Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo 60/90 tubeless conversion
Quote | Reply
Recently purchased a set of Flo wheels 60/90 combo and would like to get opinions from people who have converted Flo 60/90s to tubeless. I would love to hear from others that have converted, any tips/pointers to follow when converting. Also what conversion kit/sealant/tires worked best.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 tubeless conversion [SPC99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This would be a real challenge and would take some MacGuyvering. But I do not think it is impossible. Tape and getting your tires to seal - read elsewhere about that. The real problem will be with the valves.

First off, you need to get full length externally threaded valve extenders, such as these absurdly expensive ones from Stan's. Thing with tubeless valves is you have to have that nut on the valve stem cranked down good and tight to get the valve gasket to seal on the inside of the rim. You can't rely entirely on sealant for that seal since you will be constantly banging the valve around pumping up your tires. On wheels that utilize a fairing vs. a structural deep rim this is really problematic as you will damage the fairing cranking down the nut and not get a tight seal anyways.

My thought is that you would need to find/fabricate a thin metal sleeve that would fit tight around the valve, and make it just longer than the fairing. This would rest on the metal rim deep within the fairing, and you can crank the nut down onto the sleeve such that the valve is secure while the fairing is unaffected. You might need to enlarge the hole in the fairing slightly depending on how tight you can fit your sleeve. How to find or fabricate such a sleeve I do not know. Maybe something like this would work. But that is the direction I would go in to get started. The same solution would apply to the new HED Jet+ rims which carry a tubeless bench but are advertised as being non-tubeless compatible due to the issues outlined above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this with Flo 60/90/Disc and Flo30s using Stans No Tubes conversion kit with Fusion 3s. Works for me with no flats in 3+ years. For this year I may try the Schwalbe one tubeless.

I used the Conti valve extenders with the Stans 44mm Stem.

44mm + 60mm extenders give you about 40mm clearance for the Flo 60.
44mm + 60mm + 30mm (yes 2 extenders connected) for the Flo 90

This link has helped me with extenders.
Last edited by: SBR28: Aug 12, 15 22:25
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 tubeless conversion [SBR28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Question: You used the 21mm tape that came with the kit? I see they have 25mm tape, thinking that may work better with the wider Flo rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used 21mm as per Flo recommendation
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 tubeless conversion [SBR28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks! I've heard all good things about going tubeless and will give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your tubeless setup for road riding? If so, aren't tubeless tires slower than a good tire with latex tube?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 tubeless conversion [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the setup is for a road bike. That is a good point to think about. I've read that both the rolling resistance and weight are decreased with tubeless tires and the threat of a flat is decreased. Is there evidence to the contrary? I try to keep up on the latest research, but sometimes get tired after 52 google result pages :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this search:
https://www.google.com/...e=utf-8&oe=utf-8

General consensus is that tubeless tires kinda suck from a fast rolling standpoint (CRR)*. If they were good, a lot of people would be running them for road racing, and if they were really good, you'd likely see them more in pro racing circles. A good CRR tire with a good latex tube should be way less fuss, and faster than a tubeless setup. Now, offroad is a different story.

*unless anything new has come out recently, and been tested
Last edited by: nickwhite: Aug 13, 15 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 60/90 tubeless conversion [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to bump up an old thread - but I am trying to convert my (older) Flo 60 to tubeless. Does anyone have any pointers on the best valve stem to use - the issue highlight of the carbon fairing is something I am very wary of - so any pointers would be gratefully received. I know Flo recommend the Silca valves, but they are currently very hard (impossible) to get hold of in the UK in the right size - everywhere is out of stock.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply