Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I'd bet that for most men on the bubble for KQ between 35-44 are at between 4-4.5 watts/kg and a 18-18:30 5k. But it is hard to argue with Coggan. He has seen far more data then I have.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I had an outlier school but middle of the road JV was 19-20 on a XC course. Which is 18's-19's on the road. The fastest guys on a cross country course went 15-16. All of these times were at altitude. Slowest kids were 25's.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could be correct. I have just gotten to know a few guys who thought they were average even after years of training, but when really pushed year round at an intense level they started dropping people right and left. They thought they were maxed out at 22 minute 5ks or at 3.5 watt/kg. They started training with quality and quantity over a period of time and they went over 4 watts/kg and under 20 5k.

Like I said I am not discounting the contribution of genetic ability, but most people don't plumb the depths of their potential whatever those depths may be.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
Maybe I had an outlier school but middle of the road JV was 19-20 on a XC course. Which is 18's-19's on the road. The fastest guys on a cross country course went 15-16. All of these times were at altitude. Slowest kids were 25's.

For giggles, I looked up the NY State Cross Country Championships for 2013.

The fastest guy in the entire state went 15:06. The boy who won the Class B was 15:16. C and D runners were in the 15:40s. So, what I hear you saying is that the fast guys on your team were as good as or better than the top runners in the entire state of NY.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
vikingmd wrote:

For giggles, I looked up the NY State Cross Country Championships for 2013.

The fastest guy in the entire state went 15:06. The boy who won the Class B was 15:16. C and D runners were in the 15:40s. So, what I hear you saying is that the fast guys on your team were as good as or better than the top runners in the entire state of NY.

Fastest guy on my team won state and top 3 guys on my team went to Foot Locker so yes they were as fast.

Your link demonstrates something else. 36 guys went sub 16 and 92 guys went sub 17. That demonstrates the depth of ability in the field.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

You might think all those MOPer M30-40 guys in the local HIM triathlons are just terrible at training, but it's not true. I've seen quite a few of them now with coaches, regular attendance at the weekly speedwork sessions where they run all-out, and keep solid logs of their 12+hr per week training. These guys still run 23+ minute open 5ks, and many (most) of them will NEVER run 18:xx 5ks, even with professional volume, even if some of them will be able to with that kind of training.

I get some of the swim and bike estimates, but some of the run ones have me scratching my head.

I don't mean to call you out by quoting you, this just happened to cover me.

I ran under 200miles all 2013 which included 2 70.3s.. I'm 33, hate running, 209lbs as of this morning and can do a sub 23min stand alone 5k if uncared to try. I've done a 23.xx 5k as part of a personal 10k as well as a few times after a 2+ mile swim.

It is really hard for me to imagine that someone doing 30mpw, is my age, and 180lbs would struggle to beat that. I mean I also personally know I'll never do a 16min 5k (just don't care enough about running to put that effort in) but I also saw no reason I couldn't get down to an 18.xx at 180lbs and even a halfassed attempt at getting some miles in.

I can do a 6:30 500yards, probably meter if I tried don't feel like estimating.
I don't know my actual w/kg since I have no real power source. I don't see why once down to 180 I won't be over 3.75.

Granted maybe I'm not thinking about the majority in the same way, I took this to mean the limits of the majority of people who put in the effort not the limits of the genrsl majority of people.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The interesting thing to me, that relates back to the original post: a lot of folks are calling out one event or another as being out of whack. I guess, by that averaging, then the assertion is mostly correct?

As another example, I can get the run & bike, but 6:30 for a 500 is a pipe dream for me.

So if the OP has the experience to have spent enough time with enough athletes, then why not use them as targets?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am with you here. I am with a local Tri group and one person can run 18ish 5k. I think sub 20 minute 5k is borderline for the OP's 80% of endurance athlete comment. In my small world I would say this is not the case. FYI, great topic! I have often wondered how I could stack up.

On another note, what is the average heart beat for a (say 30 year old) sub 18 minute 5k? I know it varies drastically from person to person, but you can extract median from any group of numbers. I often wonder if I push myself a little bit harder, say 190 bmp, would I have a stroke or just really be pushing my limits. I know it is science and subjective art forms at work, but hey, it keeps me up at night.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [Trentw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My average heart rate for a mid 36 10k averaged 174 bpm with a max of 182 at the age of 41.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
My average heart rate for a mid 36 10k averaged 174 bpm with a max of 182 at the age of 41.

What is your all-out max HR??? I'm guessing not 182. Also, JOOC, what's your resting HR when lying in bed in the am???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I have seen much higher than 185-187 and my resting HR is about 45-48 bpm.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

You might think all those MOPer M30-40 guys in the local HIM triathlons are just terrible at training, but it's not true. I've seen quite a few of them now with coaches, regular attendance at the weekly speedwork sessions where they run all-out, and keep solid logs of their 12+hr per week training. These guys still run 23+ minute open 5ks, and many (most) of them will NEVER run 18:xx 5ks, even with professional volume, even if some of them will be able to with that kind of training.

I get some of the swim and bike estimates, but some of the run ones have me scratching my head.

I don't mean to call you out by quoting you, this just happened to cover me.

I ran under 200miles all 2013 which included 2 70.3s.. I'm 33, hate running, 209lbs as of this morning and can do a sub 23min stand alone 5k if uncared to try. I've done a 23.xx 5k as part of a personal 10k as well as a few times after a 2+ mile swim.

It is really hard for me to imagine that someone doing 30mpw, is my age, and 180lbs would struggle to beat that. I mean I also personally know I'll never do a 16min 5k (just don't care enough about running to put that effort in) but I also saw no reason I couldn't get down to an 18.xx at 180lbs and even a halfassed attempt at getting some miles in.

I can do a 6:30 500yards, probably meter if I tried don't feel like estimating.
I don't know my actual w/kg since I have no real power source. I don't see why once down to 180 I won't be over 3.75.

Granted maybe I'm not thinking about the majority in the same way, I took this to mean the limits of the majority of people who put in the effort not the limits of the genrsl majority of people.

Your opinions merely reflect your self-biased view of the world. YOUR view of it given your isolated results are essentially meaningless to draw conclusions from.

Go to any triclub, just as I have, and take a look at who's doing what and how fast. There will be more than a handful of serious triathletes, complete with hired coaches writing their workouts, who are very dedicated to training, yet are nowhere near those 'easy' times you suggest. And yes, in the M30-40 division where there's no physical limiter otherwise.

There are TWO halves of the bell curve for genetics for sports. It's easy and erroneous to think everyone can do what you can do when you're in the upper part of the curve. I made the same mistake with music - for nearly 12 years, I mistakenly assumed everyone around me could do what I was doing in violin, and just wasn't practicing enough. Then I hit the level of what would be considered a competent professional violinist in my later youth and saw how insanely hard some of my peers were working - for markedly less results. This was at a top music conservatory as well, so no slacking there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
I don't think I have seen much higher than 185-187 and my resting HR is about 45-48 bpm.

Have you done an all-out sprint at end of say a hard 2-mi run to see where you come out??? And I mean all, all-out to where you are absolutely gasping for breath at end. Also, you need to be fairly rested to be able to truly hit your "top end". Sorry, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir with you, but just in case:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'd bet that for most men on the bubble for KQ between 35-44 are at between 4-4.5 watts/kg

I'l take that bet, how much do you want to lose?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Your opinions merely reflect your self-biased view of the world. YOUR view of it given your isolated results are essentially meaningless to draw conclusions from.

Go to any triclub, just as I have, and take a look at who's doing what and how fast. There will be more than a handful of serious triathletes, complete with hired coaches writing their workouts, who are very dedicated to training, yet are nowhere near those 'easy' times you suggest. And yes, in the M30-40 division where there's no physical limiter otherwise.

There are TWO halves of the bell curve for genetics for sports. It's easy and erroneous to think everyone can do what you can do when you're in the upper part of the curve. I made the same mistake with music - for nearly 12 years, I mistakenly assumed everyone around me could do what I was doing in violin, and just wasn't practicing enough. Then I hit the level of what would be considered a competent professional violinist in my later youth and saw how insanely hard some of my peers were working - for markedly less results. This was at a top music conservatory as well, so no slacking there.

I didn't say those targets were easy, I said I agree that they are probably limits, you know what this thread is about, as in anything but easy.

If a 210lbs guy who never runs can do a 23min 5k I think it is kind of ludicrous to assume that is what people should consider a limit. Especially when I easily lose 30-40 places on the run usually.

Granted I get that I'm a good swimmer and cyclist, which is why I simply stated I agreed with the proposed limits there as I don't think I'll blow past them. I have no gift for running at all, so I find it hard to believe someone 30lbs lighter than me running 30miles a week working with a coach would be limited to a 23min 5k.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't want to bet a coach who has far more data than I but I'd be curious what your experience has been with athletes in the last 3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
vikingmd wrote:

Have you done an all-out sprint at end of say a hard 2-mi run to see where you come out??? And I mean all, all-out to where you are absolutely gasping for breath at end. Also, you need to be fairly rested to be able to truly hit your "top end". Sorry, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir with you, but just in case:)

Not any time recently so it could be higher but not a lot higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
vikingmd wrote:

Not any time recently so it could be higher but not a lot higher.

Ya, that's what I was thinking, maybe 190 to 192-ish.

Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In endurance sports there really is no substitute for volume.

I agree with Brian.

. . and when you are lucky enough to do that bigger volume training at a key developmental time in your life - ages 15 to 25, the impact of that volume I am guessing is more substantial and will stay with you longer. Ounce you get older my sense is you get further and further away mentally from what is hard and difficult and also other things in your life start to take a priority - career, family etc . . It's a big ask for say a 32 year old man, to start to the build up to 800+ hours a year of training. It's NOT that it can't be done, it's that it will take a number of years to get there and be highly disruptive to his life and the lives of those around him.

There are also issues of durability and efficiency - that are more easily established if you start younger. If you see a runner, swimmer, or cyclist who trained a lot and did "well", younger ( in that 15 - 25 age range), even when they are older when you see them swimming, cycling or running, and you watch them move, you can tell almost right away there is something different about the way they move vs the 35 year-old just starting out!

This is why many "older" athletes who are new to an endurance sport are somewhat incredulous about it all - they have some challenges that are not at first obvious, compared to an athlete who started younger and already has that huge base and volume of fitness established.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 17, 14 6:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
I'd bet that for most men on the bubble for KQ between 35-44 are at between 4-4.5 watts/kg

No kidding. It is a bad estimate but an FTP of 4.0 w/kg is going to put you well under 58:00 in an Oly triathlon (flattish, accuritishly measured). In other words - basically 1/1000 age grouper.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard in the past (sorry can't find citation) that the average male cyclist is capable of an FTP of 250 watts, and I think this seems reasonable. Without training most people would work hard to hold over 150 (mostly due to having a hard time riding for an hour straight) and they rapidly progress over 200, but 250 is a ceiling for many. Among competitive people you have a slice of the population who have self selected for their innate ability, so you tend to hear of averages closer to the 275-325 area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please do tell a bubble qualifier then?

My guess would be 17 low 5K fitness and 4.25 w/kg

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again I'm no coach and have only been in the multi-sport scene for about 3 years.

My background is as follows. D3 college runner. 5K PR about 16 flat so nothing outstanding. I'm 36 so have been around endurance sports a long time.

I started biking (zero background) 3 years ago. I started swimming the same time (zero background, but I knew how to swim to survive).

My 6:30 SCY guess was I feel the most uneducated. I swam my ass off (for me) for about a year and got down to about 7 flat for 500scy. That was many 10K weeks which while biking and running was a real bugger. So I haven't yet come near the 6:30 mark, but may have the ability? I would probably consider myself a bubble type Kona qualifier.

Due to back injury my volume will likely never be what it needs to be to put in the work ever again.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

No kidding. It is a bad estimate but an FTP of 4.0 w/kg is going to put you well under 58:00 in an Oly triathlon (flattish, accuritishly measured). In other words - basically 1/1000 age grouper.

You may be underestimating what people have to do to qualify. I'll give my personal experience and numbers from last year. I am a bubble qualifier in M40-44. My FTP last year was 4.315 watts/kg. My biking was top 20 in my AG by holding 75% of my FTP. Therefore, there were 19 guys that could ride faster than me. I was fortunate enough that I had a swim/run combo that put me in front of 12 of them at the end of the day. I will also assure you that while I may not be the most aero I am by no means a slouch.

There are some really strong guys out there.
Quote Reply
Re: For the majority, when does engine size become the limiter? [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgran wrote:
I have heard in the past (sorry can't find citation) that the average male cyclist is capable of an FTP of 250 watts, and I think this seems reasonable. Without training most people would work hard to hold over 150 (mostly due to having a hard time riding for an hour straight) and they rapidly progress over 200, but 250 is a ceiling for many. Among competitive people you have a slice of the population who have self selected for their innate ability, so you tend to hear of averages closer to the 275-325 area.

As much as I'd hate to admit it, 250 is prob close to my ceiling. I'm about 68kg and my current FTP is probably close to 210, which puts me at close to 3w/kg. At 250w, I'd be pushing 3.6w/kg, which would net low 5 hour IM bike splits.

That 210 is after a late October iron distance race and several months of FTP work (not a lot of hours, but still hard workouts)...

4w/kg seems unrealistic if I ever want to keep up running and swimming.

That's just me, though...I'm guessing a lot of AG triathletes are in the same boat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next