Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fixing a wetsuit tear
Quote | Reply
I have a small tear in my wetsuit, about 1", along a seam in the back. Is there a special type of glue I should get to fix it? If anyone has a specific type of glue to recommend, can you give me the product details or send a link? Also, any advice on how to fix it? I have heard that you are supposed to let the glue dry on both sides of the tear then join them together, but that doesn't seem to make sense... how does dried glue seal anything? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Fixing a wetsuit tear [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CTYankee wrote:
I have a small tear in my wetsuit, about 1", along a seam in the back. Is there a special type of glue I should get to fix it? If anyone has a specific type of glue to recommend, can you give me the product details or send a link? Also, any advice on how to fix it? I have heard that you are supposed to let the glue dry on both sides of the tear then join them together, but that doesn't seem to make sense... how does dried glue seal anything? Thanks!

Just use McNett Blackwitch neoprene glue for this. Very easy, apply a little glue, wait a short while (until glue becomes "matte"); press together ... done
think its best to wait a couple hours (night) before swimming
(removed my comment to use tape to fixate as this seems not needed, and could even cause more damage!)
Last edited by: Kempenaer: Jun 4, 20 5:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neoprene glue is a contact cement.

Put it on both surfaces, let it dry to the touch then put the two pieces together when you're ready.

Don't wait a day for it to dry before putting surfaces together.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixing a wetsuit tear [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bunch of good YouTube videos on this. The old Trisports had a good one.

I wouldn’t use the advice above where it was suggested to apply tape after the glue. It shouldn’t be necessary, and I can imagine the tape sticking to the inevitable little bit of glue that will protrude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the advice- very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On seams that are sewn I will also resew them by hand as well. Recently sewed up about a 10-inch opening down a seam. Took me and my minimal sewing capabilities quite awhile, but its still holding up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have fixed lot of tears and holes in wetsuit. Super easy. If it is a hole you are going to need some stronger upholstery thread which will stand up to the test of time. The following is what I use for that. Stitch it up. Then apply black neoprene cement on the threads. If it is a rip just fill in the rip with a little cement and press the ends together. I like to use a little masking tape to hold the pressure and just leave it there for a day or so. The following cement will do a bang-up job on the suit.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Fixing a wetsuit tear [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree that the tape may not be necessary, it will not be hard to remove from areas it comes in contact with neoprene glue.

It will be just like removing tape from the non-glued surface. I know this seems counter intuitive, but I've done it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CTYankee wrote:
As mentioned, it's a contact cement, and bonds together. Also helps to have some of the heat tape the wetsuit companies use. I'll be happy to send you some w directions, just PM me your details.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply