Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Florida starting to open back up
Quote | Reply
Some parks in Florida are re-opening today. Some beaches across the State are opening for Exercise only, such-as, Running, Biking, Swimming, Surfing, etc... Gatherings of less than 50 people. I'm excited to see this.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 people... quite the cautious limit

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crazy stuff.

......most if not all of the US states have barely even reached the peak, let alone beaten the virus and already some started are thinking they have the enemy whipped and are relaxing the rules. Madness.

I live in Spain, we are now into the 6th week of total lockdown, I mean total, it is truly more like martial law. But most Spanish citizens I know have great faith that it is some pain for the long term gain - very few people here breaking or even questioning the rules. We are likely to get a further 2 week extension next week and the only relaxation point some people are now demanding is whether kids should be allowed outside for some limited fresh air staying close to home and for a very limited 30-60’ per day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What could go wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a look right after the opening, just as predicted;

https://nypost.com/...-reopens-some-parks/

It blows my mind that of all places to get lax on this, it is Florida. The place with probably the most folks in the bulls eye of this virus. Of course there is the Trump+ governor, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look for a surge in Florida cases the first half of May....The Florida governor really impresses me with his intelligence and firm grasp of facts

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Maybe some people in some countries are more accustomed to it (maybe back to time under Franco in Spain, the Stazi watching your every move in East Germany etc. )

Some see the risks of turning into a Police State, don't like it, and resist.

That, and the need for the economy not to be crucified for a decade.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

Maybe some people in some countries are more accustomed to it (maybe back to time under Franco in Spain, the Stazi watching your every move in East Germany etc. )

Some see the risks of turning into a Police State, don't like it, and resist.

That, and the need for the economy not to be crucified for a decade.

Good God, if that doesn't expose the issues in the US right now, I don't know what does.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Berlin Wall was removed in 1989. Or for some a lifetime.
Franco Died in 1975, and it wasn't much of a police state for 60 years.
Never heard of the Roaring 20's after Spanish Flu (no one actually knows where it started)

Never heard of common sense being referred to as a Police State before. But then some don't have it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in St. Johns County the county south adjacent to Duval County where Jacksonville sits. St. John’s is home to St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra Beach, Sawgrass.

Our beaches opened up this morning. Our beach rules are a bit more restrictive than Duval.

“Under the guidelines put in place by county leaders, no one can bring chairs, grills and towels. That means beachgoers are not allowed to layout and suntan.

Activities allowed on St. Johns County beaches: Walking, running, exercise, surfing, biking, fishing, swimming, and other uses that require physical activity.

Activities NOT allowed: Sunbathing, and sitting, or those otherwise not allowed by local, state, or federal law are not permitted. In addition, items not allowed on the beach include blankets, chairs, coolers, umbrellas, tents and any item that promotes a stationary presence.

Beach visitors must continue to adhere to CDC social distancing guidelines, including limiting gatherings to no more than 10 persons and distancing themselves from other parties by a minimum of six feet.”

It will come down to enforcement. I’m kind of fine with this as long as people keep moving, keep their distance from one another, and actually do what’s proposed... exercise.

But people are fucking idiots so I can see the counties shutting them down again.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 18, 20 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprised by this

Dr. Phil Claims Shutdowns Deadlier Than Coronavirus
http://a.msn.com/...-us/BB12Ll4c?ocid=se
Last edited by: MrTri123: Apr 18, 20 10:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let’s move all scheduled races to Florida
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That mistake has already been made, in Singapore, on Hokkaido, in Sweden. Each time restrictions were lifted the virus came roaring back. Of course. Why wouldn't it? Barring doing something different such as herd immunity or a vaccine of course the same thing would happen again. The pandemic in a given community started in the first place by a small number, or even just one, infected patient. Now we have hundreds or thousands or more.

If you don't get it take a look at charts here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/...in_the_United_States

Exponential growth. The number of new cases far exceeding the number of recovered + dead.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Surprised by this

surprised that a tv doctor likes going on tv and spewing nonsense?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Our dumbass governor would probably be fine with that.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Surprised by this

surprised that a tv doctor likes going on tv and spewing nonsense?
Dr Phil lost his license a long time ago. Not that it matters because his degree was in psychology. He was never a doctor he portrays himself to be on TV.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chgrubb wrote:
Crazy stuff.

......most if not all of the US states have barely even reached the peak, let alone beaten the virus and already some started are thinking they have the enemy whipped and are relaxing the rules. Madness.

I live in Spain, we are now into the 6th week of total lockdown, I mean total, it is truly more like martial law. But most Spanish citizens I know have great faith that it is some pain for the long term gain - very few people here breaking or even questioning the rules. We are likely to get a further 2 week extension next week and the only relaxation point some people are now demanding is whether kids should be allowed outside for some limited fresh air staying close to home and for a very limited 30-60’ per day.

In most places in the US, you can get out and exercise. You just have to maintain physical distance from others. Don’t get me wrong I don’t enjoy not being able to go out to restaurants or bars or the coffee shop but people are acting like they’re in prison. I can go for walks. Go for a ride. Go for a run. Walk my dogs. Go pick up some beer.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
chgrubb wrote:
Crazy stuff.

In most places in the US, you can get out and exercise. You just have to maintain physical distance from others. Don’t get me wrong I don’t enjoy not being able to go out to restaurants or bars or the coffee shop but people are acting like they’re in prison. I can go for walks. Go for a ride. Go for a run. Walk my dogs. Go pick up some beer.

This. We can't go to coffee shops or restaurants, and we work from home. And yeah swimming pools and gyms are closed. Other than that it's business as usual as long as we stay away from other people. Been running and biking out every day. Even saw cops on bikes on trails and a deputy one time in the woods while trail running. He was looking for a couple of young shitheads falling trees across trails. Not looking to bust people out enjoying themselves responsibly.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Apr 18, 20 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sure you saw the HB protest (although I thought I read it was only about 100 people). Why is HB the Florida of Southern California?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Here is a look right after the opening, just as predicted;

https://nypost.com/...-reopens-some-parks/

It blows my mind that of all places to get lax on this, it is Florida. The place with probably the most folks in the bulls eye of this virus. Of course there is the Trump+ governor, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised..

+Brian Kemp (Georgia). This had to be his April fools joke: "the recent discovery that the virus can be spread by people who are not exhibiting symptoms."

So glad to live in California. Prior to this, I wasn't a fan of our governor but he's leading us through this like an adult.

"All four living former California governors – Pete Wilson, Gray Davis, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jerry Brown – have agreed to join a task force to come up with a recovery plan for the state’s economy, shattered by soaring unemployment brought about by the coronavirus pandemic."

That said, I'm heading out for a long ride...solo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode out thru Ortega and Riverside today and the tennis courts of the yacht club couldn’t have had more people. But I don’t think that’s a Florida thing.

Why were beaches packed? Because for weeks they’ve been off limits and then, when a lot of other things remained closed, they were reopened. What did we think would happen? Plus yesterday was perfect weather. Beaches should just have stayed open for the activities they are right now and then it wouldn’t have been a rush.

Swimming in the ocean is a lot better than the shallow creek I’ve been swimming in. I’m hoping beaches stay open for swimming.

I’d be more concerned about the parks being opened where there will be lots of contact of playground equipment. I’d take my family for a walk on the beach where we don’t touch anything but won’t be going to the playground anytime soon.

This whole thing is like a training block - quarantine, stage 1, stage 2, stage 3, repeat...

The question is are we going to stay holed up until a vaccine is widely available or are we going to say we’re ok with the pandemic as long as the healthcare system isn’t overwhelmed. Sounds like the US is leaning towards the latter while Spain is leaning towards the former. I see pro/cons of both and don’t see either as the “right” answer because there is no single right answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised a lot of you think this is just going to go away as long as everybody stays locked up or that you want to stay locked up until a needle in your arm tells you you're safe. At some point we have to learn to live with this and just be safer and cleaner. So far there are 25000 cases in Florida, 740 deaths. The past 12 days there deaths have lowered more and more. As somebody stated above, Yes, we are Stay At Home but it's pretty much life as it was before. The only thing I've seen is Parks closed and restaurants are take out only. That hasn't changed. Most businesses are open. The Beaches are not a free for all and I'm sure if there is a major rise in cases we will shut them down. At some point we have to start relaxing the rules and SLOWLY get back to a new normal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

timr wrote:
The past 12 days there deaths have lowered more and more.

I don't believe that is a factually correct statement. [source]

You might have confused it with cases, which have flattened out and started to decline (the huge spike yesterday notwithstanding).
Last edited by: trail: Apr 18, 20 13:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Our dumbass governor would probably be fine with that.

Not directly related to your post but since you live in Florida replying to you just because. I was talking to my wife about this and I said "I wonder when some governors of other states will start shutting down entry into the state for people traveling from certain places or just in general." It sucks if Florida opens up like this because of course cases will spike and all hell will break loose. But what is even worse is all of the other people around the country thinking they can go vacation in Florida now that the beaches are open then go back to their home state and then totally screw up the lock downs that most states still have then we will be back to square one.

No matter how you look at opening things up in Florida, this is going to be an even bigger national disaster, in my opinion, because it will just add fuel to the fire of those in Michigan and other states who are protesting opening the state back up. But even if Illinois opens stuff back up I am going to be sitting my ass in my backyard with my wife and daughter because my school year is done so all I am doing now is being a dad and teaching E-Learning.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://experience.arcgis.com/...4fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

This is the website for Florida. Use the arrows on the top to go over the charts. There is one for deaths.

Quote Reply

Prev Next