Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flying with a wheelset.
Quote | Reply
I have a great bike at my daughter’s home in California where I travel to frequently. The bike has very good wheels although I have better at home in Illinois where I live. I don’t want to get another set of wheels but I could check a case for free as a second bag on Southwest. While I know that they could get damaged I just want to greatly reduce the chances. Using a cardboard box would get pretty beat up since I will probably travel to California at least another 4 to 6 times this year.

I’m looking at this but all the reviews seem like storage on the house or transporting in the car. Has anyone successfully used this or a better option?

https://sciconsports.com/us_en/padde...hoCzAcQAvD_BwE
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a wheelset. [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not cheap, but there are a few hard case options out there. Though unless you found a real good deal on eBay or something, I'd just buy a second set of wheels. If you're traveling frequently, the hassle of waiting by the oversize baggage drop isn't something I'd enjoy a ton.

Edit: Oh, it has very good wheels. Just use them! Unless you're racing or something.

Last edited by: trail: Jan 8, 24 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ruster sports hen house, wheel bag, if you can find one.
IMO - carboard box with foam/airbags, would be more robust than a soft wheel bag. Not 100% fool proof, but better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Somewhere her on the Slowtwitch forum is a thread about someone who brings his wheels on board with him as a carry-on.

That thread was a few years now.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a wheelset. [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how they got them through the scanner at security.
In all my years of flying I've never seen a wheel bag in any terminal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you to all for the feedback. The cardboard wheel box seems to be the way to go. Considering that I may find that the wheels I have here work just as well as my 1275 gram 38mm deep carbon clinchers. I have KSYRIUM SL’s on my California bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like the risk of your lightweight wheels getting crushed isn't worth it to save ~200g on a bike you ride a few times each year. YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just flew a wheel from TUS to SYD. Left it in the original box. Went to the pool store and got 2 pool noodles, cut them in half and put 2 on each side. Then stuffed some clothes in there.

Wheels arrived no fuss no muss

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technically there are options, including Wheel Box | Bike Box Alan

But I'd say this doesn't make financial sense for your use case. The 'dicking about factor' as well as pure financial cost will way outweigh the additional 'joy'.

And you could buy some decent enough wheels for the cost of the box and the shipping.....
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a wheelset. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve flown with a cardboard box and loads of packing and a couple of thin bits of ply either side to stop puncture damage through spikes, had no problem.

Thought about building a small wooden frame in the box as weight isn’t an issue. Risked it without and had no problems. Maybe something to consider if you’re handy with tools and paranoid about damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a wheelset. [Helltrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helltrack wrote:
ruster sports hen house, wheel bag, if you can find one.
IMO - carboard box with foam/airbags, would be more robust than a soft wheel bag. Not 100% fool proof, but better.

100% agree.

I've flown many times with my Ruster Armored Hen House double-wheel bag. From what the OP had linked, the Ruster's rigid sides seem to have more protection. I've had zero issues or problems. I don't think they're in production any more, but may be available on the secondary market once in a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a zipp 2x padded wheel bag that I’m no longer using. Just sent you a pm. Also located in IL.
Quote Reply