Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flu & Cracked Ribs
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to cough hard enough to crack your ribs?

About six weeks ago I got the flu and after a few days in bed I was well enough to get to work but not exercise. During the next 3+ weeks I coughed almost constantly. At first the coughs were shallow and frequent, but towards the end much less frequent but deep and hard. At about that time my ribs on my right side started to hurt. I just figured I pulled something.

The cough is now mostly gone and I have started to exercise, but I am still feeling pain in my ribs on my right side. Coughing is painful as is sneezing, something I do a bit this time of year with all the ragweed. Sleeping on my back impossible so I have to sleep on my left side. If I apply pressure to my sternum I feel pain in my ribs to the right.

So my two questions are...
1) Is it possible to crack a rib by coughing or have I just pulled something?
2) If I have cracked a rib, should I take a break from running? Cycling seems OK and running only hurts a little bit, but the night after any runs seem more painful than at other times.

I have no races planned at this time, so I only doing easy base training. I hate to take any time off since I've already take six weeks off due to the flu.

Thanks,
Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Flu & Cracked Ribs [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion - You don't have broken ribs although, maybe.

I would adjust training away from pain thresholds of 4 or higher

OR

Borrow some prescription pain medicine from an elderly neighbor and get my ass out the door brother!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possible but unlikely if you are otherwise in good health. Most likely pleurisy, costochondritis, or some kind of intercostal muscle strain. As long as you don't have a displaced fracture running isn't going to hurt you, but it may be painful to breathe hard if you have pleurisy. Don't run if you have fever. If it's not better in a week or 10 days go see a doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably pulled an intercostal muscle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would a limb have to drop off for you to go see a Dr?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is possible to crack a rib coughing. If you have tenderness at a single point on the rib, it may well be cracked.

Generally you can do what you can tolerate. It takes about 8 weeks to heal if cracked. After my acccident, I was able to run after about 6 weeks, but before that I could do the stepper and elliptical. (Sleeping on that side took longer.)

When I was able to run it sure did force me to have a quiet upper body.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Flu & Cracked Ribs [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Would a limb have to drop off for you to go see a Dr?[/reply]

Heh. My doctor and I have developed a good relationship over the past 6 weeks. Thank goodness for health insurance. But it was a Saturday night and I was debating whether I should get up and run this morning, or just sleep in. I slept in.

I'm betting it is a pulled muscle or something similar. I'll take it easy and shift to cycling for a while.

Thanks,
Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ribs don't have to be cracked to hurt.
A bruised rib can hurt like a bitch, for weeks - esp. when you wake up in the morning, or when you sneeze.

Not saying that's what you have, just sharing the info.
-charles
Quote Reply