Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fixie more dangerous than rollers
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Well the So Cal rains had me open my wallet for rollers. They were a little unnerving for the first few minutes, but no problem now. The fixed gear about did me in!!!

Bought a Specialized Langster and about freakin' killed myself in the first 15 minutes. If you ever decide to try a fixed gear bike here are 5 words to remember.... DO NOT EVER STOP PEDALING!!!! I about went ass over forehead when I stood on the pedals and was just going to stretch the legs out a bit. You know that kind of coast stand on the pedals and arch the lower back stretch. Holy sh$% it was close. No exageration, but the back wheel lifted a good foot off the ground and it was just pure luck I was able to get my butt back on the saddle.

The other thing was going down a steep hill into a corner. Your normal reaction is to stop pedaling, apply some brake and power through the turn. It's counter intuitive to keep pedaling and I really had to fight my brain's desire to stop pedaling.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie more dangerous than rollers [pedalincoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much did that thing set you back? How much does it weigh?
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie more dangerous than rollers [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Not sure about the weight, it's for training. I got what I think is a good deal. Supergo had the '05 on sale for $549 down form $599. I shop there pretty regularly, it's close, so the manager gave me my 10% tri club discount on top. I walked out the door for $530. I figure if I don't like it or use it I can sell it and not be out much if anything.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What gears did it come with? Is that for the complete bike? Well, everything but pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: Fixie more dangerous than rollers [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

It came with a 16 freewheel, so I put a 16 and 18 fixed on the flip/flop and yes that was the bike sans pedals. I didn't realize it came with front and rear brakes. If I keep it, I will change out the bars and just leave the front brake on it. I don't have "track" standing down yet, but am already understanding braking with the pedals. Obliviously that won't cut it in an emergency.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say I love my fixie. It's about all I ride anymore outdoors in the winter. It takes a ride or two to get the hang of it but then it's addictive. Makes climbs a strength workout and downhills a spin up drill, corners have to be ridden in the proper apex to avoid hitting a pedal. But perhaps the best part is the sense of simplicity and pure contact with the bike. Instant feedback on your pedaling. And no mechanicals. Also, since your'e always pedaling it makes workouts more productive and efficient. Best bike I ever built up. Cost me maybe $300 of parts and labor at my LBL from a guy who does all the mesengers bikes in town.
Quote Reply