Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flat road vs trainer
Quote | Reply
Just curious. A buddy suggested I get a trainer to expedite some of my early morning sessions. He says that 45 min on the trainer is like 60 on the road due to no coasting, working all the time, etc. Where I live it is dead pan flat. I rode 60 miles this morning and went up and over 3 overpasses. That was the extent of my elevation gain/loss. Also, there are many areas where it is 5miles or more between stop lights-with no turns inbetween. Isn't that pretty much the same as riding a trainer?
edit:I should also add that I train at 4:30 am which means I ride solo so there is no drafting. I get no breaks.....
Last edited by: Landshark: Jan 23, 05 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Flat road vs trainer [Landshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be interested in hearing everyone's comments as well.

It seems that during a race, there is not going to be much/any stopping for lights? In that case, isn't it the same as riding continously on the trainer?

And also, I guess if you DON'T coast on the downhills and keep pedalling, its the same on the road as per the trainer right???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends upon the trainer. IF the trainer has a feeling similar to the momentum you have on the road, then it will be very much like riding on the road.

Most trainers DON'T have this much inertia...you'd need a fairly large flywheel. One reason most trainers are "harder" than riding on the road is that you don't get the luxury of the coasting through your less-than-most-powerful pedal stroke arcs. I tend to think trainers are good to help a rider develop a more fluid pedal stroke, but, others may rightfully argue that if real road riding HAS the inertia, trainer riding isn't ideal to develop road riding speed.

I look at it like riding on a trainer is somewhat similar to riding uphill...at least in the less intertia area. I've never really heard anyone say that riding uphill doesn't benefit other areas of riding, so I'm of the opinion riding on a trainer can be beneficial to road riding performance.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what its worth my coach and I had this discussion as we were headed into winter and more inside sessions. I have a computrainer so our conversation centered on it versus road. His opinion is that anything up to about 3 hours on the computrainer is equal to about 3 hours on the road. However, once you get to 4 hours on the CT you start to pick up 15-20 minutes per hour after that. It really depends on how many times you get off the trainer to fill the bottles and releave yourself, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat road vs trainer [PH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PH: So does that mean that for Computrainers (I'm using one as well), a 4hr ride indoors = 4 hour ride outdoors assuming I DO NOT get off the trainer?

I have a feeling that, that SHOULD be the case right?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Flat road vs trainer [Tri-sg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delayed response. According to my coach once you are on the trainer for 4 hours it is more like a 4.5 hour ride on the road, that assumes you limit your refill and relief sessions to once every 1.5-2 hours. Once you get to 5 hours on the trainer his thought is that 5 CT hours = 6 road hours, 6 CT hours =7 road hours, etc. The most you really pick up is an hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat road vs trainer [PH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THANKS PH!

That is exactly what I'm asking for.

Hmm...seems that the 4hr CT ride I did yesterday is worth 4.5 then. Thanks again!
Quote Reply