Login required to post replies

Fixie on a Computrainer?
Quote | Reply
???

Anyone do it?
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie on a Computrainer? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see why really. I dial in watts I want to push and never stop pedaling. I don't see where the benefit would come from since you are constantly pedaling :-)

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie on a Computrainer? [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all financial. I was going to take the slightly bent and dinged up frame I have, put some cheap wheels on it, a fixie conversion kit (OK, more single speed than fixie) and mount it permanently on the computrainer in 53/16 (no brakes, no derailleurs, no shifters). I figure I can add and remove wattage as necessary to get the full workout thing going. Otherwise I could buy some cheap Campy 10 components (oxymoron?) and get the thing shifting like a normal bike. The frame will never see the open road again, so I don't want to invest too much in it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think with 53/16 and adjusting wattage will work. It's at least worth a shot; you can always change the setup.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought of doing this. I think there is a benefit....the benefit from a fixie is not just that you are always pedaling but in how the muscles are engaged through the whole pedal stroke.

I'd be scared though to get my HR as high as I do on my CT, I feel like I might lose my head and launch myself off of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie on a Computrainer? [Cyborg42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds liek a great idea. Remember to make sure the bike geometry is exactly the same as your race bike, otherwise you might loose all fo those new benefits.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie on a Computrainer? [jstuart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never used a fixed gear on a trainer but have used them on rollers. I think a fixed gear and roller combination has provided me with a fairly smooth spin and a nice workout. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm. how would you handle the coast-down calibration runs? I really can't see that being practical and believe me it IS necessary if you want believable watts from the CT..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, since you say it s gonna be a singlespeed, and cost is the driving factor - why not just make it a single ring downtube friction shifting slut bike? you can get an old friction or thumb shifter from any lbs from the junk bin for free. likewise some horrid freewheel rear wheel and six or seven speed freewheel. slap a crappy old chain on there and you will get a lot more from your CT than riding it in one gear will give you, for less than the cost of a singlespeed thread on bmx freewheel.
Quote Reply