Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Florida's Great Escape -- Any Tips?
Quote | Reply
I am doing Florida's Great Escape at the end of February. Does anyone have any advice or tips for me with this race? I would appreciate any information.

Things like, should I have a pair of shoes by swim exit. Or anything of that nature.

Thanks

----->Trent
Quote Reply
Re: Florida's Great Escape -- Any Tips? [trent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm probably going there also.. nobody has any tips?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water will probably be chilly so bring a full wetsuit. Longer transition run might require shoes depending on how tough your feet are. The bike has a few hills so do some hill repeats prior. The run will be mostly on pavement this year thus not as difficult as last year's.

If you sign up for our Winter Break training camp being held the same weekend (click here), race entry is included with the camp fee.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good going for doing the race. Plan on a long run in T1, maybe omehting to practice. Also, some hills on the bike. The course is available for the CT if you have one. Marty and I are doing the camp there for a few days before so if we can help let us know!

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Re: Florida's Great Escape -- Any Tips? [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marty--how far from the swim exit to T1? Basically I am asking so I know how far Grogan will have to be carried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are signs everywhere warning about alligators. And the pitch black water doesn't help. But try to ignore all that. Hopefully Marty's tri camp will make some sacrifices earlier in the week and keep the gators satiated.

Arrive early so you can get a good parking spot. Otherwise you'll be parking way the heck down the road and have to drag all your tri gear on foot to the transition area.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Florida's Great Escape -- Any Tips? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Grogan's will be entered this year, unless the envelope that is sitting on the counter with the entry form and check disapears while his wife is out of town. And please don't encourage him-he will be more sleep deprived than he knows and trying to get the hang of changing diapers and comforting his heir.

http://www.GearforMultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Marty said, you will want a FULL wetsuit and depending on the temperatures in the next month possibly a neoprene cap.

You won't be able to feel your feet on the rough pavement from the swim, so shoes are totally up to you (you can't feel the rock that might get in your shoes too from coming up the beach either). Some people left wetsuits at the shoe transition which we were once told was not allowed, but hopefully this year there will be penalties for abandoning equipment on the course.

The bike is rolling hills and not the Big ones Clermont is known for.

The run should be much more agreeable to most people because it won't be so much offroad (I loved it last year in the sugar sand and mud)

Going to the camp that weekend would be ideal because you would get great first hand knowledge of the course and more specific tips. And you might get to stay in the Great city of Clermont a little longer.

Hope this helps

http://www.GearforMultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Florida's Great Escape -- Any Tips? [Kimbo215] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kimbo let's see a picture of you with that full belly!

You're right the run last year really defined the race and was a lot of fun. Too bad they took it out. I hope they put it back in again next year.

A friend swam in a wetsuit with a busted zipper last year. 65 degree water (or whatever it was) streamed into his back the entire swim. He couldn't feel his feet until well into the run, when he realized he had been running with a gel packet in his shoe...

And he still beat my fat ass!

Quote Reply
Re: Florida's Great Escape -- Any Tips? [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here ya go! I had to post this cause I told her go out and do a 10 mile tempo run.
Last edited by: KJGrog: Jan 5, 05 18:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FGE tips -

#1 - Arrive early - close parking to the transition fill up early - late arrivals get to warm up by walking a bit to the transition.

#2 - Arrive early - after you get your bike into the transition you will walk about 3/4 mile to the "shoe transition". You can leave your shoes on the Gatorade Bag with your race # in this transition. Then you will walk over the boardwalk and down the beach to the swim start. Do not forget your swim cap, goggles and ChampionChip or you have to walk back to the transition!

#3 - Wear a full body wet-suit - the water will be cold - we had to pull out a old athlete (68 yers old with 0% body fat) last year - he got very cold because he had a sleeveless wetsuit.(and no body fat)

#4 - Ignore the "Danger - alligator" signs. The park puts them up for the english tourists who come all the way to Florida to have their picture taken next to the sign.

Every lake in Florida has gators and they will be as far away as possible from 500 people jumping into the water.

#5 - 18 mile bike - rolling hills, rural roads. We have a great bike coordinator - Tim Johnson (He also works on Ironman bike courses) Tim will have the roads clean and clear for the race with plenty of police and volunteers to show you the way! (No bottle exchange so bring two bottles with you)

#6 - Run course - last year we had a tough an 8 mile trail run - Joanna Zieger told me it was the toughest run she has ever done including Ironman Marathons.

We took out 6 miles of trails and put the run on pavement for those 6 miles - You will still have 2 miles of trails with some soft sand.

#7 - Pick up your race packet on Saturday at the National Training Center (NTC) in Clermont from 12:00 Noon to 6:00 PM. South Lake Bicycles will be set up for anything you need for the race. You can also ship your bike to Mark at South Lake Bicycles and he will have it ready for you at the NTC.

#8 - If you coming into Orlando early, come to the NTC and get tested or just train. Marty and Lee's camp is a great deal - FREE Entry into the race!

#9 - Stay at Summer Bay Resort - the host hotel or camp at Lake Louisa State Park. Check out the new cabins - you will see them on the run course. They will not be ready for this year's race, but they will be for next year!

#10 - Smile when you see a camera - the race will be featured on WFTV in Orlando and also on Sunshine Network in Florida!

#11 Support our great sponsors - train on Gatorade, GU and Baker's Breakfast Cookies. Purchase a Xterra Wetsuit and use Ironman Jointflex!

#12 - Have Fun, be nice to your fellow athletes and make sure you say thankyou to our volunteers.

We will take 1,000 athletes into the race, so sign up now at www.usantc.com. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Florida's Great Escape -- Any Tips? [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang! A few more of those runs and she'll lose the weight in no time... especially around the abdomen. Also you may want to tell her to get aero and to look fierce. Tri season is fast approaching in Florida, and there's no time to waste. ;-)

Also how come Ironman is not on the TV?????

Quote Reply