Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
As I stated before I underwent an EKG an echocardiogram and a stress test. The cardiologist apparently saw no reason for an MRI back to full workouts as normal all is well.

I do remember somebody mentioning that in another thread and I see from a search that it was you. You didn't mention that previously in this thread. Glad all is well!

Anyone else have such tests at the advice of a physician after testing positive for COVID-19?
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
10Tine wrote:
I officially had it starting April 25th and it lasted about 7 days. In my experience symptoms were similar to but not as severe as flu.
After resolution of symptoms I was humbled by how short of breath and tachycardic I was even during low-level workouts.

Thankfully, I gradually recovered over about 4-6 weeks and currently feel that I’m back to 100% of previous exercise tolerance. I believe that that key to recovery is taking it easy as you return to working out. Be patient and grateful for a healthy body.

Side note: I did a full 140.6 with a close friend in DIY fashion on the same day I became symptomatic from COVID. I started the race feeling fine and ended with shortness of breath, body aches and chills. Timing was coincidental. We had a number of Family/friend supporters throughout the race experience. I ran the marathon between two of my buddies. I bro-hugged my friend and high-fived several others. Not a single person from that group has come down with any symptoms of any kind.

While anecdotal, to me this provides some support to the notion that being outdoors is extremely beneficial in preventing virus transmission. It significantly lessens my worry that one would get COVID from participation in an outdoor event like a triathlon. Stay active my friends!

Maybe you are proving the "super spreader" theory that most people dont transmit the virus but there a few that are hyper spreaders. Does not make sense to me but maybe it is true.

The super shedder is common with all sort of viral and bacterial infections. Some individuals will shed as much as 10,000 times more pathogens than the average even though their symptoms are no worse. The same goes for how large a dose someone needs to become ill. Anyone who gets infected and is ultimately unscathed should consider themselves lucky.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the number of professional athletes that have tested positive, I am amazed that I haven't heard of any of them suffering any immediate or longer term effects on their performance. I would think it is just a numbers game before a big name has to pack in a season, but I don't think anyone has due to the virus yet?
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
As I stated before I underwent an EKG an echocardiogram and a stress test. The cardiologist apparently saw no reason for an MRI back to full workouts as normal all is well.

I do remember somebody mentioning that in another thread and I see from a search that it was you. You didn't mention that previously in this thread. Glad all is well!

Anyone else have such tests at the advice of a physician after testing positive for COVID-19?

Sorry they start to run together.
Brain fog. Not covid related!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would be one of the first things I discussed with my physician if I tested positive for COVID-19. I've read in several articles, including this NYT article from September, that you don't have to be seriously ill with COVID-19 to be diagnosed with myocarditis after testing positive for COVID-19.

I'm interested what others who've tested positive for COVID-19 have heard, or not heard, from their physicians regarding this risk.

Mark,

Despite all that has gone on - the millions who have tested positive, the hundreds of thousands who have died, I was just this past week in contact with the first person within a reasonably wide circle of friends and contacts that I have, who have positively had COVID-19. It's NOT one of those good stories. It really hammered him, and he will never be the same again. He's a top master's level road and track cyclist. Contracted it early on in mid March, when so much was unknown about it all. His wife contracted it to, but she had only minor symptoms.

Six months on, he has one lung that has been severally damaged and now limited functionality. Walks around the block, completely tire him out. He's thinking he will never ride again, at the level that he was at. He's been for a few very short 10 - 15 minute easy spins on his trainer in the house - exhausting. He was hospitalized for an extended period - his blood numbers were all over the place. That was a big battle he said - he was on constant IV's because his blood had be come so sludgy!

I know this passes through the vast majority of people with really nothing of consequence happening. The scary part is why does it kill some, and leave others like the gentleman I mention here - damaged for life?? This is NOT just the, "flu"!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,

How old is your friend? I wish the best for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not discuss with physician. I was aware there is some myocarditis risk but started back very slowly and was mindful of symptoms of myocarditis. Myocarditis Foundation Website info on covid-19:

Quote:
Symptoms to Watch for If You’ve Been Diagnosed with COVID-19
If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, it’s important to consult with your doctor immediately if you have shortness of breath, chest pain, or heart palpitations. These symptoms may indicate myocarditis as a complication of having the virus.

Risk Factors for Developing Coronavirus-Related Myocarditis
While commonly cited risk factors for severe COVID-19 illness include advanced age and underlying health conditions, there are no known risk factors for developing SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) myocarditis. Much more research is needed to understand both the overall risks for severe illness due to COVID-19 and the risks for specific conditions, such as myocarditis.
Myocarditis can affect individuals of any age, gender, race, and health condition. However, with myocarditis unrelated to SARS-CoV-2, we know that it affects young adult males at a higher rate.

Recommendations for Patients with COVID-19 and Coronavirus-Related Myocarditis
If you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and you have no symptoms, you should follow the CDC guideline to quarantine for 10 days. There’s no treatment necessary. If you are a competitive athlete, you should refrain from competitive sports during your quarantine period.

If your doctor suspects you have myocarditis with COVID-19, he or she may perform tests, including blood tests, physical exams, echocardiography and electrocardiograms to examine heart function, and tests to rule out other conditions. If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 and myocarditis, you will need to abstain from competitive sports for at least 3 months. At a minimum, after 3 months, you should have an exam and an exercise treadmill test.
If you have COVID-19 and heart conditions other than myocarditis, you should be treated by your healthcare provider for those specific heart issues.

In the course of your treatment, you may also be eligible to take part in a viral therapy or immunotherapy clinical trial that will help further the research into finding effective treatments.

Edited: to improve format of quoted material from Myocarditis Foundation.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Last edited by: H-: Oct 16, 20 15:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I get so distraught when I see people focusing solely on deaths (largely among older folks) as the outcome of interest as a reason behind easing restrictions. Given how little we know about the long term effects of Covid, knowing that there's the possibility of my being permanently limited (I'm 40, so I hopefully have a lot of cycling life left in me) is so scary. And even worse, the possibility of risking an entire generation of kids to having lifelong damage due to the virus just seems so irresponsible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old is your friend? I wish the best for him.

Not 100% sure, Mark

"Older" - I think he races in Masters 55 - 59

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the UK (so read that as you will re. Health care and who/,how funded drives different behaviours in doctors)

My wife had C19 for about 3 weeks (18 days before the fever went). Starting in April
No hospital treatment for it at the time.
But has seen a respiratory consultant since inc Xrays, CT scan of lungs and a few other things. As she's still got some of the 'long tail' effects of getting out of breath sometimes.
No heart scans or ECGs etc.
(No signs of lung scarring or blood clots either).

Similarly another tri club friend has had a much worse 'long tail' and still gets chest pains from it.

Off topic a bit, but interestingly she found cold water swimming has been helping ! In fact she was interviewed and a piece put on the BBC earlier this week about it.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:
rmba wrote:
No direct experiences but have read that many have reduced lung capacity for some time.

You can get a finger pulse oximeter online pretty cheaply to assess your body's oxygen carrying capacity.

Pulse oximetry is used for COVID19 cases in hospitals and has been shown to be a good measure of both progression of illness (goes low...sometimes crazy low to 70's or less) and recovery (increases again towards ~98).

I wonder how the pulse oximetry test shows in someone that has a much above average VO2 max and aerobic cardiovascular system from training for triathlon? I've been curious about this.

I somewhat fit that description, but definitely not MUCH above average VO2 max. I have been right around the 10 hour mark for a full distance the last couple of years and typically run every day. Just context, certainly not brag-worthy around here. I took a pulse ox with me today to try and jog/walk the dogs. I jogged the first mile to give myself credit for a 'daily run' and threw the reader on. It was hovering around 86-88% until climbing back up to high 90's after standing around a bit. That initial 86% was after standing around a little to get the thing to take a reading. 86% after an 11 minute mile. We walked about 20 minutes and then I jogged a couple of blocks to warm back up a little. Mid 80% range again. Obviously n=1 on a low end pulse ox probably not made for activity, but I thought it was interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Platets of 5. That would get my attention.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my teachers in med school got SARs In 2003-2004. He was I think in mid 40s at the time. Turned him permanently into a guy with 70 year old lungs. Short of breath going up a flight of stairs. Very sad I really liked that guy. When he was teaching us he was in mid 30s I think.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case anyone is interested....

Diagnosis was 1st week of September (mentioned above).

Lasting effects so far:
- Fatigue
- Often smell smoke (this is common, smells are impacted for a lot of people)
- Seem to be sick often

The last one i'm not sure how to explain. I started feeling pretty good 2nd week of October but then woke up with a sore throat and noticed my son also had a sore throat. Felt sick (like a common cold) for about a week, then felt better, then woke up with a sore throat, then felt better, then woke up feeling lousy. Can't seem to shake being sick for more than a few days. i'm also chilled more than usual

The fatigue isn't black and white either. I'm able to work 9 hours a day. When i have time to jog i can with no problem but i tend to be extra fatigued the following day. I went swimming a few days ago at the pool for the first time since March though and felt great. I never had any breathing problems (thank goodness) and I dont seem to have any issues with short 5~8km runs. i haven't tried anything longer yet.

QUESTION
I have a doctors appointment in two weeks. Any suggestions on what sort of tests i should ask for?

C

C
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My smell has come back however I don't know how to explain it but a lot of smells run together not necessarily the smell of smoke but things just smell generally burnt almost like everything smells a little bit like burnt coffee
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will just leave these here. I read a ton of articles about Covid and hope these will help some of you.

How much virus you inhale matters, so wear a mask all the time!! If you will be less sick, if your body takes less virus.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/01/health/viral-dose-coronavirus-severity/index.html

Make sure your body has enough Vitamin D
https://www.endocrine.org/news-and-advocacy/news-room/2020/study-finds-over-80-percent-of-covid19-patients-have-vitamin-d-deficiency

If your blood type is A or AB, be extra careful.
https://www.hematology.org/...od-type-and-covid-19

Be safe out there!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:

QUESTION
I have a doctors appointment in two weeks. Any suggestions on what sort of tests i should ask for?

See my response earlier in the thread regarding what cardio tests any athlete diagnosed with C19 at the university where I work needs to receive before getting the OK to compete again. I'd be interested to know what cardio-related tests your doctor suggests you get. Continued healing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To blueQuintana and Fishbum...

I've had that smoky smell in my nose for a couple of months. I never thought much about it and chalked it up to some sinus issue even though I have never experienced it ever before. I have tested negative for COVID 3x (2x molecular PCR, 1x rapid antigen) but that was just to diagnose an active infection when it's certainly possible I had it long before the tests. I should get an antibody test.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 2, 20 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB test may (probably will) come back negative, but I wouldn't read much into the result, especially if your symptoms felt on the mild side or you were asymptomatic outside of the phantosmia you've been experiencing. Doesn't hurt to get tested.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
To blueQuintana and Fishbum...

I've had that smoky smell in my nose for a couple of months. I never thought much about it and chalked it up to some sinus issue even though I have never experienced it ever before. I have tested negative for COVID 3x (2x molecular PCR, 1x rapid antigen) but that was just to diagnose an active infection when it's certainly possible I had it long before the tests. I should get an antibody test.

Just an FYI, there have been a ton of controlled burns in NoFL and a decent amount of burning around Nocatee to clear land in the last couple of months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:
In case anyone is interested....
The last one i'm not sure how to explain. I started feeling pretty good 2nd week of October but then woke up with a sore throat and noticed my son also had a sore throat. Felt sick (like a common cold) for about a week, then felt better, then woke up with a sore throat, then felt better, then woke up feeling lousy. Can't seem to shake being sick for more than a few days. i'm also chilled more than usual

The fatigue isn't black and white either. I'm able to work 9 hours a day. When i have time to jog i can with no problem but i tend to be extra fatigued the following day. I went swimming a few days ago at the pool for the first time since March though and felt great. I never had any breathing problems (thank goodness) and I dont seem to have any issues with short 5~8km runs. i haven't tried anything longer yet.

I've been at this for a bit longer, got sick late March. What you're describing is symptom relapse and post-exertional malaise. It's looking more and more like covid triggers an auto-immune response of sorts in some people, so given the fact that you are experiencing these after-effects, go easy on the exercise. I've heard some people talk about getting ANA tests, but that's not anything I've pursued. Your body needs rest and recovery during this post-viral phase, and you need to focus on not over-taxing it.

That said, I've kept some activity going most of the time, albeit much lower volume and intensity, with a couple extended breaks at points. General advice to avoid the PEM that you've been experiencing:

- Don't do any activity unless you are feeling fully rested and recovered. If in doubt, rest. Like today for instance, I'd hoped to swim, but I feel tired -- so I'm skipping the workout and relaxing all day.
- Recumbent exercise is better (I seem to be okay with light efforts on the bike trainer limited to 30 minutes) if I avoid sitting upright. Light swimming. One doctor suggested rowing. I find vertical exercise to be toughest on the body -- i.e., running -- feels fine at the time, takes a huge toll later in the day and in subsequent days. Hence, I haven't been running for several months now. You will have to figure out what your body can handle, because everyone is different. Generally, you want to stay well under that level, because right now is not the time for you to push your body.
- Hydration is very important at all times, take your water with electrolytes for better absorption by your body (Nuun sport, etc.)
- Wear an hrm and keep your heart rate under 60% of your max for the activity (see link below). I find this to be very useful.
- Better to keep any activity on the shorter side of duration. Rather than pushing it out longer, split it into two or three sessions during the day.. 3 15-minute walks with several hours of recovery between each is less taxing than 1 45 minute walk, for instance. This allows your body to rebuild energy at the cellular level.
- Heat takes a much heavier toll, so watch the temps.

Finding a doctor who has good experience with post-viral fatigue and post-covid is pretty hit and miss (more miss, but that should change with time). It's good you aren't experiencing lung issues, be grateful for that. Watch for heart palpitations. I'll include some of links you might find helpful. Best of luck with your recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJR_zhQUu70

https://meassociation.org.uk/...S-September-2020.pdf

https://solvecfs.org/...l-malaise-in-me-cfs/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mild symptoms in March...just my chest felt congested.

Kept going at it at usual training load, but couldn't shake the chest congestion.

July, solid crash:

Breathing problems, chest pain, shock-like symptoms. ER and hospital stay.

Myocarditis and autoimmune response storm. Full on. Oxygen, antivirals. Flat on back for 2+ weeks.

Not recommended.

In hindsight: What the F was I thinking I was training for?
Last edited by: windschatten: Nov 3, 20 19:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early September, my wife got tested positive, two days prior to giving birth (c-section) to our first child. Next day, we both test positive and literally only the minute we roll up to the hospital parking, we get the message that "father cannot participate in the birth - has to go home in isolation" (which I of course understand, but your head is somewhere else at that moment, trust me)

Massive bummer and 5 hours just waiting (felt like 5 days) for news. All fine, kiddo and mummy are good and amazing, our little boy did not have Covid19.

Mum lost her sense of smell, but no symptoms at all. I was a bit extra fatigued on stairs etc (I literally also ran 18K the same morning she was tested positive), but zero symptoms initially.
I measured blood oxygen with a Garmin wrist unit (Fenix 6) and never went under 96%. Measured temperature (36 celcius all the way through), blood pressure daily (normal) and resting heart rate daily (normal)

We both tested negative around 3 weeks later (no training for neither of us, after reading this), and I slowly picked up cycling and running. I´d say watts and pace are as expected after a month off. But especially on the run, I now and then (on a Garming Fenix 6 wrist HR) see weird spikes on HR, like 170-175 BPM running 4:40 min/km, where I´d normally be at 150.
Did some intervals around 3:50-4:00 yesterday and HR was pretty steady and normal.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a big name, but one of our alumnae was selected for the GB 8 for the Olympics and is suffering badly after her case in March, couple of the American women’s rowing squad struggled for months.

From those I know who have had a COVID positive, long COVID seems the norm. Only two aren’t suffering after effects, and they only had loss of taste as a symptom.
Quote Reply
Re: For those who had COVID-19 [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch those HR spikes -- most likely supraventricular tachycardia, but a holter monitor could confirm that. I get these occasionally now on the trainer, where I'll see the heart rate suddenly take off. Caffeine seems to come into play (more than 1 cup of coffee beforehand and I'm susceptible to this now), and I chalk them up to dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system. I can feel the adrenaline surge kick in during the moments before. I just back way off to minimal resistance and focus on breathing, and the hr drops back down fairly soon after that usually.

Anyone else out there post-covid experiencing postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS)? Anybody being told that it's correlated to a junctional rhythm?
Quote Reply

Prev Next