Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
For how long would you expect a company to provide service/repairs for a powermeter?
Quote | Reply
When you purchase a new powermeter, how long would you expect the company to offer servicing for that powermeter before telling you that it needs to be thrown out rather than serviced? Would you be expecting to be told to throw it away if it develops a fault beyond the warranty period? Beyond 3 years? Beyond years? Lifetime? What would you consider reasonable?

We're not talking about a cheap powermeter - say one of the big brands charging $800USD type price.

(Have edited thread title to better reflect the question)
Last edited by: rmt: May 20, 20 18:31
Quote Reply
Re: What lifespan do you expect from a powermeter? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 years is the first number that popped into my head. But I also have a functional Quarq Elsa I bought used (unknown how old exactly it is but I've had it for almost 4 years and it still works fine last time I rode the bike that is on a few weeks ago). Have a Power2Max Type S when they were clearing them out and have had that for just under 3 years which is working fine still so far as a workhorse on my trainer nearly 5x a week this year.
Last edited by: loxx0050: May 20, 20 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough to answer, but I think the rule of thumb would be to expect service for the current and past "generation," but not 2 generations old.

For example, in Quarq-land, I'd expect service for the current generation (DZero/AXS Dub), and the prior generation (Elsa/Riken/Red), but not Quarq's first generation before that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not really answering the question that was asked in your post, but I've had my PowerTap Elite+ for 10 years, Never serviced, never had a problem with it. Just replacing batteries as needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ditto a combined version of two above comments... I would only expect support for a current version and maybe the immediate prior version. And, 5-6 years is probably reasonable to expect. Powermeters are a technology product, and technology expires fast. Further, they are mostly sold by smaller companies, and those companies would be challenged to maintain a long-term supply of parts and employees trained to service them.

My home computer is a 7 year old Dell all-in-one. It was top of the line in its day and cost way more than any powermeter on the market. But, if a unique part failed, I would have no pretense that Dell would service it. It is obsolete and destined for the bin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a new, wired, SRM in 2005 and used it until I bought a friend's wireless SRM in 2013 for an upgrade. I had no issues with them supporting it for the duration other than the enormous pain of sending it back.

In January of this year I tried to upgrade the 2013 wireless to rechargeable but it was not 'upgradeable' so I ended up replacing it with new rechargeable.

So my expectation would be that, for that price tag, I get 10 years of support.
Last edited by: SusanH: May 20, 20 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: What lifespan do you expect from a powermeter? [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
I'm not really answering the question that was asked in your post, but I've had my PowerTap Elite+ for 10 years, Never serviced, never had a problem with it. Just replacing batteries as needed.

I have a G2 Powertap Elite+ that I bought three years ago third-hand for $100 (full wheel set). It is still performing flawlessly. I get about a year out of a pair of batteries. I bought a spare battery holder, as that's supposedly a common failure mode, and a spare battery compartment cover, but I haven't had to use either.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's fair to say from the responses that you wouldn't be best impressed if 3 1/2 years after purchasing a power meter, it failed, and upon contacting the manufacturer in an attempt to get it serviced you were told that it was broken and your only option was to buy a new one? Not that it's relevant really, but the powermeter in question has been pretty much unused for 2 of those years as I have been almost exclusively mountain biking.
Quote Reply
Re: What lifespan do you expect from a powermeter? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tough to answer, but I think the rule of thumb would be to expect service for the current and past "generation," but not 2 generations old.

For example, in Quarq-land, I'd expect service for the current generation (DZero/AXS Dub), and the prior generation (Elsa/Riken/Red), but not Quarq's first generation before that.

FYI they were still very helpful last year with my 2012 s975 quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, it’s not only time but also (or more importantly?) frequency of use. If I spend 800 on something and it’s not useable after a few years of infrequent use (for reason outside of my own failure to maintain it) i would be disappointed. However, For a tool I use regularly such as a PM for training and racing, say 3-5 rides a week, travel, swapping between race and trainer that adds up so I’m more flexible in lifespan (though again assuming I take care of it).

I got over 5 years out of my first stages (L only) and my second (L/R) is into two years without issue.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on year 12 for my quarq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it a product they currently sell? If not, how many generations old?

Did they attempt to diagnose it through the conversation, or was the “its broken” response just a blanket reply?

How broken is it? Is the cost of repair close to the price of a current unit?
Quote Reply
Re: What lifespan do you expect from a powermeter? [tritontoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Riken just turned 9 and going strong. I believe the op is not asking how long they last, but how long you can expect support, and I'm pretty sure when mine needs help Quarq won't be interested.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: What lifespan do you expect from a powermeter? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
My Riken just turned 9 and going strong. I believe the op is not asking how long they last, but how long you can expect support, and I'm pretty sure when mine needs help Quarq won't be interested.
See above ;-) With quarq you will be pleasantly surprised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone got data on the Pioneer Crank based PM life?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What lifespan do you expect from a powermeter? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's slightly complicated, but basically it's one generation old. Purchased brand new 3 1/2 years ago, but was replaced under warranty after 6 months. It was well used for around a year (so 6 months on the replacement - probably 6 rides per week) but has been used probably 15 times in the following 2 1/2 years

They asked questions to establish whether it was a simple software upgrade that needed to happen, or whether it was a more fundamental issue, and when it was discovered that there was a definite fault they suggested the only option was for me to buy a new powermeter, with no offer of reduced cost or service (I was expecting to pay a few hundred $ for the power meter to be serviced).
Last edited by: rmt: May 20, 20 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I expect it to last forever, maybe longer. If it's an SRM, I expect to need a new battery after 5-10 years (which is a pretty true fact for the old non-rechargeable unis).
Quote Reply
Re: For how long would you expect a company to provide service/repairs for a powermeter? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well- when you buy a car, most legally support parts for 10 years. When you buy a Porsche, they support parts almost indefinitely. So, a big brand I would expect to have more pride as Porsche does.

I think when they stop supporting, after 7 years let’s say- they should offer trade in value for the old part to upgrade to the latest greatest.
Quote Reply
Re: For how long would you expect a company to provide service/repairs for a powermeter? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite a different story in this thread...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care for the 'generation' model of support duration. A big sports electronics company seems to release a new device with a few upgrades every 17.5 hours. Ok, kidding, but maybe once per year or so. A 2.5 y/o sports electronics device, maybe $600 new, unsupported? No, that seems wrong. I think that price might be a more useful index. Something between $100-$200 of original purchase price per year. Buy a $900 device? $900/$150 = 6 years of support. Buy a $150 device? Yeah, that's the one year warranty only.
Quote Reply
Re: What lifespan do you expect from a powermeter? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
See above ;-) With quarq you will be pleasantly surprised.

I agree their support is excellent. Though unfortunately needed (for me). I went through 5-6 Quarqs in 5-6 years. I now have 2 Power2Maxes that have been rock solid for 3 years.
Quote Reply
Re: What lifespan do you expect from a powermeter? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must admit, that's how I see it too. Level of support should be pretty closely correlated with the cost of the item. I think your $150 per year is fair. The powermeter in question wasn't bought in the States, but based on the current exchange rate was ~$1200 USD at the time (I guessed the $900 earlier). The next generation power meter would be around $750 USD now as they have come down in price, but currently I'm in a position where I paid $1200 for 3 1/2 years ownership. Even though I feel it is a manufacturing fault since the power meter has been looked after and never crashed, I was expecting (and quite happy) to pay around $300 USD for a service/refurb unit etc, but being expected to fork out the entire cost of a new one seems pretty poor form to me.
Quote Reply
Re: For how long would you expect a company to provide service/repairs for a powermeter? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1-2 years warranty. Like the iPhone or other boutique electronics.

That said, like others, I'm pretty sure my quarq riken with over 100k miles will outlast quarq (the company).
Quote Reply
Re: For how long would you expect a company to provide service/repairs for a powermeter? [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm take that point but I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. With an iPhone you can still get it serviced quite easily 5 years after you have bought it, maybe not by the manufacturer, but you can at least get it fixed if it breaks. I'm happy to pay anyone to fix my powermeter, I just don't have that option.
Last edited by: rmt: May 21, 20 0:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the number of generations is especially relevant. If the company revises their products very frequently it shouldn't obviate a duty to support product sold a year or two previously. I think time is really the only relevant metric here and I reckon at least 5 years is good practice. If old stock is being sold at a discount with a clear indication that it will not be supported long term, that's a little different.
Last edited by: Ai_1: May 21, 20 1:16
Quote Reply

Prev Next