on demand. Those little sushi packets of soya have 400mg of sodium.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely use more solid foods when it gets colder because I don't need or want to drink as much. Just remember though that you probably need a drink a little more than you might think you do. You're still sweating, you're losing water through exhaling, and you need water to metabolize those carbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can make a concentrate for one bottle. Easily done one the stovetop barely takes any mixing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to do one concentrated bottle of my total carbs/calories and sodium needs (less sodium than hot days). Then I have extra water bottles to supplement my thirst. Thirst may be much different than in the summer so that gives me flexibility. I don't change the plan very much.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who use table sugar in their bottles - what do you do in the winter? [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shot of vodka in each bottle so they don't freeze. Three shots for a CamelBak...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bdaghisallo wrote:
What do folks using the Dr Alex Harrison fueling mix of plain table sugar and salt do when the winter time comes and your hydration needs decrease?

I had a nice mix sorted for the hotter months when I would consume a bottle and a bit per hour with 50g of sugar and 500mg of sodium citrate in each bottle. Now that it's cooler and I don't need to drink as much, what should I try now? Should I up the sugar concentration to get the same number of calories from less liquid? Should I stick with my summer mix and supplement it with some solid food?

What's the ideal way to go about this?

The higher you push the concentration, the more you risk GI distress.
I can easily do ~400kcal / hour when I'm consuming 750ml+ per hour, but its hit or miss when I'm consuming 500ml or less per hour.
This is a place where Maurten gels seem to help supplement a less concentrated solution.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply