Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foot numbness
Quote | Reply
I'm having problems with foot numbness (in the toes) in my new shoes. What are the common causes for this? My right foot is a little bigger than the left, but it is actually the left foot that is getting numb. One thing I notice is that I feel the pressure in different spots on my left and right feet. My left foot feels like I am applying the pressure farther back, and on the outside of the foot, a few centimeters below my pinky toe. Could this be causing the numbness, and if so, what can I do to fix the problem?

Any other suggestions?

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Last edited by: jackattack: May 7, 04 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Foot numbness [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to get a lot of numbness in my toes because I kept my shoes very tight. I also pedal with my toes down, so I was pushing my feet toward the front of my shoes. I loosened my shoes and flattened my feet while pedaling and I don't have the numbness any more.

Kirby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running shoes or cycling shoes?

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Foot numbness [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry, they are my cycling shoes.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem as well with new shoes until I double checked the position of my cleats- I had it professionally done at a fitting- and it turned out they were way too far back!! The way they explained it to me is the the ball of your foot needs to be central to the pedal for maximim comfort as well as power. Now I have little to no trouble with them even on long rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Foot numbness [trigirl621] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my cleats placed where they are using this thing called a R.A.D fitting at a local bikeshop. I don't know if that's the same thing you had done or not. I'm considering getting it checked again though. Maybe I need a LeWedge or two to move the pressure from one side of the foot?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check your cleat alignment. If one shoe is twisted that could cause your symptoms.

Other than the size of your feet (not that unusual) is there anything abnormal about your feet, esp. right compared to left. eg high arches.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Foot numbness [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, it feels like the left shoe is twisted. I use Look pedals, and the red cleats, so I have some float. On the right side, while I'm pedaling I can float my foot left or right an equal amount. On the left side I can only float to the right, essentially it is at it's limit on the left. I had the same type of cleat fitting done on my last pair of shoes (they were bigger, and I never experienced any numbness) and noticed the same thing, so I experimented and changed my cleat position myself. I wasn't real happy with the way that felt however, as it felt as though I had moved the cleat backwards. Not wanting to muck with it too much, I left it alone. When I got my new pair of shoes I had the same technique used (R.A.D.) to place the cleat and it put it right back to where it was before on my old shoes after the last fitting. So, I figured since it was repeatable, it was in the right spot.

I hope that's not too confusing. So, basically, I think my foot is twisted. I'm not sure if I have any feet problems. I have had a heck of a time with shin splints while running, which seem to be a bit worse in the left leg. Maybe there's a connection.

Quote Reply