Quote | Reply
yes chris for the carbon clincher

looking forward to it.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
I hope you guys are stockpiling enough wheels for the upcoming sale in April. Nine pages so far on this thread and nearly 6000 views indicate a pretty solid demand for your new products.
Congrats on your new line of wheels. I just wish the Cdn dollar was a little stronger.

Each order historically has contained about 450 carbon wheels. This one will have 1,000. So contrary to what some people think, we are doing what we can to grow. There are so many components that go into growing a business, and having stock isn't as simple has hitting the "more wheels" button. For example, consider the cost to develop this new product line. Seven new wheel molds, hiring an engineering team full time at CD-Adapco, prototypes, trips to Taiwan, traveling to and riding IM courses, a couple days in the A2 Wind tunnel at $600 an hour etc. I'm not saying this to brag, but just trying to illustrate the point that there are many facets to consider. This is especially true when the goal is to stick around and not make a quick buck off of one product line. The R&D budget for this line of products is something we couldn't have even fathomed 5 years ago when we were building our first prototype in our one car garage. It's all a big puzzle and we are putting the pieces together the best that we can.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [b.will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b.will wrote:
Love the new wheels. Only if I could justify the cost. I currently have Flo 90s with a disc cover on the rear. If I'm reading the chart right, its about a 40 sec savings over an IM for the '12 vs '16. Is that right?

Thanks for putting out a great product.

Thank you. Ryan Cooper from Best Bike Split is crunching some serious numbers right now. We'll have really good estimates on time savings for some common IM courses available soon. I spoke with Carl Matson from Trek earlier, and he told me that our numbers/findings are lining up with theirs as well. So that's reassuring.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CBJFan wrote:
I have a set of 60/90 and bought a set of 30 for my wife's road bike. Love the wheels and the customer service. Thanks for what you are doing.

I have been looking at options to reducing weight by getting diffrnet wheelset. My target races are hilly (Zofingen). I am curious about braking and reliability. Descending at 45+ and having to slow down for a turn. I will your braking report detail braking from a high speed descent and heat buildup ? Have you done much testing of cc wheels at high speed (descending). Would you suggest a set of 45 for this type of course ? Right now I am leaning to staying with my 60/90 combo and aluminium but the wheels sure are tempting.

We will definitely be testing heat build up in the braking report. Our initial tests are all good, but keep in mind that our factory has been refining the braking surface over years as well. We certainly haven't partnered up with a first time rim maker for this project. We are using arguably the top rim manufacturer in Taiwan for this product.

Regarding the FLO 45 wheels for that course. They would be a great choice, but the weight of our other Carbon Clincher wheels are all very low now, so if you can handle the wheels in crosswinds, I'd lean towards a deeper and more aero set for racing triathlon.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [Mister944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mister944 wrote:
Any Clydes option on the CC wheels?

Thanks

There sure will be. Standard build wheels will be rated up to 198lbs and our Clydesdale build wheels will be rated up to 242lbs.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbilius wrote:
I just went through the whole website and new contest and am very impressed! This is how an aero product should be launched.

I am curious if you have data that you are willing to share regarding how your wheels compare to some of your competitors. I really liked now November put out their data for the rail vs the 404. You guys thinking for anything similar?

In all honesty no. There are several reasons and the biggest reason is that there are so many variables that go into wind tunnel results. We studied a lot of those while in the tunnel this year. For example, tire pressure effects, your results. Something as small as a 5psi difference matters. I think no matter what we did to be as fully transparent as possible, people would doubt our results. I personally think the only way to have a direct comparison that people would believe, would be to have a representative from each brand at the same tunnel, at the same time testing together. While I personally would love to be part of a study like this, my guess is that most companies wouldn't share the same excitement for the idea.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulbanday wrote:
yes chris for the carbon clincher

looking forward to it.
In Reply To:

Yes, for the carbon clincher.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris
always great to have product engineers here to answer questions directly thanks.

are you able to provide any input on the durability of the new full carbon clinchers? i realise its a bit early to have any real world long term experience but would you be able to give some indication of expected mileage lifespan given "normal" use? i'm thinking of a set of 45s for training and race use on my road bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough! You have been really generous with your responses, and have won over a customer with your transparency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think these are a very good product, and these will likely be my next set of wheels. They look fantastic, the data is good, your testing protocol seems robust, and they’re extremely well priced. I'm really pleased with how positive the response has been here and elsewhere.

However as you note, coastal courses (and those beside large inland bodies of water) produce higher yaw angles. Many triathlons are held beside the ocean, and many of the remainder are held beside large lakes, with significant parts of the ride exposed to these conditions. However your testing has two of four locations with what appear to be inland ride courses. For those of us who live and race near coasts (in my case it's all coastal and large lakes in Australia and NZ) could you explain how this is going to affect us?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Last edited by: georged: Mar 2, 16 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
BikeTechReview wrote:
Canadian wrote:

Yes. We also used cross wind stability as one of the components in our algorithm. So there were a few factors that went into choosing each rim shape.

Cool! What was the rolling moment that you measured in the wind tunnel, and how does that compare to the competition?

That data is not available from the A2 Wind Tunnel.

Oh. Ok. Stability also relates to steering/yawing moment. What does the tunnel data look like for that component?

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
And yes for the average customer they might check the box, but you have to understand that some of us are actually concerned with going faster than what the average customer thinks is fast. For the record I have had one person on a regular training day pass me on a bike in my entire life.

You are either one of the most cunning, ingenious trolls in forum history or one of the least self aware, most intolerable blowhards on the planet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are you going to go for UCI approval? This may be required for some road racers and even some triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a shame - a couple guys locally race road on the Flo 60's and when they come by they are LOUD - like scary intimidating loud. In a good way, of course :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Ryan Cooper from Best Bike Split is crunching some serious numbers right now. We'll have really good estimates on time savings for some common IM courses available soon. I spoke with Carl Matson from Trek earlier, and he told me that our numbers/findings are lining up with theirs as well. So that's reassuring.

...depending on the model used, yes. the BBS numbers will be interesting...looking forward to seeing them.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always assume that if you're creating noise you're wasting energy, usually in the form of drag.

I wonder if it would be efficient and legal to put a speaker in your disc to make the womp womp sound.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
However as you note, coastal courses (and those beside large inland bodies of water) produce higher yaw angles. Many triathlons are held beside the ocean, and many of the remainder are held beside large lakes, with significant parts of the ride exposed to these conditions. However your testing has two of four locations with what appear to be inland ride courses. For those of us who live and race near coasts (in my case it's all coastal and large lakes in Australia and NZ) could you explain how this is going to affect us?

It won't affect you, a quote from the website regarding if there are differences inland vs coastal vs other yaw angle profiles:
Yes [there were differences], but they were so small that trying to separate them in an attempt to design better wheels would have been unreasonable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
I always assume that if you're creating noise you're wasting energy, usually in the form of drag.

I wonder if it would be efficient and legal to put a speaker in your disc to make the womp womp sound.
No need for the pink. BMW's latest M5s play fake engine sounds through interior speakers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris,

any plans to

1) Re-design the FLO 30 to cope with the new yaw understanding and/or switching to full carbon (shaving off some grams...)?
2) Offer the FLO 45 rims only?
3) Offer your products through an european distributor?

Thanks - and looking forward to the tire report :)

axti
Last edited by: axti: Mar 3, 16 4:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:

Yes. The new Carbon Clinchers are quieter then our Aluminum + Carbon models.

Thanks. I still love my Al + C 60/90s. I will probably stick with them!
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
Hi Chris
always great to have product engineers here to answer questions directly thanks.

are you able to provide any input on the durability of the new full carbon clinchers? i realise its a bit early to have any real world long term experience but would you be able to give some indication of expected mileage lifespan given "normal" use? i'm thinking of a set of 45s for training and race use on my road bike

As I said in a previous post, we aren't using a first time carbon factory to build these wheels. We are using arguably the best rim manufacturer around who has been building and refining these products for a very long time. We also didn't invest all of this time and money into this project only focus on aerodynamics. What would be the point of building a very aerodynamic but poor quality wheel. These wheels can be used for both training and racing, are very stiff, yet compliant, and in my opinion are the best products we have ever made.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
So are you going to go for UCI approval? This may be required for some road racers and even some triathletes.

We are considering it.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
I think these are a very good product, and these will likely be my next set of wheels. They look fantastic, the data is good, your testing protocol seems robust, and they’re extremely well priced. I'm really pleased with how positive the response has been here and elsewhere.

I'm not sure if you read the full article on data analysis, but the differences between coastal and inland rides were so small that they didn't effect the design algorithm. More or less, we saw almost identical patterns wherever we were riding.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [axti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axti wrote:
Chris,

any plans to

1) Re-design the FLO 30 to cope with the new yaw understanding and/or switching to full carbon (shaving off some grams...)?

Both are likely yes, but not right now. This was a huge project and we are letting the dust settle with this one before jumping immediately into another redesign.

2) Offer the FLO 45 rims only?

We have been heavily considering selling Carbon Clincher rims only. This would fix a lot of problems. Disc brake wheels, powertap builds etc. are all more skus to stock. If we simply allow our customers to build these options it could help smooth things out. I guess we are trying to get an understanding of demand first.

3) Offer your products through an european distributor?

Well we don't sell anything through distributors. This is the reason our pricing is so good. Distributors want to mark the price up to sell to a bike shop, and then the bike shop wants to mark it up to sell it to you. I can only assume you are asking this because you are hoping to not pay VAT etc. We wanted to fix the exact same thing for our European customers so we looked into it for a month or so last year. The plan was to have a European fulfillment center (like our fulfillment center in America) ship all of our European orders. Long story short, if you aren't a EU based company you're paying VAT/taxes somewhere in the process. So when we import the product we are responsible for the VAT/taxes and then we have to add that to the price to the customer. So unfortunately, you have to pay it regardless. I wish there was a way around this, but there simply isn't.

Thanks - and looking forward to the tire report :)

axti

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BikeTechReview wrote:
Canadian wrote:
BikeTechReview wrote:
Canadian wrote:

Yes. We also used cross wind stability as one of the components in our algorithm. So there were a few factors that went into choosing each rim shape.

Cool! What was the rolling moment that you measured in the wind tunnel, and how does that compare to the competition?

That data is not available from the A2 Wind Tunnel.

Oh. Ok. Stability also relates to steering/yawing moment. What does the tunnel data look like for that component?

Are you trying to calculates watts to spin based off of this? If so, are you going to try and relate our wind tunnel results to a completely different wind tunnel study?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply

Prev Next