Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foot pain, no fracture, high arch - Help please!
Quote | Reply
Hello!

My background: 38, M. I've been doing triathlons for a couple of years and before that I was a runner. The only major injury I had was an it-band syndrome (left leg) after my first and only marathon cycle (+8 years ago), and a bit of plantar fasciitis more recently (left foot).

Since November 22, I've been averaging 25/30mi per week (running), and I focused on consistency more than anything. I didn't do ANY intensity work during this time. Beginning of March, I started my training for some 70.3 races I have scheduled. Everything was going well until my first track day: 20x 1min at 7min/mi but I was feeling good and ended up doing at 6:00/6:10min/mi. Too much too soon? 2/3 into the workout, I felt some discomfort on the top of my foot (left side, once again), but nothing concerning. I thought my shoes laces were too tight. I was able to finish the workout, and the pain went away that evening. Next day, pain free, I did a 4mi run but the pain came back. A bit stronger.. so I cut the run short. Took 2/3 days off, tried again and the pain would always come back. At that point, I knew there was something wrong with my foot so I pretty much stopped running, but kept swimming and cycling. I did a mile or two here and there but very easy to see if it got better. I didn't.

I friend of mine put me in contact with an orthopedic doc specialized in sports medicine (and a runner). I did an MIR and fortunately there was no sign of fracture. Tendons and ligaments all seem to be preserved. The only thing that came up was some inflammation in the ligaments right where the pain was coming from (see photo below). I was prescribed some anti-inflammatory and physiotherapy (which I haven't done yet) and I was told I could run again as long as the pain didn't get worse. The doc did mention that I have very high arches and that I should keep an eye on that and maybe get some custom insoles, but that would be the last resort.

I took the anti-inflammation and a few easy short runs after the appointment, all pain free! But the first time I ran continuously 3mi easy, the pain came back. But as usual, it goes again very quickly too. So that's my life now.

I reached out to a friend of mine who is also an orthopedic (but not in sports). After looking at a photo of the side of my foot (see below), he also mentioned I have very high arches. He went on to assume I have supination (that can be confirmed by looking at how my shoes wear out) and that I should use running shoes with good support, otherwise I would put a lot of pressure on the arches, which could cause the inflammation and other injuries. Just like the other doc, he said I should keep taking an anti-inflammatory and running but I should always use shoes with support from now on.

Does this make sense? Should I look into shoes with more support and/or insole for high arches?

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Foot pain, no fracture, high arch - Help please! [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the T-N joint. Get a cortisone injection directly into the joint.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot pain, no fracture, high arch - Help please! [BigChainRing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigChainRing wrote:
Looks like the T-N joint. Get a cortisone injection directly into the joint.

Interesting suggestion.. My friend doctor told me I should probably get something stronger than Advil/Aleve.. I will look into that. Thanks.
Quote Reply