Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami
Quote | Reply
I am looking to do a half and I see these are both the same weekend. Can anyone provide some insight between the two?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only done the Clermont race. The swim is in a large Florida lake. The water is tinted red and dark. You basically can't see your hand in front of your face. Bike is mostly flat but hilly for Florida. Run is flat. Race is like in its 30th year. Very well organized. Last year was cancelled due to Tornado threat. I'm doing the Olympic on Saturday and sprint on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I am looking to do a half and I see these are both the same weekend. Can anyone provide some insight between the two?

Have done both

To me the Miami bike was the most dangerous race I have done in many years of racing.
Last edited by: MrTri123: Feb 11, 23 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly I would do Clash... They have fixed any and all "bugs" that series has ever had. Its a great experience.

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [JUDEBURKE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Is there a reason the water is that color? Assuming it’s safe since the race is there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Interesting. Is there a reason the water is that color? Assuming it’s safe since the race is there.

It's been a long while since I raced Clermont, but when I was there, it was the typically color of a non-spring fed Florida freshwater body- tannic brown. Yes, very limited visibility, but not harmful.
https://30a.com/...al-dune-lakes-water/
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

Have done both

To me the Miami bike was the most dangerous race I have done in many years of racing.

32 of the 56mi on the bike course are on a completely closed to traffic Card Sound Rd which is a 2 lane road through the mangroves and a closed bridge to Key Largo. What aspects did you not like or feel unsafe?

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dre wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

Have done both

32 of the 56mi on the bike course are on a completely closed to traffic Card Sound Rd which is a 2 lane road through the mangroves and a closed bridge to Key Largo. What aspects did you not like or feel unsafe?

Do you know when they will be posting maps for the 2024 Miami race?
1600 meters Swim, 30 mile Bike, 8 mile Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dre wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

Have done both

Ah ok totally different race

Sorry.

I was thinking this was MIAMI man

I see this year they cut the course from 56 mile bike to only 30 miles
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
dre wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

Have done both

The good: 2024 maps are posted here
https://clashendurance.com/pages/miami

The bad: we're having some coding issues so when you click on the map to enlarge or download it is pulling last year's 2023 file... LAME

The bike is closed to vehicle traffic and the run is entirely on the speedway property. Based on previous athlete feedback, this distance will be a good early season (March 8-10, 2024) test of fitness without doing the 1.2/56/13.1.

I'll try pasting below

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I notice the swim is two laps. Do participants exit the water and go across a timing mat between laps?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Thanks. I notice the swim is two laps. Do participants exit the water and go across a timing mat between laps?

Yes, Aussie exit between laps. You can see some of the top pros navigate it here. Interesting to note the lake is spring fed and has a hole in the corner to 50+ft deep. Super clear and clean albeit small...hence the 2 laps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSJfeoez5I

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dre wrote:
imsparticus wrote:
dre wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

Have done both

The good: 2024 maps are posted here
https://clashendurance.com/pages/miami

The bad: we're having some coding issues so when you click on the map to enlarge or download it is pulling last year's 2023 file... LAME

The bike is closed to vehicle traffic and the run is entirely on the speedway property. Based on previous athlete feedback, this distance will be a good early season (March 8-10, 2024) test of fitness without doing the 1.2/56/13.1.

I'll try pasting below

So 83% of usually half distance swim
55% of usual half distance bike
60% of usual half distance run

Would have been nice if the swim was 55 or 60% of usual swim

But then again this is from a runner/biker and slow swimmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

But then again this is from a runner/biker and slow swimmer.[/quote]
Opposite of you, I was a HS and college swimmer and when I coached masters with the late Steve Tarpinian he always said that in the early 90s someone put on a "triangle tri" where each discipline would take roughly 1hr...like an equilateral triangle. I think it was like 2.4mi, 40km, 8mi? He said only like 8 people showed up because most triathletes hate to swim :-)

I think 1mi, 30mi, 8mi has a nice symmetry, but as most RDs know, there is no pleasing everyone! Hope to see you in Miami in March, if not then Daytona this December

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dre wrote:

Opposite of you, I was a HS and college swimmer and when I coached masters with the late Steve Tarpinian he always said that in the early 90s someone put on a "triangle tri" where each discipline would take roughly 1hr...like an equilateral triangle. I think it was like 2.4mi, 40km, 8mi? He said only like 8 people showed up because most triathletes hate to swim :-)

I think 1mi, 30mi, 8mi has a nice symmetry, but as most RDs know, there is no pleasing everyone! Hope to see you in Miami in March, if not then Daytona this December[/quote]

Is it true no more pros at Miami or Daytona?

Heard Breakfast with Bob say that
Last edited by: MrTri123: Aug 31, 23 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]
Is it true no more pros at Miami or Daytona?

Heard Breakfast with Bob say that[/quote]

Big bummer, but no Clash Endurance Daytona will not be hosting a pro event in 2023. We are a small team and host lots of events inside of a weekend.

All in it should be close to 4,000 athletes and we are focusing our resources on making this a true National Championship level event for the age groupers and their families. We are proud to have been designated the 2023 USAT Long Course National Championship! Hope you decide to join us.

DAYTONA
Friday
- 5:30pm Jingle Jog 5k 1,500+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Woipefpx_w

Saturday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7e89ybR0pM
- TWO Sprint Tri/Du 1,200+ (600+ in 7am competitive wave, 600+ in 9:15am recreational wave)
- Kids Tri 100
- Redline Relay (bike only race, new for 2023) 150+
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsUBIeTALrk/?hl=en
- Test Track (recreational bike ride only) 300+

Sunday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYIqc8oWfGM
- USA Triathlon Long Course National Championship triathlon/duathlon/aquabike 900+
- Slots for Team USA for 2024 World Championships in Townsville, Australia
- Run course now 3 laps so with the section under the stadium through the Christmas lights there are 3.6mi of shade in the 13.1mi run.

OTHER ADDITIONS
- USAT Level II Coaching Certification clinic on-site
https://www.triathlonlearning.com/pages/level-ii-coach
- Bike wash/lube station in expo
- Saturday evening movie night in the RV lots (The Grinch, Elf, or Talladega Nights?)
- Bike demos
- Last year some tri-clubs had their own beer mile Saturday evening

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Percentage possibility of gators?

dre wrote:
imsparticus wrote:

Yes, Aussie exit between laps. You can see some of the top pros navigate it here. Interesting to note the lake is spring fed and has a hole in the corner to 50+ft deep. Super clear and clean albeit small...hence the 2 laps

💀 Fxck Cancer Endurance Team 💀
⚡️⚡️ PLUSH Global ⚡️⚡️

Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [JakeLikesDonuts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JakeLikesDonuts wrote:
Percentage possibility of gators?
It is Florida so yes! Expect them to climb over TWO concrete walls and high fences while dodging cars on track. The track is hot probably 250/year. Or they could walk through one of the two tunnels to access the infield. Gators aren't your worry...it is the Florida Man!!!

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [Dentista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dentista wrote:
I have only done the Clermont race. The swim is in a large Florida lake. The water is tinted red and dark. You basically can't see your hand in front of your face. Bike is mostly flat but hilly for Florida. Run is flat. Race is like in its 30th year. Very well organized. Last year was cancelled due to Tornado threat. I'm doing the Olympic on Saturday and sprint on Sunday.

I would not call the bike "mostly flat". It has one hill after another plus it is always windy on the few flat sections. That Clash race is on a speedway for God's sake, and that is a truly flat bike course. Compared to Clash, Clermont is hilly. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great event! Too bad there is no professional race this year (that's why I had trouble finding pro races info when I was looking the other day!). I hope you are able to bring it back. Milwaukee with USAT Nationals and the PTO race was a pretty sweet weekend for a triathlon fan.

I assume you are eagerly awaiting the PTO/World Triathlon schedule details in October? Seems like this would be the US qualifier for the age group world championship PTO race (presumably in Townsville). I'd expect that to create increased interest in the race after it is officially announced.

Any plans to expand to the Midwest or West? I don't even know if the venues exist, but I'd do one of these if it was closer.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Dentista wrote:

I would not call the bike "mostly flat". It has one hill after another plus it is always windy on the few flat sections. That Clash race is on a speedway for God's sake, and that is a truly flat bike course. Compared to Clash, Clermont is hilly. :)

I lived in Clermont for 6yrs and it is punchy! No hills longer than 1/3-1/2mi long, but steep! Yes, Clash races are based on speedways, but the bike courses leave property onto surrounding roadways to get our distance so it is not just loops of the speedway.

The sprints in Daytona are 100% on track. 5 laps of the 2.5mi oval and the front and backstretch are as wide as highways. We split the sprint tri/du into 2 start times, the 7am competitive wave and the 9:15am recreational wave. We'll sell those out again, probably late October for those, with 600 in each wave. Rolling swim starts also help us throttle the crowds.

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Florida Challenge vs Clash Miami [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwmott wrote:
Sounds like a great event! Too bad there is no professional race this year (that's why I had trouble finding pro races info when I was looking the other day!). I hope you are able to bring it back. Milwaukee with USAT Nationals and the PTO race was a pretty sweet weekend for a triathlon fan.

I assume you are eagerly awaiting the PTO/World Triathlon schedule details in October? Seems like this would be the US qualifier for the age group world championship PTO race (presumably in Townsville). I'd expect that to create increased interest in the race after it is officially announced.

Any plans to expand to the Midwest or West? I don't even know if the venues exist, but I'd do one of these if it was closer.

Clash Endurance Daytona this December is the 2023 USAT Long Course National Championship. As such, we have slots available for the 2024 Multisport World Championships in Townsville, Australia https://townsville.triathlon.org/

Writing on the wall / crystal ball would say that it is highly likely that would be a 2024 World Triathlon/PTO event. Hope to see you at the races!

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daytona is a GREAT race

I highly recommend it

Miami WILL be great when the swimmer background Dre Shortens the swim or lengthens the bike and run. Lol. J/k sort of lol

I am SURE that is a great race as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

You could look at it this way (glass is half full).

6.6% longer than the Olympic distance swim
21% longer than the Olympic distance bike
29% longer than the Olympic distance run

As a runner/biker, this should make you happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

But then again this is from a runner/biker and slow swimmer.

That's a bit of a reach. This race is slightly longer than Olympic distance. The swim is the short leg.

Swim 7% longer
Bike 21% longer
Run 29% longer
Quote Reply

Prev Next